HID Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tgt624824

Reaction score
Here's the wire codes for the Mccolloch kit (wire harness) that I promised:

2007 GMC Yukon Harness --- Mcculloch Wire
Green/Black --- Brown
Black --- Blue
Brown/White --- White

-Travis

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mass buy opportunity for HIDs

Based on the discussion here and elsewhere on the forums, I'm ordering a Bi-Xenon kit from UltraBrightLights.com. If anyone is interested in joining in on a "mass-buy", see here.

dirkdiggler90504

Reaction score
2007 Tahoe HID's

i have a 2007 Tahoe. from what i getting out of this is if i want hi and low beam i would have to get 2 different kits

uvamack

Reaction score
DirkD,

You only need one kit. It will provide light for hi, low and DRL. The Yukon runs them all off of one bulb (H13) , and that will be the same with the kit.

uvamack

Reaction score
Oh, I thought you had a Yukon. What year is your Tahoe?

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but my Tahoe has a H11 for the low beam and a 9005 for the hi beam

Give 'em a call @ Ultra Bright Lights (1.800.970.HIDS) and check to see if they have a bi-xenon kit. They do supposedly offer H11 and 9005 bulbs... Might be worth a shot for yer Tahoe.

uvamack

Reaction score
Give 'em a call @ Ultra Bright Lights (1.800.970.HIDS) and check to see if they have a bi-xenon kit. They do supposedly offer H11 and 9005 bulbs... Might be worth a shot for yer Tahoe.

If you are looking for some HID's, I have a set that is 5 months old from my 2003 Tahoe. I just got an 07 Denali and I am looking to sell them. They retail for $535 with Silverstars. I will sell them for $325 if you are interested and they are in PERFECT condition.

http://www.xesighting.com/products.html

The Next Level of high performance
lighting for your GMT800 utilizes the same
Xenon HID technology as above, but
replaces the standard 9005 high beam bulb
with a Sylvania SilverStar® (as seen on TV)
to acheive a whiter, brighter appearance.

The kit includes 2 complete headlamp
assemblies that are "Plug and Play". The
XSIGHTING LIGHTING GMT800 HID
headlampsutilize existing wiring connections
and install quickly and easily.

Applications: 1999-2002 Silverado
2000-2006 Suburban
2000-2006 Tahoe

They have been sold!!!

Last edited:

dirkdiggler90504

Reaction score

i will give him a call and find out. thanks for the info

tgt624824

Reaction score
Agreed, for the Tahoe (that has separate hi's and lows) I 'believe' you would need two separate kits....

-Travis

ehaser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, Travis..
So, as far as installation..Is there any cutting or wire "tapping" involved?
I'm confused as to why you included the wiring diagram?

ChiTownTimmay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to drive an 05 Acura TL with the stock HID's and those things were beautiful. Does anyone know, by comparison, how an aftermarket HID bulb for the Yukon would compare to the true HID setup that would come on a vehicle like the TL, or BMW, Lexus etc.... I would really like to convert my headlamps in the Denali to HID's but I want that authentic look, not the "look at the HID bulbs I just bought from AutoZone" look, ya know. If you've driven a car with HID's in the past then you will definitely be able to tell the difference between the true HID and a replacement bulb that isn't quite up to par.

Thanks.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
McCulloch 5300K HID kit - I dig it!

I installed the McCulloch 5300K H13 kit last weekend. Like Travis said before, it uses the regular low beams for DRLs. (Not sure if I like that part too much, but I can change it later.) Low/Hi beams work just fine. The HID kit is nice, and it's impressively bright. There is definitely no "look what I got at AutoZone" factor here. I had never installed one before, but it's not too bad as long as you find a good ground on each side, or ground them together by extending one side as I wound up doing. I had never installed one of these kits before, and it took a bit of time and some planning to get it right. It did take two tries for me to get the grounding right - passenger side was flakey, so I extended it over to drivers side, and used the same cross-brace bolt (right behind the driver headlight assembly) on the front end. That was the ticket for me.

I don't think I'll ever go back to halogen lights; in fact, I'm thinking of doing HID's on my old '97 Dodge Grand Caravan as well. :D You just gotta keep them aimed properly, otherwise it's a real hazard to other drivers - saw a moron last night driving an old Nissan Sentra with what looked like a 8000K / 10000K kit with them aimed wrong, and it was blinding everyone in front of him. If you're careful, you shouldn't have to re-aim anything, but if you do, it's very simple on the Denali - you just need a #10 (I think) Torx bit, and pop the hood and go for it. Simple.

Last edited:

tgt624824

Reaction score
Hey, Travis..
So, as far as installation..Is there any cutting or wire "tapping" involved?
I'm confused as to why you included the wiring diagram?

ehaser - Sorry for the delay, missed this post in early August.

There is NO cutting or 'tapping' involved. The wiring diagram was layed out due to the Mcculloch harness (3 wires) and end plug (that plugs into the stock headlamp harness) coming seperately, so you need to know which wires slides into which slot (to match up to the stock wires). Once you have the wiring diagram I provided, it's really a no brainer.

Hope that helps,
Travis

tgt624824

Reaction score
I used to drive an 05 Acura TL with the stock HID's and those things were beautiful. Does anyone know, by comparison, how an aftermarket HID bulb for the Yukon would compare to the true HID setup that would come on a vehicle like the TL, or BMW, Lexus etc.... I would really like to convert my headlamps in the Denali to HID's but I want that authentic look, not the "look at the HID bulbs I just bought from AutoZone" look, ya know. If you've driven a car with HID's in the past then you will definitely be able to tell the difference between the true HID and a replacement bulb that isn't quite up to par.

