How would you jump start a hybrid? Curious...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gruson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's say I need to give someone a jump start with my hybrid...would it work the same way with traditional jumper cables?

What if I needed one?

I never really thought about this until now....

Thanks.

T-pole

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing just like normal. It does have a standard 12v battery in the engine bay.

T-pole

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But, I don't think it would work jump start a hybrid, since it doesn't start from the 12v, I believe it starts from the 300v batteries. But, for jumping someone else, I think it's all the same.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it has (it should) a 12v battery for the gas motor's primary ignition system, then I would think that you could jump in or out both the same as normal. Just don't mess with the big batteries.

T-pole

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does have a 12v battery, but not a standard starter, and it does not start from the 12v battery. It starts off of the battery bank under the mid seats.

I think the 12v battery is just to run the 12v electronics inside the car.

So yeah, how would you jump the 300 volt battery? Hook up 25 cars to jump it? LOL kidding....

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow! sounds like a "why did the chicken cross the road" joke.

I'm all ears guys. let the learning began.:cool2:

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright I got this, connect your jumper cables to the exhaust pipe and floor the accelerator, and try starting again. JK, as long as you have a 12V battery with an alternator that charges it, you can jump another car with your Hybrid like you would if you had any other vehicle!

41racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's an easy question. Don't do it. I don't think it's worth the risk. Let them borrow your cell phone and call someone else.

Ed Blown Vert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I did find out that if the 12v battery is dead. The truck won't start.

I killed it playing music. So I thought it would still start with the 300v batteries. Nope. I had to jump the 12v battery, then it would start.

T-pole

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats interesting. I'd like to know more about which batteries power what. I'm pretty sure that theres no alternator, so I thought the 12v gets it's power from the 300v battery bank.

I did read that if you're going to be running accessories while parked, to leave the truck running. That way it'll only start the engine when it needs to recharge the battery. I guess that this is why!

Thanks for the heads up on it too!

Ed Blown Vert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did read that if you're going to be running accessories while parked, to leave the truck running. That way it'll only start the engine when it needs to recharge the battery. I guess that this is why!

Thanks for the heads up on it too!

That makes sense. I won't be using any fuel unless I need to.