How-to-wire amp&subs with Bose system?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Godti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I have the Bose system, does that automatically mean I have teh 8" sub? Can you upgrade this sub to get a better sound? I dont want to put a sub box in the back. Can you also upgrade the amp? What are the rest of the speakers like?? Worth upgrading??

MikeCallery

Reaction score
It's great to see this as I really want to deactivate the sub-woofer up front and put one in the rear. What I'm curious about, and possibly someone can help is:

What exactly is a dual-voice coil subwoofer? Is it important in this application?

In the past, my after-market radios simply had a sub-out that went to an amp and thatfed the sub-woofer. In this case, we're going to drop to a pre-amp RCA converter so I need to either get an amp and sub or an amplified sub.

I just don't know how the dual-voice falls into this picture.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's great to see this as I really want to deactivate the sub-woofer up front and put one in the rear. What I'm curious about, and possibly someone can help is:

What exactly is a dual-voice coil subwoofer? Is it important in this application?

In the past, my after-market radios simply had a sub-out that went to an amp and thatfed the sub-woofer. In this case, we're going to drop to a pre-amp RCA converter so I need to either get an amp and sub or an amplified sub.

I just don't know how the dual-voice falls into this picture.

A dual voice coil subwoofer has 2 sets of POS and NEG terminals. It is more configurable in impedance. Like a dual 2 ohm can be wired to 1 ohm or 4 ohm.
Where a single 4 ohm is only 4 ohm. Dual voice coils make wiring multiple subs down to a certain load possible. Theres more though thats a briefing...lol

Most 2 channel amps bridge at a 4 ohm load. Some at 2 ohm. Mono amps are more toward the 1 ohm side of things. It depends on what sub and set up you will have.

c0sa_n0stra

Reaction score
i have a delphi navigation head unit where can i connect the remote wire from an aftermarket amp

SaltLife

Reaction score
I have an '03 Tahoe Z71 and joined the site mainly to read up on lift kits, but also want some more bump than what the Bose system provides - I listen to an array of music, from country to rock to R&B. Godti pretty much asked the question I was wanting an answer to. I'd like to expand on it by asking if I can just replace the existing sub with an aftermarket one - again, is the factory sub 8"? Does the aftermarket sub have to be the same size, or can I upgrade to a 10" (what I was wanting to put in anyways)? Will the 10" fit in the center console? Any help would be great. What you have already said is good, but it's way over my head.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the stock BOSE sub is rated for? I've got an old Fosgate Punch 150 I wanna throw in there... and don't want to put my Punch 10's in due to the wifey being against bass... LOL. I was going to put my 10's in my S10, but ended up putting a 12" ported box in there... maybe I'll just throw more power on the stock BOSE sub?

ryanh129

Reaction score
Where is a good place to splice in the remote wire if you don't have the dvd system? I've got a 05 yukon with Bose...

rob12jr

Reaction score
You know somthing...Im about to connect my amp and my sub...but i was wondering if i splice my amp wires will i have any problems with the anti theft system?...and how do you charge a capacitor?...