Headlight selector switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texasguy

Reaction score
Arlington, TX (Home of the Tahoe factory)
Sometimes the automatic headlights in the Tahoe can be really annoying, like when I'm in downtown driving in the shade of the tall buildings or sometimes the angle of the sun causes the wiper blade to cast a shadow on the light sensor on the dash and my headlights come on. The headlights coming on is not the annoying part, what is really annoying is that the other interior dash lights dim when the headlights are on making the stereo and dash screens really hard to read. This happens a lot in the late afternoon from the wiper blade casting a shadow on the light sensor, but there is enough light out and glare to make reading the radio screen a pain.
So, I ask, how can I disable the auto function temporarily? I have tried rotating the light switch counter clockwise and have determined that does nothing. If you can't tell how to disable the auto function, could you at least inform me of what rotating the light switch left to the "circle" is even supposed to do?

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got it...just rotate the switch to the left and it will temporarily shut the lights off. Next time you start her up.....everything will be back to normal. And yes these trucks do have unusually sensitive light sensors in them.

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is the big round knob on the dash which controls the lights. The settings are as follows:

{momentary auto toggle}[auto][parking lights][head lights]

Most people keep it in the Auto position, which will use sensors to automatically turn the headlights on. If the lights come on while in Auto mode, you can override by rotating the knob counter clockwise. This will toggle the lights off if they were on. The knob returns back to the Auto position. If you toggle it again, the lights will come back on.

PaulC

Reaction score
Just remember that when you turn the light switch counterclockwise, you will also temporarily turn off the daytime running lights, so the front end of the vehicle will be completely unlit.

Rebound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to inform you, this won't help.

The interior lights will still go to "night" mode if the sensor thinks they should. All the switch does for you is turn off the exterior lights.

I have the same extact problem with my 'Hoe, and it drives me nuts. I couldn't tell you how many times I've been unable to see the radio/climate control because of it.

I took it to the dealer and asked them to reduce the sensitivity of the light sensor, and they looked at me like I had three heads. Needless to say, they didn't do anything for me.

GIXXER

Reaction score
Have you tried turning up the brightness of the backlighting via the dimmer switch?

Rebound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup.

It'll never be as bright as the "daytime" setting.

BTW - these are all things the dealer told me (which I'd already tried).

thetahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the garage filled with black vehicles :]
I don't know if this will work on the headlights as well, or even in your particular Hoe, but if you hold down the Voice/Mute button [on the right controls on the steering wheel, picture of a man's face] for 3 seconds, after the beep, say "Switch to Night [or Day] Mode" and it increases/decreases brightness in the radio control and dash. I'm not sure which 2007+ Tahoes can do this but my 2008 LT3 can. Just a suggestion.

Rebound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this will work on the headlights as well, or even in your particular Hoe, but if you hold down the Voice/Mute button [on the right controls on the steering wheel, picture of a man's face] for 3 seconds, after the beep, say "Switch to Night [or Day] Mode" and it increases/decreases brightness in the radio control and dash. I'm not sure which 2007+ Tahoes can do this but my 2008 LT3 can. Just a suggestion.

I'll give it a try when I head out this afternoon, and post results.

Mine's a 2007 LT3, so it may work.

Rebound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, holding down the mute button only activates the Onstar, which doesn't recognize the command.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought that sounded like an interesting idea, but if it only does Onstar then just how did you come up with that suggestion anyway?

Ed Blown Vert

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That doesn't work for me, but I did found out I can change channels, switch to XM or tracks on the CD using Voice Command.
Wonder what else I can do.

Ed Blown Vert

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Was playing with the voice commands. Found the command to change the brightness on the display.

"Display day (night) Mode"

But it didn't change the dash lights, only the display.