Hesitation during acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coconv

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Tahoe and I love the ride, handling and pretty much everything about the truck. However it occasionally loses power during acceleration. It starts fine but suddenly it feels like it loses power. If reminds me of the feeling from an old carbureted car that has a tendency to flood. Either that or one that is only running on 6 or 7 of its 8 cylinders. Even my passengers have commented "what is wrong with the car"? I have driven several other identically equipped 2016 Tahoes (with 4WD and the max trailer package and 3.42 ratio) and they are all much more responsive accelerating from most any speed. I have taken it in but it has does not create any error codes so they can diagnose it. I spoke to a 2016 GMC Sierra with similar issues.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

holsteinson

Reaction score
I have a 2015 LTZ Tahoe 4WD and it has the same hesitation when I am driving slow and press the gas pedal to overtake a car Have taken it to the Chevy dealer and connected the computer check and nothing shows. Gas is 93 octane premium and K&N air filter cleaned every 10,000KM. VERY WEIRD AND POTENTIALLY DANGER!!! HELP!! :confused:

3sons66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Tahoe and I love the ride, handling and pretty much everything about the truck. However it occasionally loses power during acceleration. It starts fine but suddenly it feels like it loses power. If reminds me of the feeling from an old carbureted car that has a tendency to flood. Either that or one that is only running on 6 or 7 of its 8 cylinders. Even my passengers have commented "what is wrong with the car"? I have driven several other identically equipped 2016 Tahoes (with 4WD and the max trailer package and 3.42 ratio) and they are all much more responsive accelerating from most any speed. I have taken it in but it has does not create any error codes so they can diagnose it. I spoke to a 2016 GMC Sierra with similar issues.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Yes, and I and others attribute this "lag" condition to the Active Fuel Management System which switches the vehicle from V8 to V4 and vise versa depending on conditions and engine load. This "loss" of power is the computer switching from V4 to V8 which they say is "seamless". Well, I can tell you from experience, it's not very seamless! Even my wife asked me "what is wrong with our new tahoe?". Ordered a Range Technologies AFM delete module that plugs into the OBDII port. Lots of positive feedback and get it tomorrow from Amazon. Will keep you posted.

Miami-Dade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2016 Hoe [as well as several other rental Hoes&Burbans I rented over the past 2 years] has the same issue..I can live with it..No vehicle is going to be perfect.

3sons66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2016 Hoe [as well as several other rental Hoes&Burbans I rented over the past 2 years] has the same issue..I can live with it..No vehicle is going to be perfect.

True, no vehicle is perfect, but I drive a 2007 Tahoe at work with the 5.3L and it accelerates and shifts flawlessly without making you question your safety upon trying to pass or needing acceleration. Especially for a vehicle that costs $64K...it should be damn close to perfect! GM AFM is a joke and according to people that have it disabled, actually INCREASE MPG along with eliminating oil splash and oil consumption in the 5.3LV8. I will definitely update after installing the Range Technology device.

Last edited:

3sons66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, received the Range Technology device today and plugged it in. Immediately I could feel that the lag/hesitation was vastly improved. I turned it to the V8-V4 screen on the center display and in fact it never switched to V4 mode. I'll keep updating as we continue to use it.

BlessedHellRide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Price of CAFE standards. I will tell you the 3.42 helps. I was purchasing a GMC Yukon with the standard rear end gear. I opted for the 3.42 and the hesitation was eased. Wasn't a big issue, it just felt I had to stab the accelerator to get it to be responsive at times.

3sons66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Price of CAFE standards. I will tell you the 3.42 helps. I was purchasing a GMC Yukon with the standard rear end gear. I opted for the 3.42 and the hesitation was eased. Wasn't a big issue, it just felt I had to stab the accelerator to get it to be responsive at times.

400 mile trip this weekend and I'll be honest....our experience is that it DOES appear to affect MPG's, averaged 19.6 vs. 23.4 on a recent trip to Indianapolis. Vehicle only has 2000-ish miles but definitely a difference. Just an FYI I will continue to monitor since I'm comparing a 400 mile trip to the Adirondacks vs. 1400 mile trip to somewhat flat Indianapolis.

tdriver113

Reaction score
The active fuel management is the culprit to an extent. I use the manual mode quite often an it seems to be less of an issue.

tdriver113

Reaction score
I use the M5 setting, which gives you the first 5 in the 6 speed transmission and cuts off V4 mode. Don't know about longevity but the throttle seems a bit more responsive. The trans seems to shift fine.

Miami-Dade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
400 mile trip this weekend and I'll be honest....our experience is that it DOES appear to affect MPG's, averaged 19.6 vs. 23.4 on a recent trip to Indianapolis. Vehicle only has 2000-ish miles but definitely a difference. Just an FYI I will continue to monitor since I'm comparing a 400 mile trip to the Adirondacks vs. 1400 mile trip to somewhat flat Indianapolis.

I am on a 1400 mile run right now from Miami-NYC..Also getting around 23.4 and sometimes 24..According to the info center it says I can get almost 500 miles on a tank of fuel..When I left the Tahoe only had 200 miles on it.

For once I have a vehicle that my back feels good after being in it all day.

3sons66

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Update: Removed the device and is now for sale. Just didn't see the huge advantage to keeping it in V8 mode all the time. Gas mileage fell approximately 2mpg on average. Definitely is a difference vs. not having it plugged in, but learning to live with it.

BigBlueLB756

Reaction score
I would be willing to bet that some of these problems are related to flexing of the firewall mount for the gas pedal. See if you can pull/push on the bottom of the mount itself. Any movement of the mount will affect how the throttle responds when you push the pedal as a fluxation/pulsation/lag feeling.

http://tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=536552

The simple fix/mod shown corrected my problem. And the price was right, too.