Gas Smell - 2007 LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stricksr

Reaction score
My 2007 has a gas smell after it is shut off. It is not after fill up. It seems to be at any fuel level. After a couple of hours it seems to stop almost like once the fuel pressure decreases it stops. After sitting it takes several seconds to start indicating that it is starving for fuel. This started all of a sudden. Car runs fine and there are not leaks. No trouble light either.
Any suggestions as to what it could be.?

Gribmaster

Reaction score
I just had this problem with my '07. Turns out it was the fuel pump on top of the tank... The metal on the retainer rusts out, and holes open and lets the gas seep out...
I put a few coats of rattle can clear on the metal on the new pump. Should last longer that way.
I hope this helps.

Stricksr

Reaction score
Gas smell

Thanks for your reply.
Mine turned out to be a similiar problem but worse.
The fuel pump flange was rusted out and so was the top of the gas tank. My mechanic found a used tank for $375 and installed a new fuel pump. Cost around $1000. I don't quite understand how that kind of rust can occur in 10 years. The Tahoe only has 77K miles. Oh well it's a great vehicle. Should be good for another 10 years.