Gas Gauge Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rhamer88

Reaction score
Hey all, sorry for yet another post. So I've been looking around the forums, and it seems that the fuel gauges in these trucks are notorious for acting up. But from what I've read, most people are experiencing a "humming bird" like symptom, but that's not what mine is doing.

I've got a 1997 Tahoe LT, and what mine does is as I accelerate, the gauge jumps high, and when I brake, the gauge dips low. Although when cruising at a steady speed (like on the freeway) it seems to pretty much stay in place and give (what I expect is) an accurate read out.

So I guess it boils down to either:

A) bad sending unit
B) loose ground wire (and if so, WHERE is this wire located so I can investigate?)
C) bad cluster

Any opinions or insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :cool:

adam74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine is pegged with key on or off. checked the power (purple) wire with a test light to check for power and it moves to the full mark when grounded. not sure what that means either? pulled sending unit out and everything is hooked up and float in working condition.

IronMan4Real

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a formger GM employee. Natorious for clusters going bad. We sent 3-5 a week away for repair. There is a hideen warranty on them. Find a dealer willing to go the extra mile

adam74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a formger GM employee. Natorious for clusters going bad. We sent 3-5 a week away for repair. There is a hideen warranty on them. Find a dealer willing to go the extra mile

thanks for the info, anywya you could give a lil more info on it. tried researching it but cant find anything for a 95. thanks

IronMan4Real

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I no longer work there. IN fact I no longer work...there is typical GM warranty, then there is service bulletins and then there is secret warranty. Warranty GM dont advertise. I dont remember the correct years for the bulletin.
Locally there are companies who do the repair for $175

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what is involved in the repair? I used to do Television repair.

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ Iron Man.. so your the guy Ozzy was singing about... lol.. How you doing EY !! Yea that is what is called a special policy the IPCs were replaced on 03 thru 05 light and medium duty trucks/suv's up to the first 7yrs or 70k miles..@ Adam the circuit your poking with the test light is the actual ground circuit of the fuel gauge the test light is acting like the fuel level sensor thats why the gauge moves to the full position because the circuit is now grounded by the test light.. and in doing so thats telling you that.. that part of the circuit is good all the way up to the cluster.. the fault is going to be either the fuel level sensor or a bad ground... but your going to need to drop the tank to find out but at least once your there the repairs will be a snap with the tank already down.. disconnect the fuel pump connector.. get 2 paper clips open them up but just pull open 1 bar on each clil so its like a needle wit a big loope on it stick one of the clips in the purple wire terminal and the other on the orange/black wire terminal then clip the test light lead on the paper clip qith the o/b terminal and the other end of the test light to the other paper clip have someone turn on the key dont crank just key on and see if the gauge moves if it does you have a bad fuel level sensor if it doesnt you have a bad ground. . My money is on the sensor.. oh its either going to be a orange and black wire or just a black wire but if black theres going to be 2 and you want to test the smaller diameter of the 2

adam74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks rockenthebowtie for a good test method. Im lost when it comes to electrical stuff lol. had the tank pulled once already but dont remember right off hand what color the other wires were. will check it out soon, I left the skid plate off for this reason.

adam74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was the sending unit in the tank. new sending unit with pump installed and a working fuel gauge