Thanks.

The 'HID's I bought at Autozone' are NOT true HID kits (they're simply bulbs), sorry if you already knew that and I'm stating the obvious. :thumbsup:

I used to have a '04 TL as well (same car as the '05 you had), and I agree, the bi-xenon HID projector and system on the Acura is a great looking system. By comparison, the aftermarket Mcculloch kit on the Denali is the same brightness and same authentic look in color...HOWEVER, the difference is in the beam cutoff (the projector for the Acura), the Acura has an obvious sharper cutoff...however, again, the light output and authentic look is the same.

I currently have an '02 Audi A4 as well (my car, the denali is my wife's/family vehicle) and the Denai has the same color as the A4 as well, with the same exception as the A4 having a true projector headlamp casing, so it has a sharp cutoff.

Good Luck with your decision,
Travis

tgt624824

Reaction score
I don't think I'll ever go back to halogen lights; in fact, I'm thinking of doing HID's on my old '97 Dodge Grand Caravan as well. :D

EXACTLY my point to my wife after I've owned the 3 vehicles with OEM Factory Xenon HID lamps.....personally I won't have another 'daily driver' that doesn't have factory HID's or a kit installed. :thumbsup:

-Travis

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installation notes for McCulloch HID kit (Denali / H13)

Keep the mcCulloch instructions handy and refer to the as needed, but here's some info re: my installation that might help you out. Sorry for the "epic" post, but detailed info is usually the best.

1) DISCONNECT YOUR NEGATIVE BATTERY LEAD!

2) Remove the factory airbox.

3) You'll need a roll of 14 gauge stranded wire (black is good), some splice/butt crimps, and a crimper, and some electrical tape to keep things neat and tidy. The ground on each side is really two wires into one connector heat-shrinked together, so you'll need to cut like two 8' lengths of the wire to splice in.

4) It's going to be lots easier to do the extension splices on the passenger side before you put the ballasts / ignitors into the vehicle...

5) I ran the two wires (extension) and the harness wire for the drivers side underneath the back edge of the shroud that covers the frame, set back a bit from the top of the radiator. Again, the ground point I used is the front end of the upper cross-brace on the drivers side.

6) Recommend you also have some isopropyl rubbing alcohol, and some paper towels to prep the mounting locations for the ballasts. Cut the double-sided tape into smaller sections so you can easily mount the ignitors too.

7) There are these really annoying vinyl flaps that cover the backs of the headlight housings. I couldn't figure out how to remove the plastic locking pins without damaging them, so used my pocket knife to cut a short slit into the vinyl and make a little "button hole" so I could put it back together.

8) Getting the factory bulbs out is a bit of a challenge due to the awkward contortions you'll have to make to get enough leverage to turn the locking collar, especially on the drivers side as I recall. Be prepared to tear up your hands a bit.

9) Mounted the drivers ballast on the metal side-wall near the spare-battery location (don't block the battery location - what if you wanna put one in later?). Driver's side ignitor is double-stickied to a vertical frame section forward of the vinyl flap. Refer to #5 above for grounding location.

10) Tape off drivers side factory bulb harness; you won't need it any more.

11) Mounted the passenger ballast to metal side-wall under air-box bracket. Passenger side ignitor is double-stickied on vertical frame section forward of the vinyl flap (like the driver side). Again, refer to #5 above for grounding location.

12) Tap into factory bulb harness on passenger side, using the empty connector that McCulloch provides. Wires are:

Truck -------- Harness

Green/Black -- Brown
Black -------- Blue
Brown/White -- White

DON'T mess up this part - once the pins are in the connector, good luck getting them out.
(Thanks Travis for the pin-outs!)

13) Tie off / tape / tuck wires as necessary in front of vinyl flaps, to suit your personal "neatness" requirements.

14) Positive battery lead follows top of passenger fender well under coolant reservoir, and I connected mine to the tightener nut on the terminal connector. Just force the cover closed over the loom, it worked for me.

15) When you're reasonably sure you've got it right, reconnect the negative battery lead, and test things out with your truck's ignition in "accessory", without the engine running.

16) Put the airbox back in and make sure you haven't munged up any breather hoses / vacuum caps anywhere.

Other than a few minor complaints regarding where to put stuff and how to get my hand into the back of the headlight assembly, I really like the mod. The headlights are fantastic and were well worth the cost and effort. It took me about two hours for the install, but with the information above, you could probably do it in much less.

TIP: Don't start up or move your vehicle until after the airbox is on. You'll likely set a check engine code, which you can clear by disconnecting the negative battery lead for a few minutes (it's a hassle to do that over and over).

Last edited:

yukonpyro

Reaction score
Thanks a million GETWIRED for that very detailed description of the install. It should definitely come in handy for anyone attempting this on their own.

I took a leap last week and ordered a Bi-Xenon kit from a company called VVME in China. I have read all posts against Chinese kits, but I researched a ton of info on this company and it turns out they build a lot of the kits that get the "designed in Germany" tag as well as the "OEM Japan" label. The kits come with a 14 month warranty and get great reviews from the people that have installed them. The total price for an H13 Bi-Xenon kit with shipping was $160. For the benefit of the forum members, I guess we'll all find out what happens when you order a cheaper kit from China! I plan to install it this week and I'll keep you all posted. Please keep your fingers crossed!!!!:yesnod:

uvamack

Reaction score
Spoke to Danny @ Ultrabrightlights, he said the output for the DRL's is the same as it would be for low beam.