Key programming Tahoe 03

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danjelo

Reaction score
When I bought my Tahoe, I only got one key. I need at least one more and here in Sweden they tell me that I need to program the key in the shop. They charge an arm and a leg, so I was wondering if this is something I can do myself?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Our trucks use GM's Passlock II system. The keys for the Passlock I and II systems are in no way different than your normal key. The only RF immobilizer system GM uses is in the newer Passlock III systems, which is not used in our trucks. These are the ones that have to be programmed.
The PKI and PKII systems use a resistance code from the ignition cylinder, rather than from the key like the older GM VATS system or a RF system in most other manufacturers' vehicles. So when you turn the ign cylinder to the crank position with the right key, the PKII module sends that resistance code in the ign cylinder to the BCM, which then decodes it and sends the signal to the PCM that it can start the vehicle.
So, all you need is for the second key to have the exact same cut. No programming required.

Danjelo

Reaction score
What is it then that they want to program? The remote to the alarm? That should just be a frequency check shouldn't it?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Why would they need to program a remote to the alarm if you're only getting a new key made? They don't need to. Maybe they don't realize the GM PKII system isn't an RF based immobilizer system.

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe hes talking about the key fob? im about to buy one off of ebay so i need to figure that but i think i have seen it on here. yes i actually use the search function:)