Help with power door locks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wayne67vert

Reaction score
My '99 Limited 4 door key fob will unlock the drivers door but not any of the others.
Where do I start looking to repair this?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the door lock switch on the door unlock/lock all the doors?

Have you changed the battery in the remote?

Have you reset the RKE module (removed power and reapplied)?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remote Keyless Entry = RKE.

Remove power at the battery (disconnect + cable)

Since the power door locks work from the door, then the door lock motors are fine, just possibly the keyless module or the remote... Test the remote at the local auto parts see if the unlock button transmits repeatedly, if not try a new battery, if still NG on repeated transmits then amazon carries replacement remotes pretty cheap.

Synchronize the remote, stand near the 'hoe and hold lock and unlock for 5 seconds.

Wayne67vert

Reaction score
I finally had time to do all of this, no change.

My remotes will unlock only the drivers door.
The drivers door master switch will unlock and lock the other doors.

How do I test the RKE module, where is it?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the battery cable loose for 10 min or so, then hook it back up. When done try again, if still No Good, try holding LOCK and UNLOCK near the vehicle for 10 seconds.

Wayne67vert

Reaction score
Pull the battery cable loose for 10 min or so, then hook it back up. When done try again, if still No Good, try holding LOCK and UNLOCK near the vehicle for 10 seconds.

Did this..no difference. Key fob only unlocks the driver's door. The driver's door master lock switch works all doors.
The key fob unlock button, when pushed 2 times will relock the driver's door.

Where is the RKE module located?

How do I test it?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of the front and back of the remote?

Wayne67vert

Reaction score
It isn't a problem with the remotes. Both remotes were working until the fuse blew out. After changing the fuse I have this problem

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wonder what blew the fuse? Probably have a defective module, it "should" be up under the dash, as to specifically where I don't know... Might stick you head up under there and click your remote to see if you can hear it click.....

Wayne67vert

Reaction score
Here is an update on my door lock issue.
I replaced the door lock relay with no change in situation.
I finally found a number for the keyless entry module. The module was used only from 1998 to 2000 on full size trucks, Suburbans, Tahoe, Yukon and Escalade.

It is no longer being made by GM. GM has a replacement number listed. GM doesn't have any in inventory and no dealers have any inventory.

I found a used replacement at a local salvage yard. I replaced it with no change in situation. I may have found a defective part. No one knows how to test this module.

It seems like GM had an issue with this module and now that the newest vehicle is 16 years old they aren't interested in making parts for them.

So I am stuck with no way to fix my situation other than scouring salvage yards or buying used ones off Ebay.

I am going to sell my Tahoe!

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5446234740.html

Last edited:

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just take a module from an older vehicle and cut and paste? Even if the module is a different model, the wiring should be the same or very similar, and the programming needed for new keys is the same either way....

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Install an aftermarket remote start with keyless entry, then you got the start and the Module for the remote start usually wires into the door side lock/unlock switch....

Wayne67vert

Reaction score
I sold it yesterday, 5 hours after I listed it.

I just got tired of chasing electrical issues, Fuel gauge, temp gauge, door locks, daytime running lights, dash lights, etc.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer, well glad you did what you wanted....

30 Coupe

Reaction score
Power door Locks

Having the same problem as allot of people with my door locks.
Doors unlock and lock with the switches for a day maybe two then it blows the fuse but doors still lock and unlock with the key fob. When fuse blows the cigarette lighter doesn't work but the lumbar thing in the seats still works. Switches were looking bad (paint wore off) so I replaced them. Still the same thing. Where do I go from here?

Thanks for any info

30 Coupe

Reaction score
Turns out the lumbar support does not work when the fuse is blown. So my wife & I figure that the fuse does not blow until we move the passenger seat forward or have a passenger in the passenger side. Looked under the passenger seat and the power wire that runs the little compressor was rubbing on the lever that allows the seat to be adjusted backwards and forwards and rubbed a hole in the insulation around the wire. Orange wire. That lever is really sharp on the edges. Taped wire and put padding around the lever to protect the wires. It's fixxed!

Thanks

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was gonna mention the harness under the seat, I had that issue in my 95....