My 6.0L 4L80e build and swap, so far...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Copper&BlackYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what I have been doing with my free time since I picked this beast up around thanksgiving. I picked up this 6.0L 4L80e locally on ebay for $1,136. One of the headers was damaged from the accident the truck was in. I was able to find a replacement set of 317 heads on ebay, that have a been completely overhauled, New LS2 Valves, Springs, Seals, and has been surfaced for $375. I was also able to find a Magnacharger, on ebay, MP112 intercooled, very lightly used for only $2,800. I will be installing a cam shaft I also found on ebay that had 1000 miles on it for $190, Lingenfelter LS1-GT2-5 222/222 .566/.566 w 1.7 rocker 112 CL. I went to summitracing.com and ordered pretty much everything I need including, all tensioners, idler pulley, ARP head bolts, damper bolt and other bolts.
The block is going to take a trip to a local engine shop just to bore out the cylinder walls to get rid of some very mild corrosion from moister that leaked in from the crack in the header, and to accomadate the forged Mahle pistons 4.010. Then I will be hitting it with the gloss black engine enamel, and then she goes back together.
Still plenty to do but that is the progress so far...

P1011928.jpg

P1011925.jpg

Before.jpg

P1011943.jpg

P1011948.jpg

P1011952.jpg

Last edited:

Copper&BlackYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P1011955.jpg

Little rust from the cracked exhaust manifold and head, but it doesn't really matter since I am going with forged pistons and rods and having the cylinders bored to 4.010.

P1011966.jpg

P1011971.jpg

P1012041.jpg

P1012046.jpg

P1012056.jpg

Copper&BlackYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, thats gonna be sweet. Do you have the 5.3 in your Yukon now?

Yup she's got 160k and still running real strong surprisingly, considering it sees WOT a min of 3-5 times a day. When I make the swap I may rebuild the 5.3 with a turbo or something to throw in an old Camaro or GTO body... As another project way down the road...

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get any pics of the top of the pistons? Sh*t is gonna be quick, you getting longtubes and building the 4L80?

jgiguere17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn. did you get the ECM programmed by BlackBear yet? Please take lots of pictures throughout the process, what do you expect the number you will put down to the wheels?

any dyno in the future after you get it up and running?

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, thats sick I guess you never really know whats under the hood until you purchase it off ebay and rebuild it bolt by bolt

yukondoit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats going to be baad! Supercharged 6.0 in a Kon, nice. Would like to do something like this one day, probably just keep it stock. Keep us updated.

.justin.

Reaction score
Looks like you're on your way there. Blower looks relatively new, even has the fuel rail balance tube in the front (relatively recent addition).

I would suggest rethinking the cam choice though, especially with the 112 on a 6.0L. Even with the smallest pulley you can get (2.75"), you're likely only going to see 5-6psi due to the overlap on that cam. It'll sound nice and healthy at idle, but would be much better suited in a N/A setup. Something like the Vinci Trucker cam (216/224 .551/.551 115LSA), LPE GT2-3 or LS6 cam would be a better choice for a blower.

Copper&BlackYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get any pics of the top of the pistons? Sh*t is gonna be quick, you getting longtubes and building the 4L80?

I donno if longtube are a good idea since i will still be using it for towing. The 80e is in good working order, all I will be doing is gutting it to replace the output to a 4wd, and installing a transgo shift kit.

Here is a pic of the pistons that will be going in...

P1012070.jpg

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering more about the stock pistons, but those look pretty. You're already fvcked for towing if you use that cam, might as well get some longtubes and have justin work his magic on the tune. Might want to consider something with a little less duration depending on how much you wanna tow. I really think you should beef up the trans too.