Help!!!! Oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loganh512

Reaction score
My oil pressure is reading just over 40 and as i accelerate it rises to around 70, i have read other stuff saying its the engine oil pressure sending unit but they also said their pressure was pegged at 80 and mine is not doing that. any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Tex99Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, Logan, mine does this:
Cold - idle 40, cruise 50-60
Hot - idle 20, cruise 40

Changed over to Mobil one 15w-40

Hot - idle 35, cruise 45

Thought about changing sensor, but decided instead, I would at a later time, fit a mechanical guage (temporarily) to first see what it REALLY is...

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Logan what is your pressure reading when the vehicle is off is it dropping all the way to zero the clusters are also notorious for the gauges to stick and read inaccurate. . btw your right about the sending unit if it was that it would peg at 80

300KVIC

Reaction score
2007 Low oil level: at Idol

I'm having problems myself with oil pressure. Has a pressure of around 30 when Idol, If i Idol to long I will begin to hear lifters ticking. It will achieve 40+ only after the block heats up to temp. Been doing research on the oil pump, high pressure bypass valve which sounds like its sticking open for some reason. Did a flush to clean it out which improved overall pressure but still sticks every morning. looks like I'll have to pull the oil pump, which looks to SUCK!!!

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@300kvic.. couple of questions.. what was used for the flush and how was it performed.. also what type oil filter do you have in it.. most after market oil filters do not have the newly designed oil filters for newer gm vehicles that requier an intergrated chexk vavle to prevent bleed off. ?

300KVIC

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I used the flush made by GUNK in the grey bottle, from Autozone. , It seemed to help the over-all flow. But I still had problems maintaining pressure. I never heard about the check valve. I assume the crosscheck list at the store would list the correct filter.As far as Oil filter brand, I was using a Bosch until my last oil change then I went to the blue AC Delco, which didn't help. So are you saying the oil filter should come from the dealer only? I've been a little hesitant to take it to a dealer because, they want my credit card FIRST!

300KVIC

Reaction score
Another thing I left out of the original post ,is the fact that when the block gets to operating temp, its almost like someone flipping a switch and instantly I'm at 40psi for the rest of the day or until the block cools off again. Sound like some kind of valve (high pressure bypass sticking) opening to you?

Metaldrgn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My oil pressure is reading just over 40 and as i accelerate it rises to around 70, i have read other stuff saying its the engine oil pressure sending unit but they also said their pressure was pegged at 80 and mine is not doing that. any help or suggestions would be appreciated

I would say those pressures are fine. My Grand Cherokee does the same thing. Better to have more than not enough. If it doesn't go past 70PSI that's probably where your pressure regulator is limiting it to.

Metaldrgn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having problems myself with oil pressure. Has a pressure of around 30 when Idol, If i Idol to long I will begin to hear lifters ticking. It will achieve 40+ only after the block heats up to temp. Been doing research on the oil pump, high pressure bypass valve which sounds like its sticking open for some reason. Did a flush to clean it out which improved overall pressure but still sticks every morning. looks like I'll have to pull the oil pump, which looks to SUCK!!!

Flushing is a bad idea because if your lack of pressure was because your oil pickup tube was starting to get clogged, you could completely clog it and then it's time for a rebuild or new engine. Even if oil pressure if fine flushing is a bad idea unless you want to pull the pane after and clean/replace the pickup tube.

General rule of thumb is 10 PSI for every 1000 RPMs so the 40+ PSI should be fine unless you go over 4k RPMs. Again that is just a general number. Mine does the same thing. I notice a little pinging at higher RPMs but I don't know how many miles the engine has on it. The odometer reads almost 360k miles.

What ticking are you talking about at idle? Is it just on cold starts or after it heats up?

Metaldrgn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@300kvic.. couple of questions.. what was used for the flush and how was it performed.. also what type oil filter do you have in it.. most after market oil filters do not have the newly designed oil filters for newer gm vehicles that requier an intergrated chexk vavle to prevent bleed off. ?

Yes they do. Aftermarket parts like Fram had an antidrainback seal for a long time now.