Hard to open driver's door from inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

songiuno

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has had and fixed this problem.

I have a 1999 2-door Tahoe. Over the years the driver's side door slowly started getting hard to open from the inside. It's to the point now where I usually have to throw my shoulder into the door to get it to open. I think the door is sagging just a little, but I believe the problem is the inside door handle doesn't release the door catch quite enough. I say this because, as I pull on the door handle, it has free travel almost the full travel length of the handle (pulling it out and back) before it starts to catch and release the door from the post. Opening the door from the outside is fine.

I'm thinking of removing the door panel to see how it all works inside. But... I've never known anything related to door release to be adjustable, or in need of it. Anyone have any ideas at all?

FTGF

Reaction score
I had this happen on a 4dr 99 Yuk. The first time the door hinge pins and bushings were worn and had to be replaced roughly $50 in parts.

The second time, three years later, I had to replace the inside and ouside door handles. I did the outside one first (because it was physically broken at the handle) but that didn't do it. The inside one was the real culprit. Make sure you get extra plastic clips that hold the door panel on, you will invariably snap some of them off when you remove the panel. The panel removal tools really help make this easier....

You will have to figure out if it's the hinge hardware or handle hardware. My understanding was your only supposed to adjust the door when bolt on replacement hinges are installed.
This is whats in the manual (at least for my model year) Obviously you assume all risk:

Need a TORX bit size T47-

Use TORX bit to remove the door striker bolt.

Loosen the door hinge to the body side pillar bolts.

Adjust the door at the door hinges in the following directions:
Upward or downward
Forward or rearward
Inward or outward

Adjust the gap between the rocker panel and the door to 4.0 - 8.0 mm

Adjust the gap between the door and the roof panel to 3.0 - 9.0mm

Adjust the gap between the rear of the door and the rear pillar to 3.0 - 5.0mm

Adjust the gap between the door and the fender to 4.0 - 6.0 mm

Adjust the door sufraces so that the door surfaces are flush with the other panels to 1.0mm

Tighten the hinge bolts to (26 lb ft)

Install the door striker bolt. Adjust the bolt in order to properly engage the door lock. Tighten the bolt to (46 lb ft)

At least with these gaps you can check to see if your sagging or not.

Good luck.

songiuno

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. That pretty much sounds like the problem. I'm not all that confident that I want to do it myself. I replaced a window regulator on a '90 Chevy Astro once and after taking the doorpanel off, I could never get it put back on quite the same. Is this something a typical garage can do or is this a bodyshop type job? How bad would labor charges be you think?

Anvilair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a cheap fix I was able to pull the door panel off and then with a set of channel locks put a slight bend in the rod that attaches to the door handle to take up the free play. I have had no issues with this fix but keep in mind my hinges and striker are in great shape it was just an issue with the door handle hardware that was causing my problem. I had no sagging issues.

95ThAHOE

Reaction score
if you have an hour or so and the patience of a monk than its worth it to do yourself, my handle has broken twice now and i replaced it myself both times. Only real problem i had was that alot of the clips to hold the door panel have broken, no big deal though.

jnicks01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my interior handle due to same reasons. It is a lot easier than it looks. I just needed a long screwdriver to pry with and few extra clips. Some major hardware stores sell them now too. I actually waited a whole year before taking an hour to do it because I thought it was too hard to do. I felt really stupid for waiting. You can do it!!!!

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I done both of my front door handles at the same time (they both had snapped off) my drivers side door handle had already been replaced, and was simply just bolted in the pass side handle a drill bit that fit right into the ribbit was needed, and drilled it right out.. - was a fairly easy job to do, and i'm glad i done it

songiuno

Reaction score
I'm going to give it a shot today. Thanks for all your inputs. I just hope I don't end up with broken clips.

songiuno

Reaction score
Thanks all for your inputs which assured me I could do it without ripping the door up too bad. Got the panel off and back on with no real problems, and only one broken pin.

As a cheap fix I was able to pull the door panel off and then with a set of channel locks put a slight bend in the rod that attaches to the door handle to take up the free play. I have had no issues with this fix but keep in mind my hinges and striker are in great shape it was just an issue with the door handle hardware that was causing my problem. I had no sagging issues.

Thanks for the tip on bending the door handle rod. That's exactly what the problems was (free play) and I did the same thing.

gator32

Reaction score
Does anyone have a diagram of the door locks? or how to remove/replace the clips? How many actual srews/bolts hold the door panel on?

Thanks,

GM4me

Reaction score
Awesome!! I started to fix the free-play issue... and now I have a broken inner handle. I love my GM cars, drive nothing else... but sometimes....