How Often Does Your Tahoe/Yukon Stay in V4 Mode?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BadPig

Reaction score
So with 1000 miles under "Roxy's" belt we took our Tahoe on a 400 mile round trip. While cruising on the highway, I notice that she stays mostly in V8 mode (watching the DIC), even while cruising on flat and straight stretches of highway (it is Florida after all). So I can't see where the DOD does much good as to squeezing out fuel efficiency (we have the standard 3.43 axle), and I can't imagine it switching to V4 mode in hillier locations at all.

What has been your experience?

AAHTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me it depends on a number of factors such as keeping my foot out of the gas tank; whether or not the A/C is on; tires and tire pressure; etc.; etc. and etc.. I have 24K on my 07 Tahoe and I notice the truck in V4 quite often whether driving city or highway. It may not last long (Seconds) but it does go there. I imagine it will vary for different trucks and drivers.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine stays in v8 mode when going up any incline whatsoever.
It goes in v4 mode only on declines.
I think the programming is bad, there is no reason a v4 couldn't keep this thing at a constant speed on flat land and small inclines.

p26963

Reaction score
Totally agree with you on that.

Mine stays in v8 mode when going up any incline whatsoever.
It goes in v4 mode only on declines.
I think the programming is bad, there is no reason a v4 couldn't keep this thing at a constant speed on flat land and small inclines.

1BadPig

Reaction score
I totally agree as well. When the truck is at the stop light why can't it idle in V4 mode? :confused2:

OStateFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me it depends on a number of factors such as keeping my foot out of the gas...

A big +1 to that one. I can vary the accelerator to hold it in V4 if I don't worry too much about my speed (too bad I worry about my speed). Inclines of any grade and it goes right back into V8 however.

KungFuJoe

Reaction score
I just got mine 3 days ago and all I can say is that it seems to go between V8 and V4 quite often. If I stay at a steady speed on a flat road on the freeway, it will stay in V4.

CobraKai

Reaction score
I've had my Tahoe about 3 weeks, and have about a 1000 miles on it so far. On the freeway, it will stay in V4 mode fairly well so long as the road is flat and the cruise control is on with the the RPMs less than 2000. On a short roadie that I took Friday (about 250 miles round trip) I was at 21 mpg due to the above factors.

I agree, though, that it could certainly stay in V4 mode longer once you're up to speed. There's no reason to engage 4 extra cylinders simply because of a slight incline.

One thing I'm experimenting with is engaging Tow/Haul mode while I'm cruising. I read somewhere that doing so might cause it to stay in V4 mode longer. I can't say that I've noticed any real difference with it so far.

Rumplemenz

Reaction score
concerns me a little to hear you say it rarely goes into v4 mode... whats rarely? mine switches from 4 to 8 often.. if you are on a flat road way and let off the gas it should automatically go into v4 mode.. try that

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
concerns me a little to hear you say it rarely goes into v4 mode... whats rarely? mine switches from 4 to 8 often.. if you are on a flat road way and let off the gas it should automatically go into v4 mode.. try that

True, but it will coast, you cannot maintain speed.

1BadPig

Reaction score
Does it stay in V4 mode while cruising at speed? It's not how frequently it goes to V4 mode but rather how long does it stay in V4 mode.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 4.10 gears and as long as the road is flat and I am at a steady crusing speed (~65 mph - too slow for me on the highway), it will stay in V4 mode. However, the slightest incline or increase in speed will kick it back to V8 mode.

lil tahoe

Reaction score
I just bought an 07 new a week ago (and I love it). Mine drops into 4 quite alot, I do mostly highway driving so Im getting around 18.9 mpg on it. I did notice that as long as you are flat or going downhill in cruise and the RPMs are under 2k it will stay in 4, Ive been trying to detect the change from 8 to 4 or vice versa but I cant. Anyone able to feel it change?

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive a lot of interstate miles going to and from work, and when I'm out of the hills here and onto the flats, it will stay in 4 for quite a while. As others have said though, it will jump back to 8 at the slighest grade. I can hear 4 cylinder operation because the engine and exhaust has a growl to it. Occasionally, I can also feel a little bump when it jumps to 8.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They should program it so when the engine is at idle it idles in 4 cylinder mode.

If you want to see why it doesn't idle in V4 mode, just go out and unhook four plug wires. :confused2:

Mine will stay in V4 @ 55 on level and even up slight incline. Faster than that and I rarely see V4 unless going downhill or coasting. I've got 3.73 and have heard on several forums that the 4.10 is better cuz puts engine in "sweet spot" at hwy speeds. Tow mode will help in town at 45 or below on slight inclines.

Personally I think the V4/V8 mode could be programmed a little more aggressively.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought an 07 new a week ago (and I love it). Mine drops into 4 quite alot, I do mostly highway driving so Im getting around 18.9 mpg on it. I did notice that as long as you are flat or going downhill in cruise and the RPMs are under 2k it will stay in 4, Ive been trying to detect the change from 8 to 4 or vice versa but I cant. Anyone able to feel it change?

I can't feel the change from V8 to V4; however, I can hear it since I do not have a stock exhaust.