gas door relocator?? help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anyone ever seen or done where u shave off the gas tank door?? and relocate it??? well my problem is where the hell to relocate it too.. i was thinking making my tail light on a hinge and hiding it back there?? i have a 4 door hoe.. i heard that someone did it on the drivers side passenger door.. like by the striker.?? idont like that one.. i was thinking about that taillight one tho.. any help out there??

zerominded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that would be your best bet. if it was a pickup, you'd have the option of doing it inside the bed. but with our tahoes, that isn't an option because of smells and possible overspill. or, you could custom fab a hose that comes out of the wheel well for fill-ups, and can be re-hidden when not.

1999HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
either tailight or steal the license plate hinge off a old caddy and hide it behind there.....

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you'd be venting gas vapors right behind an electrical light (one in which is known to have problems with the light bar). Honestly i wouldn't do it to me, but its your hoe.

the license plate mod would probably be to low to actually fill the tank.

Off the top of my head the door jam would be the only logical location to keep the fumes out of the cab and not risk any sort of spark.

Harry Pluta

Reaction score
Since these are sealed systems I don't think venting behind the light would be an issue, evaporating gas from spills on the other hand would be. You have me thinking now. I was thinking it would be fun to remove the stock lights and french in some bullet tailights. At that point a hidden compartment below where the lights are might work out, ala '57 Chevy.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i like your thinking.. i have a 57 caddy, im not sure if its the same way as the chevy but these 2 lenses fold up then its behind there.. idk.. im still thinking this through... i cant do that license plate one, bcuz im frnching in my licnense plate into my tail gate and having a smooth bumper (rollpan).. huh does any one have any pictures of any cars with hidden gas lids?? thanks

1999HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ide say for easeability the tailight is the best bet just make sure she closes evertime u fill up dont want that thing flappin around lol

Harry Pluta

Reaction score
Check out this link!

http://www.customrodder.com/tech/0601cr_fuel_door/

And with that present I have a question. The last time I worked in steel you had to braze everything together and then use lead or fiberglass to finish it. ( yes I'm that old ). I would like to get into the 21st century. What is going to be best for sheet metal work, mig or tig, and what am I looking for in a small unit? I do not need to weld anything heavy, just sheet metal and the ocassional piece of pipe for making brackets. What is the main differences between the two. Sorry to hijack your thread, but this seemed to be a good place to ask.

-harry

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahh i love working with mig myself.. its alot easier, i think mig would be best if your not doing heavy heavy metal.. but even mig can do some frame work.. id say mig, but let some other ppl tell u too.. thatnks for that site. ill look at when i have more time on my hands..