looking to fix some bugs...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK... i just got to fixing my horn, which got me to take apart my st column.. which made me think about my high-beam problem. My high beam went out many yrs ago. If I pull the stalk toward me, I hear the click, but it does absolutely nothing. No high-beam... not dash indicator, etc.

At one point I thought it was my aftermarket alarm system... maybe it was tapped into the light's wiring, but I realized that the alarm doesn't activate the brights at all.

Is it common for the turn signal/hi-beam switch to go bad?
Relay and fuses are fine... but no clicking sound.

-Also, my dash lights don't turn on automatically sometimes... normally it turns on when the parking brake is released... but if I toggle the parking brake switch, it turns on and stays on... like normal operation.
Is the headlight switch (the one you rotate) also a common part that goes bad?

-One more... my right/rear window switch seems to be bad... I think. Basically, I can operate that window w/ the driver's master window controls, but the switch on the actual door does nothing. Is this also common? How did you fix?

Anybody have similar problems?

Thanks!~

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the multi switch can go bad. not sure how common it is, but anything is posible at over 160K. sure its been clicked hundreds of times.

headlight switch ususlly burns wires form what i've read (which could also affect the highs) should be able to pull off that trim panel its snapped into and see if the wires have turned brown or not.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks... I'll check that next...

You get around to the rear discs yet?

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i agree , check headlight switch first. rear window sound like bad switch on rear door.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very interesting timing...

last night I was at work untill 1am... and I get in my cold truck (california cold = 50 deg)... Sure enough, my dash lights don't turn on automatically when I release the parking brake. I rotate the light switch, and the dash lights turn on... ok, no biggie yet.. because at least they work..right?

A mile later, at a red light, I hear clicking noises... almost like a slight sizzle... comming from the switch. I verified the switch by turning it on and off... and sure enough ... the switch is clicking when on. I'll have to get a new one... hope this solves one of my small bugs...

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good to hear you seem to have found the problem. you may have to splice in new wiring if the originals turned brown. it would be amazing if it was a cold 50 degrees here. i think we have been hitting closer and closer to the single digits out here.... already had to use the 4wd in the snow...

the disc kit is still sitting in the old garage along with the much needed replacement rear brake line i just remembered (****). still have some work to do before the lifted tahoe will fit in the new garage which starts in a week or so.... those taller garage doors are rediculously over priced....

so the disc kit will just have to wait a little while longer. been watching the hydroboost thread. going to try to find one at the yards up in indy when we start hitting them again and change it all out at the same time. :) (rear disc swap, slotted front rotors, better pads, and hopefully the hydroboost kit)

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the clicking 'sizzle' sound... it was comming from a relay under the foot well... next to the steering shaft. It is the middle relay (the smaller one). I don;t know what this is for yet, but hopefully find out soon.

As for the headlight switch, it seems to be working so far... but I did notice a few of the wires have been tapped into.... by my alarm installer guy yrs ago.