I got codes!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randi

Reaction score
So, I stopped by autozone and had them pull the codes for my Tahoe. He said that I have 3 oxygen sensors that need to be replaced. Something about a malfunction in the heater circuit?? There were 5 codes total, 3 for sensors and 2 for fuel system too lean. How hard is replacing the oxygen sensors? My husband is pretty good with cars, so I'm sure he could do it. We just need to get a book. Could the new exhaust have caused this? I only wonder because the engine light came on right after the exhaust was installed.

jrneyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No ones replying-so ill take a shot--
i havent replace the O2 sensors on mine, nor have i had any codes--
i think the sensors are just threaded in--
it could just be that the sensors were starting to get worn out, or maybe just a coincidence?? dunno--
but a repair book, like a haynes manual i would recommend--i dont even know where they are located; i have seen some located near the header of the exhaust system-----
anyone else want to chime in on this one????

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently replaced my O2 sensors and although the were a b***h to get off due to them being seized onto the exhaust, it wasn't that bad. Basically they are threaded into the exhaust so they are removed the same way one would remove a bolt...that being said you have to disconnect the wire harnesses prior to taking them out.

Here is a link to my posting regarding O2 sensors:

http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=4924&highlight=o2+sensor

Paul

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new exhaust system shouldnt have anything to do with the o2 sensors failing if that was the case we all would have had that issue with the new systems. thdrill has a really good posting on how to replace them and also there is a diagram thats there showing all the locations of the o2 sensors.

chime back if you run into any issues trying to get them removed and stuff there are alot of good people here that can offer great advise :)

Randi

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! That post was perfect. I did a search trying to find something like that but it didn't come up. It looks easy enough. You guys are great!

nephite1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you get the O2 sensor code, does it tell you which one is bad, or do you replace them all at the same time?

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it would tell yah bank one sensor one bank one sensor two and and bank 2 sensor one and bank 2 sensor two ..a code number that references each bank would pop up to let yah know what sensor to change....IMO if i had the cash since these little buggers are not cheap i would swap all them out at the same time since if one fails doesn't mean that the other are suit to follow. they been in the same amount of time and all will fail eventually ..hopefully not all at the same time :) BUT I have seen o2's last more than 180k so it's a shot in the dark ...i'm sure others will chime in also :)

Randi

Reaction score
For mine there was a seperate code for each sensor. Sensor 1 bank 1, sensor 2 bank 1, and sensor 2 bank 2. How many total are there? Maybe I should replace the rest too.