GPS Antenna Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fdnyfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer has the part and is painting it. Scheduled for next wed to install. That would be 2 full weeks

NowakPE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, now we're very frustrated. Still no GPS antenna - still on backorder. Now the XM radio has crapped out. The GPS antenna is bundled into the same part as the XM antenna. Now two things won't work....

bladenbullet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these are the times i'm glad i dont manage service departments anymore....these delays make it impossible to help a customer the way you need to and its hard not to get involved emotionally in the situation....

good luck....

Fdnyfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my new antenna installed in 2 weeks. Everything works fine now

NowakPE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ours finally came in and was installed on Saturday. The wiring harness part had also come in, sot hey took care of that too. Everything is working again.

superpa12

Reaction score
Anyone else lose the Voice recognition function as well?

I have a 2015 Tahoe LTZ. I have the same GPS failure that has been discussed, however at the same time I lost the GPS, I also lost the ability to use the voice recognition for hands free calling. From what I can tell the system simply cannot hear my voice commands. It seems that the two problems are somehow related as I noticed them at the same time. Anyone else have a similar issue? Very frustrating considering I use the hands free phone feature frequently.

NowakPE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Tahoe LTZ. I have the same GPS failure that has been discussed, however at the same time I lost the GPS, I also lost the ability to use the voice recognition for hands free calling. From what I can tell the system simply cannot hear my voice commands. It seems that the two problems are somehow related as I noticed them at the same time. Anyone else have a similar issue? Very frustrating considering I use the hands free phone feature frequently.

In our case, the voice command feature continued working just fine. Have you tried re-pairing your phone to the system?

Heymatt

Reaction score
Superpa12 what was the resolution for your issues? Sounds like I'm having the same problem.

superpa12

Reaction score
Sorry not to reply sooner. My issue was completely resolved. I will do my best to explain all the details.

First I will list all the problems that occurred simultaneously:

GPS positioning failed (red x over GPS symbal on map)
On star system failed (no green flow bar below rear view mirror)
Voice recognition failed
The ability to use my hands free phone failed (system could not hear commands)

The dealership determined that the GPS antenna needed to be replaced. The new antenna arrived in about 3 days and was pre painted. After replacing it they told me that the old antenna when removed was filled with water. When they installed the new antenna the GPS failed message (red GPS xx out) went away, however all the other issues remained.

Apparently there is an internal computer called the Human Interface Module that controls the hands free functions as well as the On Star system. That unit needed to be completely reset. Once they did that all the other systems returned to normal. I think when the antenna failed it somehow tripped the HIM computer. I was told by the dealership that if the computer trips again they will repalce it. Apparently GM requires documentation of two resets before replacing the unit under warrenty. It has been two months since the repair and thus far all is normal. All was covered under warrenty (8000 miles on my LTZ)

I was told that the GPS antenna failure I encountered is not the first case.

I hope this helps.

Heymatt

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. We haven't noticed the issue with GPS. However all the other issues match. Onstar is telling me to have the dealer replace the module. The dealer is saying that it is a software issue.
At my insistance they will replace the module and confirm functionality with Onstar, before giving me the vehicle back.
Will update as we proceed.

Heymatt

Reaction score
After three days at the dealership, the electronic interface module was replaced. All problems are gone and everything works as it should!