Looking for natural looking HIDs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

q z71

Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I have a 2008 white Z71, (I call it the beast or the family truckster) which I am in love of. HOwever, I do wish it had stock HIDs. What I am looking for is any advice from people who have HIDs about which ones look the most natural. I put some bulbs in my old Grand Cherrokee and they were just way too blue. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Q

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The color temperature of your HIDs is what you are concerned with. You'll see lights advertised as 10,000K, that is very blue. Natural color is around 4300K. As long as you stay between 4000K and 5000K you should be fine.

q z71

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your response. Will the 4300k look like halogens? And if so, should I go for the 6000k? I am just looking for Escalade-like lights. Also, I am assuming that I can just put the bulbs and ballasts in where the existing lights are. Thanks.

Q

macgyver

Reaction score
I wanted an OEM look as well when I was shopping lights for my Denali. Ultimately, I bought 6000k and feel they are just the slightest bit too blue for my tastes. If I could do it over I would go with the 5000k; in fact, if they ever burn out I will get 5000k. Don't get me wrong though, 6000k looks really good too (its subtle).

Since the Escalade uses projectors the light appears more blue/purple around the edges, while the output light is pure white (around 5000k). On a truck without projectors you can only have one or the other.

I suggest buying your lights from here. http://www.ddmtuning.com/hidkihidbuhi.html

LaredoTexas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you want OEM look stay with 4300K let them burn for a few hours and they will turn from yellow/white to white/white....

q z71

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all your help. One more question though, are there any companies out there that have projector style lights that have the factory housing. I have found some but they look..........well.........Cheap and Ghetto.

Thanks,

Q

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's one on Ebay that has Projectors and just 4 side LED nd halo which looks pretty damn clost to stock.
Too bad aftermarket projectors aren't the best!

GM Fan

Reaction score
I just installed a set from V-LEDS and chose 5000K. I dont care about the blue tint, I am more concerned about light output. I'm getting old and for me more light is better.
My son bought the DDM tuning brand with the 6000K and they are very blue.

LaredoTexas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed a set from V-LEDS and chose 5000K. I dont care about the blue tint, I am more concerned about light output. I'm getting old and for me more light is better.

I have 5k on my headlights.. and they look ok for now.. i might go back into 4300K and let them burn for the perfect look

Vrrooom

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Most light is achieved at ~4000k, meaning the 4300k option would be the best for most light output.

Ed Blown Vert

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have that same set, they don't seem that blue to me.

To the OP, 4300k to 5000k is what you want.

picture.php

picture.php

Heath

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting some used Escalade housing and some used Ho housings and butchering them to see what I could come up with.

RIZZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

GMz71

Reaction score
The only problem with those projectors is that they are not designed for HIDs...They are halogen projectors. You are pretty much only buying looks, not real projectors to give you a sharp cut off.

sharpetx

Reaction score
I wanted an OEM look as well when I was shopping lights for my Denali. Ultimately, I bought 6000k and feel they are just the slightest bit too blue for my tastes. If I could do it over I would go with the 5000k; in fact, if they ever burn out I will get 5000k. Don't get me wrong though, 6000k looks really good too (its subtle).

Since the Escalade uses projectors the light appears more blue/purple around the edges, while the output light is pure white (around 5000k). On a truck without projectors you can only have one or the other.

I suggest buying your lights from here. http://www.ddmtuning.com/hidkihidbuhi.html

I had 5000K on a TB, 4300K on my last Hoe and got the 6000K for my new one. I also found the 6000K a little too "blue" for my tastes, but I simply ordered a set of 5000K bulbs from the vendor at $22.00 shipped and changed them out (PITA)? They are very bright, and have the slightest blue tint to them, a lot like an OEM BMW HID light. We also have a C6 Vette, and the HID's on there match up more to the 4300K. Its all what you like, but the lower the "number", the more lumens (light output) you'll get if that's what you're looking for.

mikeb33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anybody who put HIDs on a Yukon, is there any issues? I heard something about the headlights going on dim for daytime running lights, then brighter for headlights and even brighter for brights? Can these DDM kits deal with this?

496 BB

Reaction score
4300K color is the brightest you can get period. It produces ~3200 lumens of light output and is the factory color of OEM headlights that are HID. As you move up the Kelvin scale you are decreasing the lumens but increasing the color within the light itself. When you goto a 6000K color you are decreasing the lumens output by ~10%-15%. Honestly I think the best color out there is 5000K. Most call their 4300K kit this anyways or use this as their 4700K kit.

Oh and someday you guys will realize DDM Tuning is a joke. I have been screwed by them more times than not and the customer service is horrible to say the least. Bunch of kids working there with no clue whats going on. I would NEVER support them again. If you want a real kit buy Phillips components and piece it together yourself. If you look at Ebay 90% of all the bulbs are the same thing but priced differently. Ive been running those bulbs for over 2 years without a hitch. Ballast are what makes these last.