Help a Tahoe Forum newbie -

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

motomixr

Reaction score
Hello all-

Though new to the TahoeForum, good forums like this have saved me untold thousands with info and DIY repairs, and I've tried to pass on what I've learned, too. So, when the wife announced she wants a Tahoe, I started researching.

Biggest issue I've seen so far is the AFM/lifter problem. I've searched, and read until my eyes bled, but I'm still left with questions. Maybe this is a chance to gather some answers in one place. I ask understanding that those with issues are a small minority of the many Tahoes on the road, just looking to understand what I'm getting into!

- It appears that this was limited to the 5.3, VIN code J -correct?

- I've seen posts claiming the issue limited to 07-10 models. Do you think this is true, or have the '11-on models just not reached the fail point yet?

- I've never had a hybrid. Any common issues or maintenance rituals specific to the hybrid? Assuming the AFM problem was limited to the 5.3, the hybrid should have that worry....right?

Any other suggestions are welcome. I multiple questions in one thread can get messy, but since they are all related, let's give it a shot.

Thanks in advance -

Last edited: