GoRhino 3160 Step Guard Installation Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedAlrt1

Reaction score
I've had this GoRhino brush guard for a couple of weeks and I finally got a chance to assemble and install it this past weekend. Although the 90 lb. box was damaged in shipment, the contents were well packaged, in separate bags, in good condition with no scratches. There were two hardware bags.
One had all bolts, nuts, and washers, the other had the brackets for mounting the brush guard to the car and the upper stabilizing braces. All parts are powder coated black for corrosion resistance. The unit bolts to the truck where the recovery hooks are. They, and the bolts must be removed. Absolutely no drilling needed.

Assembling the side plates to the upper tube, step tube and center plate and was straight forward with common hand tools. You can run it either with or without the headlight guards. The directions were pretty clear but I suggest studying them closely before beginning assembly. I took my time by assembling the brush guard on Saturday and installing onto the truck on Sunday. I've seen reviews where people say they assembled and installed it in two hours. You can do it in two hours if you install them day in and day out, maybe.

It takes two people to mount the assembled brush guard to the installed mounting brackets. One to hold the brush guard in place while the other person inserts the four bolts, two flat washers and lock nuts into place. Once the brush guard is loosely in place, two upper stabilizing braces are installed to grille mounting screws, the other end of the braces attach to the upper part of the grill guard on the left and right side. Those two braces securely lock the unit upright into the proper position. The hood closes over the top of those braces. When time came to tighten all bolts, the air ratchet I had combined with a box end wrench sped things up considerably.

I settled on Go Rhino over the other brands because they are well made, have good reviews, look great on the truck and have a 5 year warranty. I saw one installed on a Tahoe next to the one I purchased at the lot in Chicago. I liked how it looked. The local Sheriff's Office runs them on their 2015 PPVs. I got a little wigged out once I got it on the truck because it really looks like a police vehicle now. That's not my intent. The PPVs look more aggressive than the standard Tahoe LS, LT, LTZ. This grill guard amps it up a little bit more. There is no noticeable effect of the extra weight on the front of the truck. Vehicle performs as if it wasn't even there and you can't see it from the driver's seat. So in summary, the product quality is top notch and shows it. Assembly is straightforward and compliments the look of the truck. I'm a satisfied customer and I recommend it.

Last edited:

RedAlrt1

Reaction score
Mods, I posted this in the wrong place and I can't delete it. Can you please move it to the general discussion forum for the 2009 models? Sorry about that.:(