Is my logic wrong?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prior to my 02 Tahoe I had a 2004 silverado extended cab that got 17 mpg. I bought the Tahoe thinking they have the same motor and tranny. They're close to the same weight therefore close on mpg. Well ok the 'hoe is 4x4 that should rob maybe 1 mpg. I get 12.5 mpg with the same kind of driving!

Why??????

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well an extended cab with a long bet weighs in at 48XX and a tahoe weighs in at 5,050. My guess is your tahoe has 3.73 and your silverado has 3.42 or even 3.23.

But is your milage the same always, when ever you drive the tahoe, is it loaded with your 4 kids? Or just you. Any difference when its just you or you and your four kids?

my guess is just difference in vehicles shape and weight management.

Last edited:

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah all those things he said, a little weight can make a substantial difference, gears definitely, drag differences in the shape. Then again 4.5 mpg sounds high, you should make sure it's tuned properly and parts are good.

Chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck had 3:73's Tahoe has 4:10's. The Tahoe has a little bit taller tires on it so it should bring the ratio's a bit closer.

Any one out there with a lead foot, about 50/50 city/highway, and a 2x4 5.3 Tahoe 3:73's getting close to 17 mpg?

Jerome A Franks

Reaction score
Truck had 3:73's Tahoe has 4:10's. The Tahoe has a little bit taller tires on it so it should bring the ratio's a bit closer.

Any one out there with a lead foot, about 50/50 city/highway, and a 2x4 5.3 Tahoe 3:73's getting close to 17 mpg?

I dont have a lead foot but I travel about 50/50.. I wish I could see 17.mpg.. Im getting about 15 or so. But in one of my previous post I stated that I cheated a little bit on my tires by over inflating them. But Ive stop thus far.

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No way. We hit only 17 under ideal situations: 100% highway, cruising at 65 mph, relatively flat land, A/C off.

I've seen close to 16 with a 50/50 city/highway mix when making a conscious effort to hyper-mile.

bunkleman21

Reaction score
Prior to my 02 Tahoe I had a 2004 silverado extended cab that got 17 mpg. I bought the Tahoe thinking they have the same motor and tranny. They're close to the same weight therefore close on mpg. Well ok the 'hoe is 4x4 that should rob maybe 1 mpg. I get 12.5 mpg with the same kind of driving!

Why??????

No way. We hit only 17 under ideal situations: 100% highway, cruising at 65 mph, relatively flat land, A/C off.

I've seen close to 16 with a 50/50 city/highway mix when making a conscious effort to hyper-mile.

I do about 50/50 city/highway maybe 40/60 and consistently get 345-350 miles per tank (17.25-17.5), and I have a somewhat heavy foot and blast the A/C or have the windows down and its a 4x4. If I hypermile and do mostly highway (A/C still on:)) I can get close to 20. That is a 2000 Tahoe 5.3 3.73 gears. I do have a k&n intake and flowmaster exhaust. When I get rambunctious I'll lose about a mile per gallon, sometimes 2 :D.

Last edited:

oomindwarpoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure your tires are at the right inflation, i just checked mine the other day and they were all 4-5lbs under inflated!!! I aired them up and what a difference in handling/mileage back to what it should be. I avg 20.2 on the hwy. I also noticed that if I cruise at 65-70 instead of 60 I get 1-2 mpg less. Guessing optimal speed is right around 60mph.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do about 50/50 city/highway maybe 40/60 and consistently get 345-350 miles per tank (17.25-17.5), and I have a somewhat heavy foot and blast the A/C or have the windows down and its a 4x4. If I hypermile and do mostly highway (A/C still on:)) I can get close to 20. That is a 2000 Tahoe 5.3 3.73 gears. I do have a k&n intake and flowmaster exhaust. When I get rambunctious I'll lose about a mile per gallon, sometimes 2 :D.

I dont know what size tank you have (i might be wrong here) but if you are rocking the standard 26 gallon fuel tank and you are getting 350 miles to a tank than you arent doing better than 14 MPG. (13.5MPG actually)

I have the Z71 and drive about 50/50... maybe even less highway. I dont hyper mile but I also dont race around and jump off the line in a mad dash. All i have is a K&N replacment filter and I am steady at 15.5MPG.

