get check engine light off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aleyesonme

Reaction score
Hey peeps.
My service light came on which indicated a bad o2 sensor, heated sensor and bank 1 sensor 1. so i changed the sensor right below the driver seat myself. i have a 03 z71, and it has four. ive drove it for more than 200 miles. i was told that it should go off once the computer sees it is fixed. so how do i get the check engine light to go off?. the dealership tryna charge me 80 bucks just to get it off. please help

erosa713

Reaction score
did you get the check engine light off ?? im having the same problem i changed all four of them , had the code cleared and it came back , with the same reading .. can anybody shed some light

wildblu

Reaction score
Did you get the diagnostic done. My is on and when I had the diag done it was a sensor in the transmission.

scorpio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If ur near an Autozone go there and they could clear for u, ofcourse the guy is gona say he is not allowed or the machine wont do it but they can, just give him a twenty

Ed07z71

Reaction score
I found this after trying everything that was close except for turning the key on three time's and turning the key on for one minute before I start it and it work's for me. Hope it will help someone else..

Instructions on How to Turn Off The Check Engine Light:
Step 1. If not using a scan tool, locate your vehicle's battery. Disconnect the 12v positive cable (red wire) from battery terminal (+). Leave it disconnect for 5 minutes. While the battery is disconnected, cycle the ignition switch to ON position 3 times. If using a scan tool to turn off the check engine light, follow manufacturers directions. You will need to find your vehicle's OBD II Data Link Connecter (DLC) and connect your scan tool to the DLC, then follow the steps indicated on your scan tool or scan tool manual.

Step 2. Insure ignition switch is OFF. Reconnect the battery 12v positive cable (red wire) to battery terminal (+).

Step 3. Cycle ignition switch to ON position and wait 1 minute, then start your vehicle. Check Engine Light or Service Engine Soon Light should be reset and turned OFF.

Step 4. Drive your vehicle for one week under normal driving conditions. During this period the emissions computer is gathering data and re-learning your vehicle's emissions components and systems. The emissions computer OBDII (on-board diagnostics) system must complete at least one drive cycle (in some cases two or three). A drive cycle is a sequence of internal tests which the emissions computer runs while your vehicle is being driven. This insures all emissions systems are functioning properly. Proper "readiness flags" are set as the computer completes it's cycles. Test cycles are unique to a vehicle. Certain cycles run under very strict parameters, and may require extended driving time to trigger on. Cycle data and readiness flag information is available through your dealership's service department. The data vary widely.

Casheis

Reaction score
Fantastic Explanation

Was gonna reply, but see post above.