Grind, Pop, Oh Crap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackdenalixl

Reaction score
That was he sequence of events lastnight. Brakes on my denali had been grinding about a week. Then lastnight on the way home POP, Saw smoke from front right wheel and pedal goes to the floor. Luckily I wasnt in Heavy Traffic. Emergency Brake has never really held truck does nothing now. Have brake fluid at correct level. Any ideas on the brake pedal going to the floor issue. HAve an appointment to have it looked over wed. but dont want to get taken. Thanks!

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
My guess would be the pad fell out of the caliper and now the caliper is grinding on the rotor.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brakes on my denali had been grinding about a week

AND you drove it like that?

I hope it costs you to the max! Cheaper than the lesson you would have learned if you had hurt or killed someone! Could have cost you jail time also.

blackdenalixl

Reaction score
Sepiroth thanks for the info. The other two guys.. well lets just say.. well I wont say anything..

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sepiroth thanks for the info. The other two guys.. well lets just say.. well I wont say anything..

Sorry but they're right. If i notice anything that even might be wrong with my truck, then I will do everything I can to not drive and notify a mechanic right away.

If you had brought the truck to a shop as soon as you noticed the problem, then maybe all you needed was something cheap like pads. Now you might have to do a rebuild or something costly.

And im my opinion, as far as safety goes, the brakes are the worst possible thing that can fail because that is a huge risk for the people around you. It's hard enough to stop these trucks with good brakes. Don't neglect them.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was he sequence of events lastnight. Brakes on my denali had been grinding about a week. Then lastnight on the way home POP, Saw smoke from front right wheel and pedal goes to the floor. Luckily I wasnt in Heavy Traffic. Emergency Brake has never really held truck does nothing now. Have brake fluid at correct level. Any ideas on the brake pedal going to the floor issue. HAve an appointment to have it looked over wed. but dont want to get taken. Thanks!

:eek:

Well, I'm sorry you neglected your breaks for even a day; let alone a week.

But whats done is done (hope you wont do it again)

My guess is, as noted above, that the pad was worn all the way down and the steel plate was riding on the rotor.. than the plate got to slim, slipped out and now your caliper is riding directly on the rotor. You are now going to have to replace to rotor, the caliper, and if your lucky that will be all.

Sounds like you are store for a long road ahead

Some real advice for you... next time your hear/feel/smell or think anything might be going wrong with your ride... try as hard as humably possible to sideline the vehicle, diagnose the problem, and fix it if needs be... as you are sure to find out, you will save more time, money and headache

Good luck man