MP3 files on a DVD - does it play on the factory nav/DVD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question -- has anyone tried an MP3 DVD (not a CD) in their nav / DVD player? Does it work, will it play songs from it? If so, was your disc a 4.7GB DVD, or a dual-layer 8.5GB DVD?

Thanks!

I may just try this later this evening to see if it works at all... :cool2: I suppose I could just open the nav manual and look it up, see what it says...

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DANG!

I think I have my answer from the nav system manual:

• Maximum 32 characters, including spaces,
in a file or folder name.
• Maximum number of folders is 253 with a
maximum hierarchy of eight folders.
• Create a folder structure that makes it easy to
find songs while driving. Organize songs by
albums using one folder for each album.
Each folder or album should contain 18 songs
or less.
• It is recommended that there is a maximum
of 192 files on a disc.
• The files can be recorded on a CD-R or CD-RW
with a maximum capacity of 700MB.
• DVD with MP3 are not playable on this system.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, i was sad about that, i tried a dvd-r and found the only thing that WOULD play it was my computer, not even any of the dvd players in the house would, so i stick to cds and good old fm radio. :lol:

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, i was sad about that, i tried a dvd-r and found the only thing that WOULD play it was my computer, not even any of the dvd players in the house would, so i stick to cds and good old fm radio. :lol:

I hope I'm understanding this correctly............I burn my own DVD's also using Memorex DVD+R and they play everywhere, house and truck. I'm using a Sony Dual Layer Burner.
I hope I just didnt make an ass of myself.........:lol:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MP3's play off of a burned DVD in the truck? Maybe I'll try it anyway... :rolleyes: I suspect a DVD movie (home-burned or store-bought) would play just fine in the vehicle nav/DVD...

CobraKai

Reaction score
All of the DVDs in my Tahoe are backups that I've burned onto DVD+/-R discs, and they play fine. However, I have no idea whether it will read/play DVD mp3 audio files only.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wanted to try music as the acadia and enclave have a 5.1 surround sound chip and i wanted to see if music would play in 5.1.

chadwick02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone confirmed if the nav will play MP3 DVDs???
This could make the difference between ordering my Hoe with navigation, or ordering it with a regular stereo and putting an after market unit in.

- Chad

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I never tried it because of the last bullet (straight from the manual) in my post above:

• DVD with MP3 are not playable on this system.

I'm burning a disc right now, gonna go try it in the next hour, will let you know.

Last edited:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does Not Work

Sorry, but this truly doesn't work. "Disc Read Error" is what you get after the unit scans the disc.

The AUX input on the front of the unit really makes this issue irrelevant to me, as I just use my MP3 player to play whatever music I want from the 60GB available to me...