MPG's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonJacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one with piss poor milage or is there alot of BS out there.
Here's the deal.
"00" GMC Yukon w/85K
Changes made:
Synthetic oil in the Differentials
Seafoamed, changed motor oil, switched to sythetic Mobile 1
New plugs and wires
K&N air intake

Checked it again today if I got 1/2 mpg I am lucky. Right now I get < 13MPG on suburban roads. I will check my hiway milage when I take a trip to
Va. Beach in June.

evenflow76

Reaction score
Am I the only one with piss poor milage or is there alot of BS out there.
Here's the deal.
"00" GMC Yukon w/85K
Changes made:
Synthetic oil in the Differentials
Seafoamed, changed motor oil, switched to sythetic Mobile 1
New plugs and wires
K&N air intake

Checked it again today if I got 1/2 mpg I am lucky. Right now I get < 13MPG on suburban roads. I will check my hiway milage when I take a trip to
Va. Beach in June.

If i use Sheetz gas i get terrible mileage (15mpg), and if i use better brands like Exxon i get about 17mpg with 87 octane. I am totailly stock except 22 inch wheels which so far have taked 1 to 2mpg from me

should mention it is an 04 with 40k miles

YukonJacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I know the newer ones do a lil better. I use Sunoco gas

SapperRyash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im getting about 17-18MPG city but i drive like a grandpa. i have 24s, magnaflow custom bent exhaust, and AEM Brute Force Intake. im about to get a tune from justin at blackbear before too long. that should give me about another 1-2mpg on top of what im getting now.

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MPGs

I have an 04' Z71 with a K&N 57 intake... everything else stock. I do a lot of stop & go city driving, and I get 14 mpg.

It's better on the highway, but only sort of.

BH

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I'm avg'ing about 14-15mpg with mine, mixed city/hwy. Went down a bit to about 12mpg with the 24s, but brought it back up some with the elec fan mod, cai, and exhaust.

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
question about the wheels

Maybe a stupid ???, but why would the MPG go down after buying 24" rims & low profile tires? Are they heavier, or do the create some sort of drag on the truck?

I am just curious.

BH

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Maybe a stupid ???, but why would the MPG go down after buying 24" rims & low profile tires? Are they heavier, or do the create some sort of drag on the truck?

I am just curious.

BH

The wheels are usually considerably heavier, unless you go with a multi-piece design. Plus you have a larger contact patch from the larger diameter and wider tread, which equals more rolling resistance.

EZStreet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im getting about 17-18MPG city but i drive like a grandpa. i have 24s, magnaflow custom bent exhaust, and AEM Brute Force Intake. im about to get a tune from justin at blackbear before too long. that should give me about another 1-2mpg on top of what im getting now.

This is no joke. My MPG jumped from 14.2 to 16.8 just from one of his tunes. Best $150 I ever spent

SapperRyash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is no joke. My MPG jumped from 14.2 to 16.8 just from one of his tunes. Best $150 I ever spent

did you get the custom one with the computer scan cable? or was it just the one that he sends you without the input from your truck?

EZStreet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After talking to Justin I decided to just go with the basic tune. Apparantly all the scan cable tune really does differently is find anything that may be wrong with your engine, it doesn't really affect performance. I've been very pleased with the results, but jut FYI..don't send him your aftermarket wheel and tire sizes when he sends you the worksheet, just use the stock wheel and tires sizes. If you put the aftermarket sizes in you'll lose your traction control and your speedo will be off about 5 mph or so

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey hey i will keep an eye out for ya. but will be in chicago and seattle for most of june. but maybe we will cross paths.

but my old 06 got 16 mpg city and 17 highway on a very good day.

my new one i have driven about 224 miles and im just at the half tank, the dic says im only getting 7.6 mpg, but im sure thats just because its so dang new.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 3.42s on both of the Tahoes so that is a boost for my highway mileage. The 2004 gets around 12 city (dropped from 14 when I put bigger all terrains on it) but usually stays around 20-21 on the highway cruising 70-75. The 2008 gets about 13 city and 18 highway. I don't know why the 2004 is so good on gas, I think 21 highway is just about unheard of with these things. No mods..

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my new one i have driven about 224 miles and im just at the half tank, the dic says im only getting 7.6 mpg, but im sure thats just because its so dang new.

Thats about right for its age. I didnt start getting decent gas mileage in the Z71 until after a few thousand miles. It's at 18k now and getting 13/18. It's crazy how it has more than half the miles that the 2004 has and its only 5 months old.

AaronJames

Reaction score
2001 Tahoe with a 4.8L, s&b CAI, Hypertech Max energy, and a series 40 flowmaster. Just got 18.5 mpg on my last tank. 100% in town driving.

I haven't tried any type of synthetic fluids, but those are next to be phased in as maintenance demands. I am thinking Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil w/k&n filter will be first up.

99TAHOE22'S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when you guys do a tune up what all are you replacing besides plugs plug wires oil and air filter?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need to replace the wires unless they're damaged; just get some good ngk plugs, fuel filter, replace fluids in the front and rear diffs with a good synthetic (rp, amsoil, etc), auto trak II in the tcase (unless non-autotrac or 2wd), and replace the air filter unless you already have an aftermarket intake. A good synthetic engine oil helps too, I picked up a little mileage and power when I started running rp in my trucks.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats about right for its age. I didnt start getting decent gas mileage in the Z71 until after a few thousand miles. It's at 18k now and getting 13/18. It's crazy how it has more than half the miles that the 2004 has and its only 5 months old.

tell ya though, never thought i could love a vehicle more than i loved my 06, but i was proved wrong. just checked and im at 538 miles right now.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tell ya though, never thought i could love a vehicle more than i loved my 06, but i was proved wrong. just checked and im at 538 miles right now.

Yeah each of them have their good points. The OBS definitely rides better, that could be the premium smooth ride over the Z71 suspension, though. The exterior of the NBS looks better, I like the interior of the OBS. I can't say I really like one better than the other.