Might buy an '04 Tahoe, advice appreciated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoneStarWings

Reaction score
Hi,

I am considering buying an '04 tahoe. It belonged to my grandma and she only used it to drive back and forth 2 miles to work everyday, so it only has 12,000 miles on it.

It's in good condition and has been fairly babied, because, well, a grandma was driving it. She is offering to sell it to me for $10,000. Does this seem like a fair price? Are there any major problems with '04's that I should be aware of? How could I find out if this one was made in mexico or the US?

This Tahoe has cloth seats, buckets up front and benches in the back and 3rd row. It's pretty well equipped other than that, it has cruise control, a compass/thermometer on the rear view mirror, power seats and windows, tinted windows, beige paint, gray interior, etc.

I had a chance to drive the Tahoe and I really like the feel of it, probelm is everyone I know seems to be trying to dissaude me from buying it. They say it's too big for me since I'm just a single guy, gets bad mpg's, isn't stylish sexy or cool, that I'd never need it for offroad since I live in a big city, and that it isn't as reliable as an imported car. My dad even offered to sell me his Acura TL instead for $15,000 (it has 50,000 miles on it).

I was previously driving a V8 mustang so I'm used to the poor gas mileage, although the tahoe will probably be 20-25% worse. I can really see myself driving this tahoe, I just feel guilty about wanting it for some reason. I'm looking for some moral support I guess. Everyone seems to be steering me away from it, but for some reason I like the tahoe.

It's probably because I'm from texas, have always wanted a truck but have been relegated to small coupes my entire life. I also am into aftemarket audio and am already dreaming about what I could put into a tahoe. I drive about 350-400 miles per week, mostly highway by myself, so while an subcompact would probably be the logical, thrifty choice, I'm somehow drawn to the Tahoe.

Thanks for reading, I appreciate any advice.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im single and have an extended version, gets me about 14 mpg, and i love it, all the space and comfort. Big engine. I have had 7 of these and all but one (sold it for this one because of the deals) i have taken well over 200k with no major problems (starter on a couple, fuel pump on another)

HitandRunDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, i'm a 19 year old college student. I drive 300-330 miles a week, averaging around 16.5 gallons now with a few mods. Besides normal maintenance i havent really had any big issues with mine at all, even though it is at 105k....I get many comments on it because i clean it basically every day. It's really personal taste, not everybody loves it...i had doubts at first but it's part of me now and i wouldnt have it any other way

DarkTahoe00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would buy it you know where its been and for 10k with only 12k to me thats a deal!
But go with your gut is telling you,if its something you want don't let others influance you to do what they want you yo do! Weigh it all out the good and bad points of buying the Hoe and go from there! I'll tell this you want be dissappointed with it if you do buy it!
They a Good and Strong truck with alot of options for you to do to them in the lines of modding them!

Jsho13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10k is a deal on a basically new tahoe. I would jump on it. I got rid of a low mileage grand prix for my Yukon. It was my old mans and I ended up paying 11k for the Denali with 100k on it. I felt guilty because I really didn't need it. Although I do tow, I still have a F150 that I could tow with but I really wanted a suv with towing capacity. I get 17mpg on a good day, 12 towing. It's really not that bad because I had to run premium in the grand prix, it almost costs the same to fill up the yuke plus a couple dollars.

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you dont Buy It you will be sorry! Thats one of the best deals for that kind of mileage. Buy it and have your grandma get the new one so after a couple years you can upgrade again for another good deal! But definetly do it I got my 03 denali for about 20K when it had 77k so dont let that opportunity pass. Also I have an acura TL and its no where near as nice as the truck. Plus if it snows in Philly you wont be sorry.

LoneStarWings

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I'm still thinking it over as I have the Acura TL on loan this week before I make my decision. I think the TL will probably save me between $600-$1000/yr on fuel, but considering I can get the tahoe for $5000 less it would take at least 5 years of driving before that would even matter. I've also heard rumors that TL's have transmission problems once they hit 100k miles or so. If I consider resale value I have to wonder how much a 10 year old tahoe will fetch if I want to sell it in a few years though. The acura would undoubtedly be better in that regard, assuming I don't have a 5000 dollar transmission catastrophe.