I have the standard 26 gallon tank and get a bit better than 400 miles per tank.

I am still looking for ways to get her up around 17MPG... if i get get her to 17 than I am happy

bunkleman21

Reaction score
I dont know what size tank you have (i might be wrong here) but if you are rocking the standard 26 gallon fuel tank and you are getting 350 miles to a tank than you arent doing better than 14 MPG. (13.5MPG actually)

I have the Z71 and drive about 50/50... maybe even less highway. I dont hyper mile but I also dont race around and jump off the line in a mad dash. All i have is a K&N replacment filter and I am steady at 15.5MPG.

I have the standard 26 gallon tank and get a bit better than 400 miles per tank.

I am still looking for ways to get her up around 17MPG... if i get get her to 17 than I am happy

Yeah I spose I stated that wrong. I fill up every time the fuel light comes on and when I get done it is usually about 19.67-20.7 gallons of gas (i write the gallons on my receipts). I have the 26 gallon tank but am to skeerd to push it much past the fuel light. I made it 390 miles once and then filled up with 21.9 gallons of gas. I thought I was going to run out on the highway in the middle of nowhere.

Is anyone here balzy enough to fit 25 gallons in when they fill up?

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I spose I stated that wrong. I fill up every time the fuel light comes on and when I get done it is usually about 19.67-20.7 gallons of gas (i write the gallons on my receipts). I have the 26 gallon tank but am to skeerd to push it much past the fuel light. I made it 390 miles once and then filled up with 21.9 gallons of gas. I thought I was going to run out on the highway in the middle of nowhere.

Is anyone here balzy enough to fit 25 gallons in when they fill up?

F**k yea... i put 25 in every single time... and I get about 400 to the tank. I would love to know what you are doing... what model do you have, how are you getting such great milage?? are you driving down hill every day, lol!

No but seriously, what is the secret cuz I just want to get 17 and i will be happy

bunkleman21

Reaction score
F**k yea... i put 25 in every single time... and I get about 400 to the tank. I would love to know what you are doing... what model do you have, how are you getting such great milage?? are you driving down hill every day, lol!

No but seriously, what is the secret cuz I just want to get 17 and i will be happy

Well here is my story. I bought my Hoe back in January. It is a 2000 LS with the 5.3. It was completely stock. I bought it the day after a pretty good snowstorm here in Wisconsin. This winter was the winter from hell. I was constantly using 4 wheel drive on the city streets because Madison had misteriously come up with a hole in the budget and wouldnt plow the city streets for about 48 hrs after a storm. Some roads didnt get plowed for over a week. My coworkers were calling in because they were getting stuck all over. I made it to work every day and usually early. Well at this time I was getting about 14 sometimes 15 mpg. It stayed like that until March. I dont know that we had a week with clear roads. Then I went out and got a K&N intake and my mpg didnt change. I was pissed. As soon as it started getting warmer I swapped my muffler for a flowmaster (just a muffler swap) and the snow went away my mpg shot up. I have been well above 16 since. I attribute most of it to letting my Tahoe run warm up in the morning on those cold days. 10 minutes each morning so I dont freeze my fingers off. I dont drive like a grandma, i dont put it in neutral and coast, I really dont do anything speacial. I dont know:confused:.

Jerome A Franks

Reaction score
Somebody please share the wealth.. When I fill up its right about 22 gallons and 385 miles... I have a stock 2005 Tahoe... Ive tried Lucas Fuel Additive and that Marvel Mystery Oil additive still no change.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somebody please share the wealth.. When I fill up its right about 22 gallons and 385 miles... I have a stock 2005 Tahoe... Ive tried Lucas Fuel Additive and that Marvel Mystery Oil additive still no change.

My math tells me you are getting about 17.5 MPGs... dont complain! I would love to get 17.5...

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Right now I'm averaging about 15mpg. I lost a couple mpg with the wheels, but after the intake and exhaust, I gained a couple mpg back and another mpg after adding the elec fans.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My math tells me you are getting about 17.5 MPGs... dont complain! I would love to get 17.5...

With the short trips... A/C... and idling to keep cool while one of us goes into the store, I think we're averaging about 12.3... hoping to get it to around 15-16...