Met up w/Justin for my Blackbear tune today!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

animalbmx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HOLY SH!T is all I have to say! Its like driving a race inspired tahoe now. In normal mode with 75% TM removed it drives soooo much better over stock. Shifting is nice and crisp not to firm not to soft. Normal acceleration from a stop light is a night and day difference over stock too.
The real fun begins once I hit that tow/haul-ass mode button though:eek::eek2::):cool2: Its like letting a caged beast:mad3: out of it's cage after being locked up for 4 years:lol: I have 100% of the TM removed along with some more aggressive shifting then normal mode. I can't even describe the feeling. I can tell you that 120 in a tahoeis NUTs!
It was also nice to hear that my 120$ ebay intake its hangin with the AEM and K&N intakes.
Justin is a a super cool dude very informative and would be happy to do business with him again. I highly suggest that you go with blackbear when looking for a tune you WILL NOT be dissapointed.

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blackbear Tune

How would someone the Dallas go about getting this tune done?

I understand there's a waiting list, but if I got on the list and bought it... how hard is it to do without a tech?

Thanks

BH

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't buy anything. You get on the list, you pay for the tune and a deposit on the cable and core charge for the PCM, Justin sends you the cable, you hook it up to your truck and a lap top, you drive around, you send him the e-data, he tunes a PCM for you, he sends you the PCM, you swap it for yours, you use the cable and lap top to do a crankcase relearn, you send the cable and your PCM back, you get your deposit and core charge back. From what I understand, anyone with just a little ability and patience can do it. I'm on the waiting list so I haven't done it yet, but that about covers it, right guys?

DarkTahoe00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep that is right. I did the same thing I also had it BB done in Minn on Sat mourning I put my deposit in for the tune and a spare ECM so I could keep my stock ECM!. Man Justin is real cool Great guy and did Excellent job on my Hoe as well couldn't be happier with it! I made a long trip up to have it done but well worth it! Unfortunelly I think my fuel pump gave out 50 miles away for my house,so I had to have it towed and that cost me $175 i couldn't believe it what a rip off! I agree with Animal Justin unleashed a beast! Hey Animal whats up with the roads being red or red hue to them around there?

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed a trend here... People are meeting with Justin to get this done.

I'm sure there are lots of people who have done it themselves, but there two on this post that met him and had him do it. Is there anyone here that did it themselves and has some details on it? Did you have to discuss with him what you wanted out of the tune, or did he observe your driving patterns from the data collected and modify the tune to suit for better performance? Also, do you think the cable would work with a MacBook Pro? I assume there's some sort of software involved, otherwise why plug it into a computer? I'd like to get more performance out of my engine, and additional details from guys who did this themselves would be much appreciated.

Thanks

BH

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't yet but plan on doing it myself. I've been hanging out here since last winter and most people seem to do it themselves. I also asked the Mac question of Jenna. Seems like the response was they didn't know if it would work or not. I know Macs can be set to run as a PC so I would think if you had the tune software fun through Windows it should work.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked jennabear about that. She said she does not think it works on mac. So i just went to bestbuy yesterday and picked up a nice Hp notebook.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the hardware/architechture is the same, it boils down to the software. Yes, Windows is less stable than the Mac OS's, but if you have access to it, and set it up to run right (I don't know how but I know it can be done) the Mac would run like a Windows machine. YOu could do the tune, then never start up as a PC again, or for that matter, remove Windows entirely from the machine. Seems rather extravagant to buy a lap top just to do a tune. I don't have one but plan on borrowing one for the process.

odie301

Reaction score
I had my 04 tahoe tuned Sunday by Justin (in minnesota). Great guy to work with, and MAN what a difference. Everyone was right when they said it makes a huge difference. He left my tow/haul mode alone as I haul a boat and snowmobile trailer. But the difference in normal mode is amazing. Much less throttle to get the same response as stock...and the shift improvements are excellent. After playing with all the performance this weekend during deer hunting...i finally filled it up and drove "normal" So far I am getting about a 2-3 mpg improvement which is excellent! Plus gas went down again here it is a $1.99 (hasn't been that cheap for ever). This was definetly worth the price, i would recommend it to anyone looking for vast improvement over stock

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the hardware/architechture is the same, it boils down to the software. Yes, Windows is less stable than the Mac OS's, but if you have access to it, and set it up to run right (I don't know how but I know it can be done) the Mac would run like a Windows machine. YOu could do the tune, then never start up as a PC again, or for that matter, remove Windows entirely from the machine. Seems rather extravagant to buy a lap top just to do a tune. I don't have one but plan on borrowing one for the process.

I dont care, IM gunna loose it all to our new president anyway. Ok enough of that.

I had a mac so thats why I went out and bought it. Plus I needed new windows base computer for a long time, Cant use macs at work, they are not compatible with the design programs.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont care, IM gunna loose it all to our new president anyway. Ok enough of that.

I had a mac so thats why I went out and bought it. Plus I needed new windows base computer for a long time, Cant use macs at work, they are not compatible with the design programs.

Makes sense.