It's always nice to have a truck though....

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
You typed it yourself. "It is always nice to have a truck".

I went from a crown vic 96 was the model year to a 2002 Suburban. I could'nt and to this day still would have made the same choice due to the deal I got on it.

I tend to have my vehicles for more than a couple years. I did not care what it would be worth at it's 10 year mark. What I was caring about was that I finally had a a newer vehicle, a truck, and something I can mod.

scomo

Reaction score
I recently bought an '04 Tahoe. I flew from Tulsa to Hartford to pick it up, then drove it back. It's an awesome vehicle. I get 21mpg highway and mine is AWD with the 5.3L. To put things into perspective, I think I got a pretty good deal and I bought my LT Tahoe (fully loaded) with 90K on the ticker for $10,500.

Since you know the history of the truck and seem to be interested in it, I would go for it. Look at it this way: If you decide that you don't like it, for whatever reason, sell it for a profit. I guarantee you won't loose a dime on that deal...

HitandRunDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently bought an '04 Tahoe. I flew from Tulsa to Hartford to pick it up, then drove it back. It's an awesome vehicle. I get 21mpg highway and mine is AWD with the 5.3L. To put things into perspective, I think I got a pretty good deal and I bought my LT Tahoe (fully loaded) with 90K on the ticker for $10,500.

I thought they only had AWD as an option on the Yukon and Denali, and sorry to split hairs here but there is no way you are getting 21mpg. From the factory these were rated 10mpg city and 15mpg highway. With a CAI, exhaust, and Blackbear tune i've bumped it up to around 16.5mpg, or 330 miles per tank.

Tahoe7689

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a very good deal! You will not be disappointed, like the guys have said there is a lot of room for mods, but its still a great truck if you don't do anything to it. I have an 03 tahoe (from Texas) with 107000 miles and its still running strong along with my dad's 02 avalanche with 106000 and my bro's 00 silverado with 117000. Who said AMERICAN cars were unreliable, these thing will run strong until at least 200k as long as you do reg. maitenence. I also feel alot safer with a bigger car, even though i'm the only one driving it. I was rear ended at 45mph by an electrician driving his work vehicle, a ford e250 van with 15 foot enclosed trailer on the highway and it only dented my bumper, it didn't even push it into the body. You will love the truck, especially in texas where everyone else drives a truck! haha

scomo

Reaction score
I thought they only had AWD as an option on the Yukon and Denali, and sorry to split hairs here but there is no way you are getting 21mpg. From the factory these were rated 10mpg city and 15mpg highway. With a CAI, exhaust, and Blackbear tune i've bumped it up to around 16.5mpg, or 330 miles per tank.

I took a 100 mile trip just last weekend and was getting 20.7mpg per my dash gas mileage calculator. I got 19 the week before. I don't know if you have checked for the fuel mileage thread on this site, but plenty of people are getting significantly more than 15mpg. The only reason I got the mileage I did was due to my speed. I was traveling at 65mph.
http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=8293

Also, I didn't know they offered AWD in the Tahoe's either until I saw mine. Apparently there weren't too many.

sothpaw62

Reaction score
Buy the vehicle. If you don't, please contact me and I'll give your grandmother the $10K. If you are driving 350-400 miles per week on the highway, you will get about 17.5-18 MPG. I have a 2005 Yukon and a 2005 Acura TL. The TL's that you need to be concerned about with transmissions is 1999-2003. The new body style came with the totally revamped tranny. In the TL we get about 20-21 MPG so there isn't much difference...at least as I'm concerned.

Not attractive or sexy? Toss a set of 20's on there, tint the windows and tell us you don't get some looks!

Take care,
Sothpaw62

LoneStarWings

Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions guys, I decided to buy the tahoe. After driving it for a week I really enjoyed myself am going to cut my grandma a check for 10k.

It has some damage on the left rear fender an a nick on the rear access door, and the carpet is stained up a bit from haulig plants, but other than that it's in fine shape.

Already planning to put two 12" idmax subwoofers and a 6.5" component set in this thing!