hardwire radar detector to rear view

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

azfitch

Reaction score
Im planning on hardwiring my radar detector to my powered rear view mirror. I have a 05 Tahoe LT. MY mirror has the onstar, airbag, temp, etc. on it. Does any one else have a 12 V switched accessory hooked up to their rear view? I was hoping to have some wires to check before i take the old volt meter to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!!

RonH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have an overhead console? It may be easier to find a wire inside that.

FergHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed a large drop in signal stregenth and range when my radar detector is at the top of the windshield. As far as i can guess SUV's and trucks are too high, with cars it may be okay. i have mine at the lower bottom of the window and it is hardwired around the botom and into the driver side fusebox (not visible)... see what works for you... thought i would let you know.

RonH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the difference in height in an SUV and a car would make a difference. I have mine at the top of the windshield of a Suburban, and the range is excellent. Maybe there's some coating on the top of your windshield that inhibits the radar beam?

azfitch

Reaction score
I've never really had a problem keeping it up so high. I also like the fact that its less visible up there so no1 is tempted to break into my hoe. Iv thought about tapping it into the console, I just dont want it on the same circuit as the A/C...........

Ive found a 12v switched wire( Orang and white) without problems, but Im having trouble finding a ground. I can "complete the circuit" by tapping into the 12V (orange and white) and then just picking other wires till I get 12V to read accross my voltmeter. But Im afraid that the ground wire Im using is a sensory wire or something. Whats the best way to find a ground wire?

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
...Ive found a 12v switched wire( Orang and white) without problems, but Im having trouble finding a ground. I can "complete the circuit" by tapping into the 12V (orange and white) and then just picking other wires till I get 12V to read accross my voltmeter. But Im afraid that the ground wire Im using is a sensory wire or something. Whats the best way to find a ground wire?

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!

You can put a ring terminal on the ground wire and either use an existing screw/bolt or use a 1/2" self tapping screw and screw into the body (pick a spot where you're not going to go through the other side, of course). The problem with using grounds from another circuit is sometimes you'll get electrical "noise", sometimes causing erratic operation.

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically, the strip of tint at the top of windshields is supposed to reduce the range of radar detectors. I have my V1 mounted high and above my rear view mirror with excellent range. I guess I could get even better range with it below the mirror, but it looks like such an easier and visible target for thieves.

I would guess that the type and quality of detector would be easily hindered by the improper mounting location.

krsmichael

Reaction score
Technically, the strip of tint at the top of windshields is supposed to reduce the range of radar detectors. I have my V1 mounted high and above my rear view mirror with excellent range. I guess I could get even better range with it below the mirror, but it looks like such an easier and visible target for thieves.

I would guess that the type and quality of detector would be easily hindered by the improper mounting location.

I am currently on a two week road trip. The V1 has been performing tremendously and with ample warning. Today in Sedona, it even saw around a corner, red rocks and buildings, to see one of Sedona's finest waiting to award performance certificates. So, I guess the point is, I'm not seeing a performance problems. One thing about getting it up high is that it's not sitting in direct sun light so it's not heating up.