Motor Oil Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any oil changers notice this?:

Directly above the oil filter is an oval shaped plate vertically oriented with a bolt at either end of the oval. There appears to be oil leaking from around this plate. Between my last change, about 7500 miles, the oil leaked out enough to run down the filter, and blown onto the flywheel housing. The oil level appeared to have been unchanged between changes, but there is definitely a leak there. The dealer is going to look at it tomorrow when the rear glass is swapped out.

dlz71

Reaction score
I noticed the same thing on my 2007 - when changing the oil. I've paid close attention to mine as well - meaning it is not enough of a leak to even drop on the garage floor; yet I do want to get this fixed before it becomes a problem.

This is something that would only be noticed if you changed your own oil.

What did your dealer say about this? Any fixes/suggestions?

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep us updated. I have an oil leak that I am trying to pinpoint. The leak is leaving large spots on the garage floor...

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to cancel my appointment several times, but have another scheduled for next Friday. I'll let you know.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update!

I got the new rear glass on today, and had them look at the oil leak. I got this second-hand from the wife, as she was the one who took the car there. The service guy said that the oval plate covers an oil exit that's used for another application, I'm guessing an oil cooler option that isn't present on my vehicle. The 2 bolts that hold the plate and gasket to the block were loose, and that's why it was leaking. He said that he's seen this before, so it might be something to check the next time your under the engine for an oil change.

dlz71

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback - let me know if that stops your leak. I tried that initially - but I still see a small amount near the same place that you described