Intake+Throttle Body spacer Improve MPG?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SS5800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already have the Throttle body spacer, which i hear was pointless for a 96 anyways but. Will an intake improve or make worse my gas mileage?

79powerwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's your money, do as you like! Remember, air going in has to become air going out. Do you have a good exhaust too?

For a variety of reasons, I am a fan of the K&N style set-ups, but I never count on them to add power or performance. That only comes from a sound, thought out build and properly matched components.

SS5800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the stock exhaust on my truck, I dont mind spending that thirty bucks on that intake, I just dont want to decrease my gas mileage is all you know what i mean? Washing dishes making $250 a week barely gets me by on insurance and gas lol. I just want something worth my while.

Last edited:

79powerwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, if I were you, I'd keep the $30.00. The open air cleaner will give your truck a cooler sound, which means you'll be in on the go-fast pedal more than right now, and you'll use more gas.

When you have the bucks saved for a cat-back, THEN get the intake too.

Just an idea! :)

SS5800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, if I were you, I'd keep the $30.00. The open air cleaner will give your truck a cooler sound, which means you'll be in on the go-fast pedal more than right now, and you'll use more gas.

When you have the bucks saved for a cat-back, THEN get the intake too.

Just an idea! :)

The open air cleaner? Im not sure what that means :eek:

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That air intake you have linked on ebay, that is an open cold air intake, or open air element. It is called "open" because stock intakes are "closed" as in, the air filter is in a closed case and gets air from a small hole somewhere in the body around the engine bay. I imagine this is probably for noise control reasons, so it is a quieter ride.

Open air intakes allow you to get more air volume into your engine because they are more exposed to free flowing cool air than the stock intake is.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummmm...

Intake will help your MPG and hurt your MPG. It all depends on your driving style. If your easy on the pedal and cruise at 55mph you will see some better MPG but recognize no performance. You gas it...your gonna hear and feel it...see your needle move.

BUT that is crappy intake. I understand where your coming from. I'm having trouble myself spending $300 for an intake. But that is no b.c your just sucking in MORE HOT AIR within the engine bay.

YOUR OEM is bettter then that. If anything just swap out the filter and call it a day.

P.S. If your selling your used or never installed intake PM me I'll buy it :)

bangin caddy

Reaction score
What will a filter change do?

Changing your old dirty air filter to a new air filter will allow more airflow. The dirty air filter is restricted by debry that was sucked into it.

The filter kit you looked at for $12.00 is pretty much junk. It will work as well as one of those fuel saver magnet things you buy from ebay for $20. All a scam for suckers.

As someone else said. K&N intake would be the way to go, but its gonna cost money for that! a couple hundred about. Real performance upgrades cost money.

Even a K&N filter in the stock air intake assembly will work better then that el-cheapo on ebay.. Wait lets rephrase that a dirty K&N filter would outperform the ebay one.

Ill give you an explanation on why that $12.00 filter on ebay is junk too, and why its worse then factory.
1) the factory air filter sucks air in from a vent that is in the front of the vehicle, this is where your going to get the freshest coolest air.

2) Your ebay special cone filter bypasses the factory air induction setup, meaning that this after market filter is sucking up air from your engine compartment. Why is this bad? because you engine gets hot, and runs around 200 degrees, so under your closed hood is going to be ruffly 150degrees, this air filter is going to suck up that hot air. The colder your engine and engine compartment is, the better your truck is gonna run and have a slight notice in performance when its cold vs being hot.

3) The K&N filter kit is simular to the cone setup, but it seperates the engine compartment from the air intake allowing for the cooler air from outside the vehicle to be used.

Here is the K&N filter setup.
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...-63-3058&N=700+400171+318169+115&autoview=sku
knn-63-3058_w.jpg

mrbigles

Reaction score
A good test to see the difference is to make sure your filter is attached tightly to the intake tube/hose that goes to the engine. Then, remove the top half of your filter case.

You should hear a distinct difference in sound and there should be a bit of a difference in driving.. IE.. stepping on the gas. Now, with a better filter, both will change... for the better or worse depending on your tastes.

inthechateau

Reaction score
I got power, and economy with cold air intake and cat bak flowmaster exhaust. The engine can't suck in if it can't blow out too. Increased airflow requires increaded exhaust handeling capacity.

corvhoe7795

Reaction score
A good free breathing air filter is a Kool Blue. Way less restrictive than a paper filter. They're 20 bucks + reasonable shipping on ebay. We have these Kool Blue filters in all our cars. And you can clean and reuse them too. A lot less than a K&N or down to a $60 Fram Air hog filter.