Front Diff issue??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 99 4-door 4x4.
so my front diff i believe is going out. it makes an aggrivating rattling noise, like a banging i guess (almost as if somethings loose and jumping around inside the diff) while in 2 wheel drive. in 4-HI it makes a really violent noise and.. yea idek how to explain that one, and then bangs out of gear back into 2-hi. I'm assuming the diff is bad, or maybe theres no fluid (which i assume wouldve killed it anyway. so..
A) any ideas?
B) how much am i lookin at to fix/replace it, and whats my best option?

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depending on whats actually wrong with it, it could vary. if it just needs a new ring and pinion gear in it your lookin at a couple hundred for a good set, maybe less for a stock set, and then whatever labor the shop you want it done at charges.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think the CVC joints would be the weak link....Are they OK?

bowhunter22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if I understand this it rattles in 2wd, a little quieter in 4wd but won't stay there, and jumps back to 2wd.
So it sounds like a bearing is gone in the housing, may even caused housing damage. Or it is in the central axle disconect collar, whether it is stripped or the splines are dammaged. Either way sounds like it has to come out and taken apart to find out why it is acting like it is.

Around here front diff is about $400 - $600 from the J/Y if you hit the right spot /right time scenario.
Labour is two hours approximatly for R/R ( not sure what the book rate is though ) That is what it took me to do it. You will need to pull the steering center link from the pitman arm to roll the diff out of the mounts.

If the CV's were bad it would shake the steering wheel or at least pull on it from time to time.

Anyways hope this helps a little.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, well from that it sounds like its not the cv joints. theres no vibration in the wheel, just a dinging from the diff i assume. it stays in 4-hi, its just EXTREMELY loud and im afraid a gears gonna come flying outta the diff or something. lol. it almost sounds like a loud rattle. im gonna start looking into replacing the diff asap. its just so annoying. it makes the truck sound like a beater, when in reality its more or less mint.:mad3:

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
may be a stupid question but are you sure the front and rear gears in your truck are the same?

$400-$600 for a front diff from the J/Y?!?! you can get them around here as the whole assembly for less than $200.

bowhunter22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
remember its the cdn. dollar,, also it's plow season here and the inexperienced up here kibble them fast enough to create a demand for them. If I know some one needing one depending on shipping can I get you to send a few up here.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it wasn't such a drive to go get them out of a truck, strap them to a pallet, and ship them out i'd be up for it. you'd be out more paying for me to go pull them, pack them, and ship them than your $400 fee.

used to hit the Pull-A-Part / Pic-A-Part yards every few weeks spring-fall. hopin to hit them up quite frequently again this year. (need a denalli front end and Limited, Escalade, or Denalli interior to mod into the 2-door :) )

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, i may hit up the junk yard, but im hoping to get something new. we'll see. i think theyre geared the same... i dont see why it wouldnt be, it was bone stock when i got it... anyone know where i can order one online and save the junk yard hassle?

newmarketEOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now with it shifting out of 4WD you sure it is the front axle rite, and not an issue perhaps with the transfer case?

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that was actually going to be my next question. how would i know if it was the transfer case? would it make the rattling noise? and would it do it in both 2 and 4 wheel drive? it almost sounds as if whatever is making noise (i assume the diff, could be wrong) has no fluid in it. i would think with fluid it would sound somewhat muffled, correct?