intermittent shudder during right turns?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heftylefty58

Reaction score
Greetings, and Happy Holidays all. I could have sworn that I read another posting about a problem similar to mine, but I couldn't find it tonight. So I'll just do my best to describe it in my own posting:

I'm experiencing an EXTREMELY intermittent shudder that seems to only occur while I'm either braking or coasting during a right turn. (I've never noticed the shudder while making a left turn.)

It almost seems as if the anti-lock brakes needlessly kick in on one or 2 wheels, but it's really hard to tell since it's over within a fraction of a second. I take my right turns very slowly, so it seems odd that the anti-lock brakes would activate at all. (FYI, all of these "shudder" instances occurred when the weather was dry: no rain, no snow, nothing....)

Just so you know, I also experience a very subtle clunk under my dash every now and then, but I'm 99.999% sure this is because my intermediate steering shaft needs to be lubed. Also, this clunk is a gazillion-fold more subtle than the my so-called "right-turn-shudder." So, I'd be very surprised if they're actually related.

But then again, I'm just a noob, so what do I know. That's why I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts regarding what could explain my right-turn-issue, and how I can further troubleshoot my problem.

Thanks in advance.

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shudder problem

I had similar symptoms with my old 94 Chevy, and it turned out to be totally ruined wheel bearings. The mechanic I took it to said "that wheel was about to fall the f%@k off". Those were his words, exactly.

I hope yours is not the bearings. I do remember it being a weird thunk, thunk when I would turn hard to the right; and it was more noticeable at slow speeds.

I say again, I hope it's a squirrel and not the bearings.:thumbsup:

Later

BH

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't answer your wheel shudder, but the clunk under the hood from the intermediate steering shaft is part of a recall - my '02 was repaired free of charge back in August by the local GM dealer. They replaced the shaft and it is as good as new.

speedr1023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have brought my 06 z71 in for the same and they greased the shaft and said it was okay. I also notice something of a clunk though especially when it is wet out. It sounds like it comes from the driver front wheel area but I can't be too sure. I asked about that, but the dealer said everything looks fine. I never saw a recall about putting in a completely new shaft though, is that only on the older models?

heftylefty58

Reaction score