longtube vs. shorty headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ventu71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just read a review of this guy that had shorty headers on his tahoe and then installed the dynatech longtubes with highflow catalitic converters, and he says the difference is noticeable. I currently have the jba ceramic shortys on mine and Im looking for more power, since i dont want to spend 7 grand in a supercharger, i thought this may be the way to go, but will there be much difference to be woth it? does anyone has experience with this? hp numbers perhaps?

riverst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had JBA headers on my explorer and i lost low end power, but gain high end. I spent a whole lot of money buying them and getting them installed and i was unhappy with the results. I think headers go great with a supercharger setup, but stock setup i would just keep the factory tubes. maybe the tahoes are different, but im not buying headers untill some one can prove that low enough horsepower is gained vs money spent!

ochaole

Reaction score
wont get much results from the shorty's,,,just a hit in the pocket,,,you'll get results from the longtubes,,, i picked up 25 hp on my cadi when i threw on LT's

jetskied

Reaction score
Depends on the modifications done to the engine. On lightly modified engine such as CAI, Cat back, reflash the HP gain from headers is small and usually at the top end. You most likely lose some botoom end HP. Long tubes usually have a broader torque band compare to shorty, but if you are not running heads and cams I say you really won't get your money worth from headers.

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
LTs all the way if you are throwing money at headers. Shorties are pretty close to what you have for your stockers, so really just swapping for newer ones. Also, no need to by high flow cats as your stock cats flow plenty good.

I am really happy with the AEM LT headers I put in my Tahoe, we have them on the SSS as well.