Had to fix battery cable, now the key fob won't unlock the doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night, I left work. It was 29 degrees and snowing. As I walked to my Tahoe, I hit the remote start and the factory remote unlock. I got in and drove 30 minutes to the gun store.

I shopped for a while and when I went to leave, I hit the remote start. It started and then died. The remote door locks would not work, so I used my key to get into the Tahoe. When I tried to start it, all I heard was, “CLICK, CLICK.†Shoot! Did I leave the lights on?

I check the light… they were off.

I popped the hood, grabbed the positive wires on each battery (dual battery setup) and wiggled them. The light under the hood went out. I wiggled them again and the light came on. The truck started, but wouldn't stay started. I had to re-start the truck a couple times. Finally, I had to keep the gas pressed for about 30 seconds after it was started before it would stay running.

I got home forgot about it till this morning.

This morning, my son used the remote start to start the truck. It started. We got out to the Tahoe and it was dead. I couldn't unlock the truck. I unlocked the doors using the key, the power door locks worked. My son put my daughter and him in the Tahoe while I tightened the power cables to each battery.

After dropping off the kids, I came home and got ready for work. I changed out the battery in my factory key fob also. When I went to leave, the Tahoe's remote start worked fine. The factory remote door locks didn't work.

There are no other symptoms that I have noticed. Any idea where to start to look for this problem? Does it seem like I have more than one problem?

Hardwarz

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
naw. I think your loose cable was the problem. and replacing the keyfob battery maybe re-sets it somehow?

More importantly, did you buy anything at the gun store?

seriously though, if you have a loose cable,.. quick on and off-s with the battery power can make everything weirded out.

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
naw. I think your loose cable was the problem. and replacing the keyfob battery maybe re-sets it somehow?

More importantly, did you buy anything at the gun store?

seriously though, if you have a loose cable,.. quick on and off-s with the battery power can make everything weirded out.

OK, so I'll pull the power and let it sit for a few minutes and see if that fixes the door locks.

As for the gun store. I didn't buy anything for me. Check on ammo prices (Wolf .223 $159.99/500ct & $294.00/1000ct.) Bought FlakJak Tactical goggles & a 10/22 barrel heat shield for my son for Christmas. Also found a Bersa .380 for the wifie. I might put that on layaway for her.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha nice.. my brother just bought a 30ot6.. lol.. pretty crazy looking, oo sorry off topic.. hmm i have no idea. lol

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
better pick up that ammo before we get that bull**** tax on it :)

i had a loose cable got out to the lot to leave work, and nothing... no click, nothing, popped the hood, hand tightened it back up, drove it home, (it cut out a few times, radio kept resetting my damn XM presets...) pulled the amp cable off of it and tightened it all back up.... cranked but died cranked and died. left for the inspection on the new house, came back and its back to normal.

I'd pull the cable off, and then put it all back together. if that doesn't solve it you'll have to reset the fobs to the truck. (i take it you are using the factory fobs? if they are aftermarket you probably reset the fob when you replaced the battery)

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, left it alone, came back after work and everything was working fine. Go figure. Even the remote start works!

I'm picking up more ammo on Friday morning (5am sale)

Hardwarz