Installing Chrome Tow Hooks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sarahw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '08 LTZ and would like to install the tow hooks on the front. Are they a DIY install or would the dealer have to put them on? I guess I need to go out to the garage and see what's behind those holes in the bumper. :D

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't looked closely but I would imagine one could DIY, either a big bolt that threads into the frame or the same big bolt with a nut on the back. I'd say one would be limited only by not having big enough tools or enough strength to torque it right. Just a guess though.

chadwick02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at those, but my service manager said they were more for appearance, and less for function on the new vehicles. We've got recovery hooks on our '03 and I have used them numerous times to pull the truck out of a muddy hole or snow ditch, and I've used them to pull other people out of areas from the front too. Anyone know how strong they are on the new vehicles? I think it is the mounting point that is in question here, not just the chrome hook.

- Chad

sarahw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine that they would manufacture "tow hooks" that are not substantial enough to be used for recovery. :D

sarahw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TXST8tj, the hooks are available from your dealer's parts department in either black or chrome. (Chrome GM PART # 19158571)

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chrome plating does weaken metal a little bit, but when it's that thick I would imagine it's still strong enough. When he said it was for appearance he probably just meant that you don't want to nick the shiny pretty chrome. The other ones you can just touch up with a rattle can.

chadwick02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chrome plating does weaken metal a little bit, but when it's that thick I would imagine it's still strong enough. When he said it was for appearance he probably just meant that you don't want to nick the shiny pretty chrome. The other ones you can just touch up with a rattle can.

Maybe that's true, although I think he was talking about the structural integraty of the hook, more specifically what the hook bolts to. For thoes who dont have hooks installed, go take a look in the front of the bumper where they would bolt. Its only an 1/8" thick or so, maybe a little more. Tell me what you think?

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did see a picture of the hooks last night, sorry no link but it just looks like one long bolt going through it side to side, and then a shorter bolt on one side of it, farther back, which would be to hold it in place and not pivot on the first bolt. The head looked like maybe a 14 or 15 mm, or around a 5/8" SAE.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe that's true, although I think he was talking about the structural integraty of the hook, more specifically what the hook bolts to. For thoes who dont have hooks installed, go take a look in the front of the bumper where they would bolt. Its only an 1/8" thick or so, maybe a little more. Tell me what you think?

So you think he was talking about the hook in general, not just the chrome one? Hmm, I kind of think it is functional and can hold the weight of the truck being pulled from it even at probably a 30 to 40 degree uphill angle. Ideally one would use both but I think it would hold pulling on a flat surface using even just one. As for the bolt diameter, it looked like the width of the shank was more like 3/8 - 1/2", 1/8" doesn't sound right and would be way too small relative to the size of the hook. Not sure though because I still haven't seen it. But I do believe that it's meant to be used though.

chadwick02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gotcha. That's what I would have thought too. I've used the regular black tow hooks on our '03 tahoe numerous times with out a problem. Infact, I've used just one to get the hoe up a slick 30 degree incline, which im sure is less than ideal as you mentioned. It just looks like the hooks on the new tahoes are mounted a lot less ruggedly (if thats a word?), almost like they are more for looks on the new body style. I sure hope you are correct tho, tow hooks for looks on a truck just doesn't seem right. I'll look at them a little closer before I actually order the hooks. I just want to make sure I dont rip off my front bumper someday when I actually go to use them!

P1010110.JPG

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good example right there, you could be right about earlier years being stronger, I don't know. But I certainly do hope it is built to take the use. Gonna be really pissed too if it rips the front end apart!

Mad Dawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '08 LTZ and would like to install the tow hooks on the front. Are they a DIY install or would the dealer have to put them on? I guess I need to go out to the garage and see what's behind those holes in the bumper. :D

Definitely a DIY. Took me about 20 minutes to install both. Found mine on ebay for $10.

Chris2019LT

Reaction score
I'm looking to add tow (recovery) hooks to the front of my new '19 LT. We bought the luxury and sun (nav) upgrades but tow hooks didn't come with the truck. My '95 and '08 Tahoes did. Anyway, the gmpartsdirect link above does not cover '19s. I found these on ebay but no idea if they really fit a '19 LT or not.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tow-Hooks-...=item2f28463036:g:F5wAAOSwYL9Z2YRu:rk:12:pf:0

Any help, please?