My New Look Pictures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have slowly been transforming my Tahoe to a whole new look. Not everyone will like the blackout look i have done, but its what i personally like. I will be blacking out the chrome trim on the rest of the truck, and changing my bumbers to solid offroad black bumper, 96procomp posted a link in another thread for the bumpers i like. I love my new mud terrains, and the Flowmaster 50 series S.U.V so far. I'm loving my truck better and better every day. Tell me what you think.

Attachments

• tahoe mods 005.jpg
    tahoe mods 005.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 23
  • tahoe mods 009.jpg
    tahoe mods 009.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 27
  • tahoe mods 011.jpg
    tahoe mods 011.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 17
  • tahoe mods 010.jpg
    tahoe mods 010.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 15
  • tahoe mods 012.jpg
    tahoe mods 012.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 20

PotentialTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kind of paint did you use on your wheels. I have regular steel w/t wheels on mine that I want to paint gloss black

99TAHOE22'S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good man.... I like the black rims on 4x4 trucks so just build it the way you like

Mark 97 Tahoe

Reaction score
Love the look. I'm doing the same black out on my 2 door. Turning it into a sport look - no chrome anywhere & black bumpers & below the beltline on the sides. I'm using self-etching primer after sanding the chrome & duplicolor semi-gloss black from autozone. I also added aftermarket wheel well flares. I'll post pics when I'm done.

YukonMud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking good!
I love the blacked out look, I am doing the samething, trying to remove all chrome/badging and replace with something black. I am hoping to replace all the lights in the front & rear soon. :) I also want to change out the wheels & tires but they are new and think I should probably get some use out of them first....in which case I might copy what you did with your wheels.

on a side note...have you thought about turning the tires around so the white walls face inwards?

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the replies. In answer to the painting I just sanded the hell out of them. I started by sandblasting but that was just a mess, so I used an orbital sander to remove clear coating and a air disc sander for the hard to reach places. I used two coats of a light self etching primer and 2 more coats of a semi gloss acrylic laquer (which finishes much harder than other paints) They are holding up great, no scrathing or dulling at all.

For the white lettering, I mounted them myself and was trying to decide, White or no white? I just kinda liked how the white letters stuck out so i went with it. If im ever bored i might flip them around.

I was also being warned about the harsh ride and noise of the M/T's but i love them and think they ride great too.

SmothZ71

Reaction score
Looks good. I'm going for a blackout look myself. I have Rhino Liner on the fender flares and along the entire bottom(done by the previous owner), I'm going to finish it off by lining the bumpers eventually. I hate chrome, but luckily I don't have a chrome grille or anything to deal with.

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. I'm going for a blackout look myself. I have Rhino Liner on the fender flares and along the entire bottom(done by the previous owner), I'm going to finish it off by lining the bumpers eventually. I hate chrome, but luckily I don't have a chrome grille or anything to deal with.

I would be interested in hearing how that goes, keep us updated.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its lookin good. i love the blackout look myself, and im doing somewhat of the same thing, but on my 86 Z28 IROC-Z =) its all going gloss black other than the gold pinstripe/badges, and the wheels.

but back on subject, i painted a set of rims on a previous SUV semi-flat black and had the white walls turned in. honestly, other than when they were clean and armor-alled they looked like **** compaired to the whitewalls out. just my opinion though.

which bumpers are you going for? i've posted up a couple links to different manufactures.
when the money allows im picking up this for mine:

-rear multicarrier with tire carrier w/:< http://www.kenmtnac.com/MC9299GMC.html >
---Gas can carrier, Hi-Lift Jack carrier, CB Antenna Mount, Gloss Black

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its lookin good. i love the blackout look myself, and im doing somewhat of the same thing, but on my 86 Z28 IROC-Z =) its all going gloss black other than the gold pinstripe/badges, and the wheels.

but back on subject, i painted a set of rims on a previous SUV semi-flat black and had the white walls turned in. honestly, other than when they were clean and armor-alled they looked like **** compaired to the whitewalls out. just my opinion though.

which bumpers are you going for? i've posted up a couple links to different manufactures.
when the money allows im picking up this for mine:

-rear multicarrier with tire carrier w/:< http://www.kenmtnac.com/MC9299GMC.html >
---Gas can carrier, Hi-Lift Jack carrier, CB Antenna Mount, Gloss Black

Yea that is the exact one i like. I think that it would look awsome on the Tahoe, when i have money for it I will get it with the same things, 1 gas can carrier, tire mount, cb antenna mount and jack mount. I would also want to do the front bumper though, but then ill have to also buy another M/T for the spare, so it is a rather expenisve project.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i hear you on it being an expensive project. i have to pick up another rim and tire. im not crazy about the front winch bumper they offer, but it is quite a bit cheaper than the alternatives i've seen.

if i end up buying the winch bumper from them im going to cut apart my current brush guard and weld it on top of just the bumper. there setups on the brush guard part are downright ugly and look like they interfere with the lights themselves.

Anvilair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Rhino Lined my bumpers and the lower part of the truck. It is messy to work with but it does not chip or peel. I used the good stuff that rolls on first and then I keep a can of Plasticote Bed Liner Spray for touch ups but that has not been needed.

I used a wire brush wheel on a drill to rough up the bumpers then I primed in self etching primer and rolled on the Rhino Liner. It took me just a few hours and I get compliments all the time. Plus it is paintable once it is on. I went over it in the same flat black that the truck is now painted in. (dont let the older pic of it shiny fool you, the paint was in BAD shape on the Pasenger side, peeling and chipping, so I went with Semi Flat black)

On the wheels I used 400 grit paper. Then self etching primer. Then Duplicolor High Performance Wheel Enamel, several light coats. I am amazed at how durable this stuff is!!!! 7000 miles and not a chip or a scratch.

Attachments

• yukon1.jpg
    yukon1.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 18
  • yukonblack.jpg
    yukonblack.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 17

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Rhino Lined my bumpers and the lower part of the truck. It is messy to work with but it does not chip or peel. I used the good stuff that rolls on first and then I keep a can of Plasticote Bed Liner Spray for touch ups but that has not been needed.

I used a wire brush wheel on a drill to rough up the bumpers then I primed in self etching primer and rolled on the Rhino Liner. It took me just a few hours and I get compliments all the time. Plus it is paintable once it is on. I went over it in the same flat black that the truck is now painted in. (dont let the older pic of it shiny fool you, the paint was in BAD shape on the Pasenger side, peeling and chipping, so I went with Semi Flat black)

On the wheels I used 400 grit paper. Then self etching primer. Then Duplicolor High Performance Wheel Enamel, several light coats. I am amazed at how durable this stuff is!!!! 7000 miles and not a chip or a scratch.

Yea I too was really impressed with the results, and they are holding up great. I was a little weary about it, but if there prepared right they work great.

Kevs98hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like your going my way I hate chrome on the pewter color Im aiming for as much black as I can get expect for the wheels.