My weekend project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a little help is in order on this one too...

here are the pics of my "new" tails... i actually like them, didnt think i would. But since i got them for $9 i figure i would get into them and make them one of a kind.

I have a can of 'Olympic White' paint on the way and i want to paint the "carbon fiber" portion of these lights to match the truck... we will see how it turns out.

Here is my issue, i am having a really REALLY hard time getting that gray adhesive GOO (this sh*t that held the lens onto the assembly) off. I scraped at it for hours and just cannot get this crap off, wondering if anyone has dealt with this funk before?

also... i was thinking about painting the inside a gloss black... opinions please

Attachments

• tails2.jpg
    tails2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 24
  • open tails.jpg
    open tails.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 20

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the white would look good on your truck, or some of those non-tinted led tails like mine.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the white would look good on your truck, or some of those non-tinted led tails like mine.

i actually have a bid in on ebay right now for some led's... but i need a weekend project and i have have never seen tails that match the paint... should be interesting, i figure for $9 i can afford to ruin the lights without getting upset about it... these are actually copper&blackyukon's old tails

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
www.jonstintedtails.com have pictures of tails that match the paint can even do them for you lights if you want.

I didnt see a single set of tails that matches the paint of those cars... but even so i dont think this is the same as what i am doing here, i am not sure if what i am doing is going to turn out good or not but it should make for a good time.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might be able to remove the adhesive by heating up the housings in the oven and scrubbing it with an eraser.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might be able to remove the adhesive by heating up the housings in the oven and scrubbing it with an eraser.

hmmmm... interesting... the sh*t is really nasty, thick, goo... almost like caulk but a whole hell of a lot stronger...

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Painting the carbon fiber with white you look pretty cool on your truck, I would do it!!
Also, if heating it up wont work to remove the rest of the caulking, try freezing it. Sometimes some caulking will actually kinda harden up a little so you can peel it off (I would try freezing it before I would heat it up). Keep us informed on you success!!

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes i have a feeling this is going to take longer than my weekend...

I think i am going to get some thinner, anyone think the thinner will eat away at the plastic? (im not going to use the thinner on the lens)

Last edited:

yukondoit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea, should look very cool. Not too sure on how to remove that adhesive, but I think either one of the methods (heat or freeze) should get u somewhere. Keep us updated.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are off the site, it depends on whether you are trying to tint the whole light or just a part of it!

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

those pics didnt work...but i am not tinting the lights, i am not even painting the outside, i have pulled the lens off completly and am painting the interior with the same matching paint as my truck

Jsho13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I have heard of people baking stuff like that in the oven to get the adhesive to loosen up. Maybe I am way off but I remember when people do their headlights it involves an oven in some way. Could be for the adhesive? Or possible for something else, maybe someone has some more input.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I have heard of people baking stuff like that in the oven to get the adhesive to loosen up. Maybe I am way off but I remember when people do their headlights it involves an oven in some way. Could be for the adhesive? Or possible for something else, maybe someone has some more input.

usually with the headlights its because people are trying to remove the amber from the lens and baking it losens everything up... putting this thing in my oven will be the very last thing i try.. if i try it at all

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i'm new on posting pics, but I get what you want to do with paintng the inside, looks like I'd turn out pretty nice but also looks pretty hard

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i'm new on posting pics, but I get what you want to do with paintng the inside, looks like I'd turn out pretty nice but also looks pretty hard

i have a can of the paint on the way, its gm certified olympic white paint... im going to have to tape off the lights, primer then paint... right now the tough part is getting all the adhesive and silocone off... i hate preping, its a damn nightmare

it should be fun though, not sure how it will turn out but good times none the less

Copper&BlackYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to see you're putting those things to good use man. Looking good, white should be hot, take you time with the masking and prep, 90% of painting is in the prep. Have fun with it!

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here is my progress thus far this weekend. it took a lot of goo gone and toothbrushing to get all the adhesive off, man that took a long ass time, i am still debating on a few things but i will keep posting pics.... still waiting for the paint to get here though :au:

so i pulled my throttle body and cleaned it out...

Attachments

• tails3.jpg
    tails3.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 12

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the paint came yesterday, painted last night, here are the pics, i will probably assemble these when i get off work tomorrow... ill keep posting pictures

Attachments

• DSC_0729.jpg
    DSC_0729.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 11

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like it'll be pretty clean when it all comes together.