Need advice thinking about buying Yukon/Tahoe soon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

airbornedoc

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a yukon 4x4, denali, with a multidisplacement engine within the next few days. I am leery because I have never had a GM product. I drove one for several days and was impressed. I had a Saab, which GM now owns, and GM refused to do warranty work on the convertible top, so I turned it in early on lease and took a several thousand dollar loss. So I haven't been impressed with GM since then.

I've driven the Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota 4Runner, Chev Suburban and Tahoe, GMC Yukon/Yukon XL/Denali

I thought about driving the Toyota Sequioa and Nissan Armada but I don't like their interior or outside looks.

So I am looking for any advice about the Tahoe or Yukon. Maybe I am looking for an excuse not to buy one based on my past experience. I am still trying to figure out the differences between the Denali and Tahoe.

Thanks

Airbornedoc

beach109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The regular Yukon and Tahoe are identical, separated by exterior fascias and some option package differences.

The Denali is an upgraded version of the Yukon with a specific 6.2L engine and 6-speed transmission, as well as more specific and upgraded wood and other details inside. Think of the Denali as the GMC Escalade of sorts, as it is the top model with the most features and specific engine, etc.

ALSO, based on your post, you may be a bit further confused. The Tahoe and Yukon come in 2wd or selectable 4wd (which can be run in 2wd, auto 4wd, etc.) and have the 5.3L with Active Fuel Management (a.k.a. cylinder deactivation). The Denali models come with a full-time AWD system only, and the 6.2L engine does NOT have the cylinder deactivation.

Hopefully that helps, considerably:thumbsup:

airbornedoc

Reaction score
Yep after looking at cars for a month I'm real confused.

I don't believe you can get a Denali in a multi-displacement engine. I believe the Denali only comes in the 6.2L and the biggest engine you can get in a multidisplacement engine is 6.0L

I didn't know you could only get fulltime AWD in the Denali. I don't know if I like the AWD. What is your opinion of AWD vs 4wd?

Can you get the 6speed tranny in the yukon (non-Denali)?

Is there any difference in residual value or resale value between GMC and Chevrolet?

Confusing as hell.

Thanks.

Airbornedoc

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe the 6 speed transmission will be available in anything but the Denali/Escalade until the 09 model year.

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've driven GM products all my life. Firebirds, Catalinas, GTO's, Corvettes, Tahoes, El Caminos, Cadillacs and once a Ford Bronco. Big mistake! Overall, been very satisfied with GM. FYI

GoldmistXL

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a yukon 4x4, denali, with a multidisplacement engine within the next few days. I am leery because I have never had a GM product. I drove one for several days and was impressed. I had a Saab, which GM now owns, and GM refused to do warranty work on the convertible top, so I turned it in early on lease and took a several thousand dollar loss. So I haven't been impressed with GM since then.

I've driven the Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota 4Runner, Chev Suburban and Tahoe, GMC Yukon/Yukon XL/Denali

I thought about driving the Toyota Sequioa and Nissan Armada but I don't like their interior or outside looks.

So I am looking for any advice about the Tahoe or Yukon. Maybe I am looking for an excuse not to buy one based on my past experience. I am still trying to figure out the differences between the Denali and Tahoe.

Thanks

Airbornedoc

Get the Denali. By the time you load up a Tahoe or Yukon with the options most people want, the price will be almost the same. Also can't emphasize how much better the 6.2 liter with 6 speed is than the 5.3 with 4 speed. The 6.2 has lots of torque so the engine does not have to constantly rev to high rpms to make power. Also the 6 speed's shifts are less abrupt because the additional gears make the shifts that do occur feel less severe. The 6.2 is wicked fast too.

airbornedoc

Reaction score
That post was a big help. I wonder what the difference in mileage is between the 5.3L with fuel management and the 6.2L?

airbornedoc

Reaction score
Plus I can't find anywhere in the literature that says you can buy an LTZ Tahoe with a 6.2L and 6 speed. Can anyone confirm this statement?

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus I can't find anywhere in the literature that says you can buy an LTZ Tahoe with a 6.2L and 6 speed. Can anyone confirm this statement?

I posted the answer to this question above. The answer is not until model year 2009. Also I believe the difference in mileage is 3mpg.

Ibcheeky

Reaction score

You can only get a LTZ two wheel drive with the 6.2L and 6 speed right now, the 4x4 version wont be offered till 09

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AWD vs 4WD: The AWD is meant to be used on the road, meaning that the system is not up to handling off-road driving. The 4WD system is made to handle driving off-road; it also allows the driver to select 2WD or 4WD auto.

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think as far as GMC and Chevy, one difference is the service received. Down here it seems like you get treated better at many GMC dealers then you do at Chevy dealers, but ONLY if you purchased the car there. For example, if you purchased a Yukon from Sewell GMC down here, you get free loaners for every service, etc etc etc. Chevy is just your ordinary dealer. But that is just down here, Im not sure about other areas.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
I think as far as GMC and Chevy, one difference is the service received. Down here it seems like you get treated better at many GMC dealers then you do at Chevy dealers, but ONLY if you purchased the car there. For example, if you purchased a Yukon from Sewell GMC down here, you get free loaners for every service, etc etc etc. Chevy is just your ordinary dealer. But that is just down here, Im not sure about other areas.

Aside from engine choices and body panels the vehicles are almost identical. They are great family haulers and I feel very safe and secure driving my Tahoe, as I don't think I would drive a smaller car, unless it was a Corvette, CTS or even a G8 I might make an exception for, but to me bigger is better. These are solid well built vehicles and you can't go wrong no matter which one you choose.

misonido

Reaction score
Being the former owner of a OBS Denali XL, the bigger engine is great to have but you do lose MPGs since you cannot put the vehicle in 2wd, which also takes away from towing capacity. The more power is great on the highway especially when you get the obnoxious MB S-class drivers behind you and show them that having a big V-8 is nothing compared to having a big V-8 and the better road view around/above other vehicles.

There is a lesson that I learned, and if you never owned an AWD vehicle pay attention, you cannot change just one tire on a AWD vehicle. After a blow-out on I-95 in SC and on vacation to FL, the natural desicion would be to just replace that one tire, after all the Denali only had 19K and 90% tread depth on it the Michelin Cross Terrains at the time . Well that 10% difference over an additional 70K would eventually disrupt the balance in the transfer case and the front end differential, creating that 4WD chatter while turning at slow speeds on pavement. Not a cheap fix in the long run when all could have been avoided if one or more tires were purchased and care taken to know where they were rotated to.

Sorry for rambling, but since I have learned that lesson I will eventually will get another AWD truck after my LTZ is paid for, looking to get the hybrid Escalade after all the bugs are worked out.