How-to-wire amp&subs with Bose system?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rwayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL wtf are ya'll talking about. 40hz,80hz?? haha sounds like you guys know your stuff.:thumbsup:

Hey I finally got around and hooked up my loc(no sub and amp yet).. took a few pictures to hopefully help out. It's nothing professional like JK' but it's worked for me in the past. I used an old LOC I had in the closet. The only thing is, my wires were kind of off to the side when I took out the cup holders and I couldn't see them. I took that harness and untaped everything but i couldn't find the wires. I ended up finding them on the passenger side behind the plastic you see, split-off higher up.Pretty sure these are the ones. I guess just correct me if i'm wrong but here's some pics (I think the extra stuff in the harness is my video system??)

PB281261.jpg

PB281259.jpg

PB281263.jpg

Hope this helps out

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i tried doing this type of install aswell my harness had too many wires and some werent even the colors that were listed but mine is an 03 denali i just looked in the center console found a ground wire is one of the visible wires and found a positive for a speaker it was one of the edge wires i think it was brown :tip dont use any of the orange wires they are + connection and always on and your remote you can get from the seat warmers in the back if you have them too

Last edited:

skistahoe

Reaction score
Guys... I just added this and I was wondering what system would you recommend to me if I want some thump! I was thinking about 2 12"s or 1 15" would that be to much?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Guys... I just added this and I was wondering what system would you recommend to me if I want some thump! I was thinking about 2 12"s or 1 15" would that be to much?

Depends on what exactly you are going for, type of music you listen to, amount of space you're willing to give up, and your budget. Music like hip-hop, rap, urban type stuff have a lot of low frequencies in the music, which is most of the time easier to reproduce with a ported or bandpass type of enclosure. But these boxes are bigger than sealed boxes, taking up more space. And since these enclosures are more or less tuned to certain frequencies, you have a fast roll-off from the tuned frequency, which isn't good for some other types of music. Most other types of music sound great with sealed enclosures because you get more of a flat response curve in the frequency range. Another advantage is that they are smaller than ported and bandpass enclosures.
As for sub sizes... smaller subs respond quicker, making the musical reproduction medium more accurate. Bigger subs aren't quite as accurate, but move more air, play louder, and reproduce lower frequencies than a smaller sub given the same parameters. The larger the surface area of sub(s), the more output that can be achieved. If everything was exactly the same (power, box type and volume, etc) aside from the subs, two 12's would be louder than one 15" because the surface area of the two 12's are more than that of one 15". But the 15" will usually be able to hit lower frequencies than the two 12" subs.
Honestly, your question is too vague. You asked for "thump". Both setups will bang good if it's properly set-up. Just depends on what kind of thump you are looking for.

skistahoe

Reaction score
Well I do listen to alot of rap but I also listen to rock. I do want my system to hit but I do want to lose sound quality. So do you think that one 15" and two 12" are to much if I am looking for a good sound with some bump? Would you recommend maybe just one twelve with a ported bow and high power amp?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Well I do listen to alot of rap but I also listen to rock. I do want my system to hit but I do want to lose sound quality. So do you think that one 15" and two 12" are to much if I am looking for a good sound with some bump? Would you recommend maybe just one twelve with a ported bow and high power amp?

Go with a 12" sub or two in a sealed box, 250-400wrms each with an amp that will push the same amount. That will probably give you the best results for what you're looking for.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since your more Rap oriented the right ported 15 will be pretty flexible. You get bump from rap and having the box tuned a little high will help make the change in tunes. What are your amp options as of now? We might be able to help you out from there.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
But a ported 15" is more sloppy in accurate reproduction than a sealed 12". For rap it would be good, but for a mix of rap and rock without loss of quality, the 12" in a sealed enclosure will be tighter, and still slam good with a lot of power. You can build the enclosure with a little more internal volume to help lower the frequency roll-off for the 12" for deeper bass when listening to hip-hop and rap. You'll be able to push more power to the sub(s) in a sealed enclosure than you would a ported one. The pressure (formed when the cone is in its rarefaction phase) and vacuum (when the cone is in excursion phase) created in a sealed box will help the cone stay linear and not lose control at high volumes. This is why the sealed enclosure a more accurate sounding box, and still able to produce high db levels.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My BTL 18 with 7 cubes and ported at 33hz went from DJ Billy E to Korn with a little boost on the 80hz and sounded surprisingly well. Not trying to start conflict but I myself like to have the boom but like the Metal too. I can go from obnoxiously loud bass to smooth kick drums from Pantera with little adjustments. I just listen to more boom more often so... It depends on how technical this guy is gonna get. So all props JKMoto I hear ya for sure I dont want you keyboard bashing me in the face...lol

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
My BTL 18 with 7 cubes and ported at 33hz went from DJ Billy E to Korn with a little boost on the 80hz and sounded surprisingly well. Not trying to start conflict but I myself like to have the boom but like the Metal too. I can go from obnoxiously loud bass to smooth kick drums from Pantera with little adjustments. I just listen to more boom more often so... It depends on how technical this guy is gonna get. So all props JKMoto I hear ya for sure I dont want you keyboard bashing me in the face...lol

No worries at all man. I didn't mean to sound defensive or rude if I did. Just posting opinions. Different people like different kinds of bass, and trying to get the setup just right takes in a lot factors. Obviously you're bias towards a ported box and I to a sealed, but it's only because we know what it is we're trying to achieve for ourselves. But you're right; if skistahoe listens to more rap than rock, I'd set him up ported also. I was just thinking more along the lines of all the advantages of a sealed, like less space and a flatter response curve for smoother response in a wider music genre spectrum. Either way, he'd be happy with a ported or sealed.
And speaking of keyboard bashing::lam: lol

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:lam: Exactly!..lol

We might just talk him out of stock now after all that work!

Rwayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys, where i plug my rca's into my LOC they are very finiky' on when the connection is right.. I have to pull out my cup holders to fix them everyonce in a while. It seems to only work with the rca's barely plugged in. you think it's rca's or the loc?? The loc is kind of old and the rca's are kicker, any opinions or tips?? thanks

Rwayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nevermind, it WaS the old LOC. I went to walmart for a new one hooked it up better this time by soldering and adjusting the gain so i could have my bass turned off with the stock control knob:thumbsup: I haven't soldered in a while, but i'm glad i did. After doing that the second time i don't think it's much easier than wiring something behind the dash though.

Hey I got a question. does anyone know if the reason my subs hit harder when they're closer to the rear door has anything to do with it being a ported box?? Because it sucks that they can't be up against the backs of the seats. would a enclosed one sound good in both positions???:confused2:

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The speakers will play certain notes louder when reflected off the tailgate depending on how you're stereo is tuned. I have had awesome luck with a slot port and speaker both in a downfiring configuration. Not only does the sound resonate better but it also aids in filtering the odd resonant frequencies that a ported box will sometimes create, also keeps my subwoofer safe from my 110lb king shepherd or anything else rolling around back there.

f16fxr4real

Reaction score
Rwayne....

I bet if you open your back door the good sound when sitting in the front seat will almost go away. When pointed to the rear you are extending the deep sound wave length by a couple feet. For some reason I remember lower sounding soundwaves to be 10-12 feet long. So when you bounce it off the rear door it sounds better by the time it gets to your ear.

Rwayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya your right!! i've actually tested it a couple times now and it makes a BIG difference when i have it closer to the door, it's weird.. my box seems a little small though. I like your idea with keeping the speakers protected by having them downfire boostaholic:thumbsup: My box is actually a slot port too so i could probably build a frame to make the box vertical and downfire, just don't wanna lose the bass I have now.:confused:

Weave

Reaction score
Ok I am a newbie at this site and have found it to be an incredible site!! VERY helpful!! I just recently purchased a 2003 Hoe Z71. I am interested in putting a sub system in mine however the post earlier stated that "For a line-out converter, you will need an LOCX convertor. I use a soundgate one. They go for $25. Here's the site and product:"

http://www.soundgate.com/index.php?r...&usereferrer=1

I have an Audiopipe Line output converter w/remote turn on. Do I also need to purchase the LOCX converter?
Also my line output converter has a blue wire on it that says it needs to be hooked up to 12VDC output. Could I hook my remote wire to my amp thru that? Thanks for the help and info!!! Weave

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I am a newbie at this site and have found it to be an incredible site!! VERY helpful!! I just recently purchased a 2003 Hoe Z71. I am interested in putting a sub system in mine however the post earlier stated that "For a line-out converter, you will need an LOCX convertor. I use a soundgate one. They go for $25. Here's the site and product:"

http://www.soundgate.com/index.php?r...&usereferrer=1

I have an Audiopipe Line output converter w/remote turn on. Do I also need to purchase the LOCX converter?
Also my line output converter has a blue wire on it that says it needs to be hooked up to 12VDC output. Could I hook my remote wire to my amp thru that? Thanks for the help and info!!! Weave

The "X" in LOCX is referring to it having the crossover in it. These are a little better for controlling the frequencies to the sub. Not necessary with a good amp with internal crossovers. Also not bad to stop the frequency before it gets to the amp either. Some LOC's just provide signal to the amp. The ones with crossovers make for better fine tuning of the application.

The remote wire. Just hook the remote wire to the amps remote terminal. Being you should have one remote wire ran to the amp already. If not you only need one remote turn on for this application. Run it to the amp terminal and then from there run one to the LOC.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nevermind, it WaS the old LOC. I went to walmart for a new one hooked it up better this time by soldering and adjusting the gain so i could have my bass turned off with the stock control knob:thumbsup: I haven't soldered in a while, but i'm glad i did. After doing that the second time i don't think it's much easier than wiring something behind the dash though.

Hey I got a question. does anyone know if the reason my subs hit harder when they're closer to the rear door has anything to do with it being a ported box?? Because it sucks that they can't be up against the backs of the seats. would a enclosed one sound good in both positions???:confused2:

Sub up port back is an ideal application for us.

Go to hexibase.com under "My Acoustics". Look in right column for "Enclosure Considerations 101".

Consider this

Subs ========
Port========= The rear door bounces this wavelength back to you.

Now,
!!
!!
!!
Subs
Port=========

You get the use of both front and rear waves and do not have to use deflection. I did my best....lol

Last edited:

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a loc on my denali this week along with a ported L7 12 and earthquake amp I had laying around. Hits hard as hell but you can tell the crossover is pretty high due to the 8" factory sub. I'm fairly impressed after some tuning, sounds way better than I thought it would but a real stereo will blow this one out of the water. BTW on the pre-03 trucks with the factory sub in the driver's cargo you need to tap the green/blue wire going into the enclosure for a good signal to the loc.