Front wheel noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackout

Reaction score
I have been hearing a noise coming from my front driverside wheel. It sounds like dropping small rocks into a can or like a couple of small rocks are in the center cap of the wheel but there isn't. I'm guessing it might be a wheel bearing but I haven't taken the wheel off to inspect yet. Any ideas on what it might be?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably the unit bearing, jack up only that side of the truck and put a prybar under the wheel while still torqued down. Lift laterally and check for any play in the balljoints or unit bearing assembly. I'd also look at your tie rods and pitman/idler arms since you're under there. Easiest way to check those is to have someone shake the steering wheel back and forth while you inspect the tie rods and arms for play (you can usually feel a pop on the pitman arm as the wheel turns and loads/unloads off the steering box).
Check out http://cognitomotorsports.com/store/GM_6-Lug_SUV.html
I'm buying their pitman/idler braces and building some heimed steering for my lowered truck, the lifted ones are even more prone to early failure unless you beef them up.

Blackout

Reaction score
I'll check that out. I just replaced the upper balljoints and the outter tierods a couple of months ago. I took it in for an alignment and they told me all those needed to be replaced. I will check evrything again today though.