how to replace rear output shaft seal (slip yoke seal) 4wd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled my rear driveshaft out and took it to have it balanced and new u joints put in last week. Now I'm leaking fluid out from where it plugs in to the transfer case.

I've never done one of these before and it's probably real simple and I'm over thinking it but alldata/service manual simply says "remove rear output shaft seal"
"install new rear output shaft seal with tool jxxxx"

How do I get the old one out? by hand? screwdriver? pliers?

And installing the new one someone has told me can be done by tapping it in with a hammer instead of the special J tool.

Any hints/advice?

Also, how important is making the alignment marks on the driveshaft like the manual says? I did it last week when I pulled it out, but when I put it in, I must've messed around for 20 minutes putting it in and pulling it out dozens of times (probably what ruined the seal) trying to get it right but I never did get it in the same position it was, probably only 2 or 3 teeth off though. I've only had stupid front wheel drive cars for a long time, but way back, when I had a firebird or an old malibu I don't remember ever messing with putting a DS in the same way I took it out.

Last edited:

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
In the past, i have been able to get away using a screwdriver to pry the old seal out.

I have also used a hammer to install the seals as well.