Gauge Cluster Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kandywhips504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok ive heard you can change out the bulbs behind the gauge cluster on the 00-02' style and that its just a peanut bulbs you can pull out and change, has anyone done this before?

Jesters.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done this before. It's a very easy installation.

Requirements.
- Flat Head Screw Driver.
- 7MM Socket.
- 6 Bulbs.
- 6 Light Bulb Housings.

What To Order.
- Order 6 WLED-x4 LED Bulbs.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...ct=CAR&keywords=&cart_id=8054561.29175&next=0
- Order 6 Light Bulb Housings.
http://bayareaamusements.com/Mercha...Code=LB-T3T&Category_Code=LB&Product_Count=23

1) Tilt your steering wheel all the way down.
2) Turn on your truck and put your gear all the way down to first gear. Then turn truck off.
3) Use your fingers and wedge out the dash trim, it should just come out.
4) Use a socket and remove all 4 bolts holding on the gauge cluster.
5) Unplug the wire attachment that you will see on the backside of the cluster.
6) Remove the black covering of the gauge cluster that's on the backside, use a flat head screw driver.
7) You will see 6 light bulb, remove them and replace them with the new ones.
8) Reinstall the whole cluster as you removed it, then your done!

Here are some pictures of mine after I installed blue LED's.
img1948ap1.jpg

img1949eq1.jpg

kandywhips504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok good deal, thanks, yea ive taken the dash off many times to paint and install electronics and all that its a breeze, just didnt want to get the wrong bulbs, but there is a bulb that changes that digital color at the bottom where it shows what gear your in??? also why would i need to buy housings, they dont just directly fit in where the other bulbs were or what?? and last question is have you tried doing this too your a/c controls?? i think the bulbs are too small in there and you would have to order aftermarket ones tho, im not sure its been a while since ive been back there

Jesters.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly have no idea. Mine looks blue in both of my pictures but it's actually still green. I'm going to open up my cluster tomorrow and check cause I would love to change it to blue as well.

I know I saw some smaller light bulbs but didn't bother to check.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok good deal, thanks, yea ive taken the dash off many times to paint and install electronics and all that its a breeze, just didnt want to get the wrong bulbs, but there is a bulb that changes that digital color at the bottom where it shows what gear your in??? also why would i need to buy housings, they dont just directly fit in where the other bulbs were or what?? and last question is have you tried doing this too your a/c controls?? i think the bulbs are too small in there and you would have to order aftermarket ones tho, im not sure its been a while since ive been back there

My understanding was the lights for the gear selector and odometer is and led not just a bulb, that's why when it goes out you have to replace the whole cluster. I would love for that to be wrong because mine seem to be going out.

Jesters.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you serious? That would be terrible since clusters cost an ass load.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you serious? That would be terrible since clusters cost an ass load.

Serious as a heart attack, that's why I wish I was wrong. Mine has been going out occasionally for the last year, I keep dreading the day it goes out and doesn't come back. I did post a thread asking if anyone thought it could be a short that could be fixed as opposed to replacing the whole cluster but really didn't get much feedback. I'm holdin' my breath. If anyone has any insight or additional info on this I'd love to hear it.

The blue guages do look sweet.

kandywhips504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i kinda hope mine goes out in a way so it would give me an excuse to by an escalade cluster lol

Jesters.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I have time I will check about the digital lights. I ****ed up my garage door closing it on my Tahoe. =[

kandywhips504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I have time I will check about the digital lights. I ****ed up my garage door closing it on my Tahoe. =[
well i dont know if i have any advice to help you with garage doors but that sucks lol did it do any damage to your tahoe?

Jesters.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, no damage to the Tahoe. It just closed down on the back of the roof rack, making the garage door jam up with all the cables and stuff going out of place. I got it all fixed up though.

If anyone has questions about the LED's, feel free to send me a private message. But all in all this should take 15 minutes to do, it's VERY easy!

Jesters.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The assembly part is the same but I believe the lights on the 03+ are soldered in. But it is possible to do it.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done this before. It's a very easy installation.

Requirements.
- Flat Head Screw Driver.
- 7MM Socket.
- 6 Bulbs.
- 6 Light Bulb Housings.

What To Order.
- Order 6 WLED-x4 LED Bulbs.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...ct=CAR&keywords=&cart_id=8054561.29175&next=0
- Order 6 Light Bulb Housings.
http://bayareaamusements.com/Mercha...Code=LB-T3T&Category_Code=LB&Product_Count=23

1) Tilt your steering wheel all the way down.
2) Turn on your truck and put your gear all the way down to first gear. Then turn truck off.
3) Use your fingers and wedge out the dash trim, it should just come out.
4) Use a socket and remove all 4 bolts holding on the gauge cluster.
5) Unplug the wire attachment that you will see on the backside of the cluster.
6) Remove the black covering of the gauge cluster that's on the backside, use a flat head screw driver.
7) You will see 6 light bulb, remove them and replace them with the new ones.
8) Reinstall the whole cluster as you removed it, then your done!

Here are some pictures of mine after I installed blue LED's.
img1948ap1.jpg

img1949eq1.jpg

Anybody done this with red or green? I wonder what the other colors would look like.

kandywhips504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did the install in my truck the other day, it looks tight, my friend wants to do green in his sierra, so i guess i will give it a try and post pics up when its done

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did the install in my truck the other day, it looks tight, my friend wants to do green in his sierra, so i guess i will give it a try and post pics up when its done

Cool, look forward to the pics. So does the green display for the odometer and gear indicator look out of placd against the blue? I'll be interested to see how it goes with the green. I think red would be sweet too.