Nearly had a stroke changing rear passenger side spark plug!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BountyHunter

Reaction score
Really?!!! Were the engineers of GM that stupid to make it virtually impossible to remove and replace the rear passenger side spark plug?! Without a pair of long needle nose pliers with special tip and a flex head ratchet it would have never happened. Someone needs to invent the right tool for the job. Anyone have the "right" tool?

scooty

Reaction score
I know this an old post but I just changed my plugs and wires....30 min for first 7 plugs...an hour for the last one.If I could get my hands on the engineer it would be justifiable homicide.

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the best in to get to it is a swivel head 3/8 ratchet with a 1" extention and of course the 5/8 spark plug socket... then lay across parallel slightly to the passenger side of the engine with your left hand slide the socket with the 1" extention on it then attach the ratchet and remove spark plug

samotahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
didn't take me too long, learned to take the wheels off and the fenderlining makes life a lot easier while doing these jobs.

cruzer076

Reaction score
Well the best in to get to it is a swivel head 3/8 ratchet with a 1" extention and of course the 5/8 spark plug socket... then lay across parallel slightly to the passenger side of the engine with your left hand slide the socket with the 1" extention on it then attach the ratchet and remove spark plug

Can anyone make a quick video of removing that? I'm planning on doing mine and this is the first I have heard that they were so troublesome but a video would be great to show how to do it.

Thuhreb

Reaction score
What year model are you guys talking about? Just bought a 2007 and plan to change the spark plugs soon.

NathanJax

Reaction score
What year model are you guys talking about? Just bought a 2007 and plan to change the spark plugs soon.

yours :waytogo:

07-14 are a PITA for that last one. I did mine a few weeks ago and it wasn't too bad. But I had mine on a lift and went through the inside wheel fender.

07burb

Reaction score

yours :waytogo:

07-14 are a PITA for that last one. I did mine a few weeks ago and it wasn't too bad. But I had mine on a lift and went through the inside wheel fender.

On my 07 that last one on the pass side nearest the firewall was a complete PITA! I did NOT have a lift so did it in my driveway and had to go at it through the wheel well. Also had to use a few extensions include a swivel extension nearest to the socket since it was not a straight shot.

Donut Slayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha ha, I lost about a pint of blood changing out that plug on my 04 Z71. That dang alum drip pan is SHARP. Wear gloves when doing that one.

Ont240

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I changed mine, I jacked and removed the passenger side tire.
Went through the wheel well opening. Used a plug socket that has a hex on the top that allowed me to use a short socket of the correct size on a 3/8 ratchet. I have another tool known as patience which worked well in this situation. Thank goodness for iradium plugs! Good for another 200K
BTW; They still looked good.

Yukon_Joey

Reaction score
I know the thread is a few months old but through it was worth mentioning that you don't need to remove the tire, just turn your wheels to the left and remove the wheel well. Still had to use a swivel, combination of extensions and a plug socket but, it wasn't bad. Hardest part was pulling the old boot from the plug. When that thing finally let loose, there was blood. I knew it was going to happen but, I was in a rush b/c it was about to rain and I don't have a garage.

PricklyPear

Reaction score
I am in the middle of doing mine and decided to try the wheel well approach to finish. All of them are done except for the back two on the passenger side.

What sort of fasteners hold the wheel well in? Do I need a special tool to remove them? I don't have my Tahoe with me at work and I want to know if I need to pick up a special tool on the way home.

Thuhreb

Reaction score
You don't have to take off the wheel well. You basically need to feel for where ithey are above the engine and then lie down underneath and reach up. It helps if you have someone above who can tell you if your hand is close or what way you will need to go. You have to do it blind by feel. It also helps if you have long arms. I am 6'5 and if I was much shorter I wouldn't have been able to reach.

PricklyPear

Reaction score
I could not see how to do it from underneath - cat converter in the way. Here's the method I worked out.

1. Make sure engine is cold. Set parking brake. Loosen lug nuts on front passenger tire.

2. Jack up Tahoe/ insert jackstand / remove wheel.

3. Going from the hood (top) side, position a flashlight to shine down on the plug area.

4. Going through the existing opening in the wheel well, remove spark plug boot. From here on you will be working through the wheel well.

5. Snap a short (1.5") extension on a spark plug socket. It won't work with a longer extension.

6. You won't be able to see the plug, but you should be able to feel it. Put the spark plug socket on the spark plug. You should now be able to see the female end of the extension, with your flashlight shining on it from above.

7. Snap a rachet onto the extension. This is where the flashlight comes in handy - it will help you line things up visually.

8. Loosen and remove plug.

9. Assembly is reverse of removal. Thread the plug by hand and then torque to specification.

Supercoop

Reaction score
Harbor freight sells a spark plug socket that's 5-6" long with a 3/4" hex head on it as well as a 3/8 ratchet opening. Makes for doing tune ups in under 30 mins.

vash

Reaction score
I have a 99 Tahoe and it wasn't that bad to get the passenger side plugs out. Just make sure your spark plug socket has the rubber ring in it. I used a 6 inch extension and did it from the top side without too much effort.

Ont240

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2007+

This post started om the 2007+ forum. Newer generation is a whole different ball game!

Fred_e81

Reaction score
#8 plug

So, I just changed out all of my plugs and wires on 07. That #8 plug wasnt as bad as it seems. I watched a guy on youtube do it. I kid you not it was a breeze. All you need is a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter, 1/2 to 3/8 adapter and the 5/8 spark plug socket.

With you laying on top of the motor, loosen the oil dip stick and get it out of the way. Remove the plug wire, with some channel locks Then put both adapters on the 5/8 and slide them onto the # 8 plug. Then all you have to do is connect your ratchet which takes a lil finesse and enjoy your cold beer after about 5 min. No joke guys, it was that simple, no jacking up the truck, removing tires or the splash guard. Taking off the old plug wire on that plug took me longer than the plug removal/replacement. Good luck!

Triple check the gaps, I dropped a plug and forgot to check the gap. Had a rough idle went back and checked all gaps and found the culprit. Runs smooth now.