MSD coils???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ventu71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, just wondering what are the benefits of replacing stock coils with msd coils (for my 07 hoe)? I know you get multiple spark discharge under 3000rpm, but any REAL mpg gains or hp? Is there a good reason to spend $630 on them? Thanks.

Robert

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to GM insider...

Do not use the MSD MSC Kit for GM GEN III LS-1/LS-6 Engines on your new 2007 Tahoe.
One of the enhancements to the Gen-IV engines (found in 07 Tahoe’s) is a more efficient and powerful coil pack and I’ll wager a bet that these new MSD coils are built around a similar design as the current OEM GEN-IV coil paks.
It is very unlikely that a person would notice any difference in performance or economy if they installed the MSD coils on an older stock GEN-III engine either because the new coil-near-plug design is so vastly superior to the previous cap and rotor ignition systems it leaves much less room to improve upon.
Aftermarket performance parts companies (like MSD) are forced to introduce products such as these MSC coil pack kits in order to remain in business; however as the market shifts to more high-tech it is becoming increasingly difficult for them to develop products that impact performance the way their products did when we were kids.
With all that said I’m sure that we’ll hear from somebody that installed these coils on their Tahoe and now gets 40 MPG and pushes 400 HP.

ventu71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes sense. Its all I wanted to know. Thanks tahoe07

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plug wires on the LSX engine are more of an issue than anything else as the heat deteriorates them.