New Yukon (Kind of??) was over 1 year old when I bought it!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukonpyro

Reaction score
I just picked up my new 07 Yukon in June from a dealer in Florida and I had a hard time figuring out why I kept getting spider webs on the mirrors and on the hatch no matter how often I washed it. I finally spent some time looking around the car and found several spider nests around the spare tire. I thought this was a little odd and came to the conclusion that this truck must have been sitting somewhere for a long time. After checking the manufacturing date I noticed the car was built in March of 06!!!!! My car sat around dealer lots for OVER ONE YEAR......nearly 14 months. Have any of you noticed this on your Tahoe/Suburbans/Yukons?? The date is listed on a sticker inside the drivers door. Please let me know what you find. I know the warranty started from the day I bought the car, but the Florida sun is brutal on paint and the extreme heat during the summer is not friendly on plastic parts. Be sure to check this date before you pick yours up if have not bought yet!

BuckyT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to mention most dealers will cut you a deal on price on a vehicle they have had on the lot for a long time like that. Hope you got a good one. Mine was 22 days old when I got it.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Best When Used By" date?

Naw man, my XL Denali was only 32 days off the assembly line in Janesville WI when I took delivery. Wouldda been less than that if the dealer I had it xferred from (200 miles away) would've "shaken the lead out" a bit sooner... :) It was my second vehicle I've bought from this dealer here in VA, and they were great back in spring 2004, and great at the most recent purchase as well.

BUT, I wouldn't put it past any dealer though to sell a "stale" vehicle; ESPECIALLY a stale vehicle! First in, first out, if they can. There's a Chevy dealer here in town that has had 4 conversion Hoe's and Surburbans on their lot (right in front, in plain view of the major roadway) for going on like 6+ months. I bet the bonehead who ordered them got reamed out/canned. (Would YOU pay $59K for a Suburban? Yeah, they're sweet, but 59k?!?!? I might as well spend a bit more and get an Escalade for that much.)

At any rate, it sounds like your dealer's detail guys were sleeping when they prepped your ride at delivery. I wouldn't go back there. And call the Orkin Man!

Rich2007Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could also report it on the dreaded GM survey - that will make the dealer very uneasy - even the slightest mention of doing that to them will make them dance for you.

EchoBravo

Reaction score
it sounds like your dealer's detail guys were sleeping.
I was pretty disappointed with the dealer prep when I took delivery of my Tahoe two weeks ago. I'd hit 'em for it in the survey, but they bribe you with $40 gift certificates for perfect marks.

So let's see... Be truthful on the survey and never hear from anyone about it, or let them get away with less-than-perfect service and be paid for it.

Gimme, gimme, gimme!

07TahoeLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My prep was pretty good...

and the dealer gave me a $40 gift card for a restaurant and said if I brought the survey back to them completed, they would fill up my tank...I timed it perfectly..I swear, as I was pulling into the lot on Saturday the 'Low Fuel Light' came on...PERFECT. Got my gift certificate and a true full tank of gas!!! :thumbsup:

jimjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sad story. My 07 Yukon XL Denali was manufactured / delivered to the dealer in March 07. I bought it in June. So three months is ok. For the Suburban I ordered it customized. So there is no question for the rig to be brand new.

Jim

Greenage

Reaction score
My Denali was manufactured the end of April, so it had not been on the lot too long. FYI, right now, there is an extra $2,000 rebate on Tahoes/Yukons and $4,000 rebate on Suburbans/Yukon XL's that have a price effective date before 11/11/06. This is on top of the standard $2,000 rebate.

yukonpyro

Reaction score
Guys I really appreciate your feedback so far. I still have not decided how to handle this issue since I think it was pretty unfair. To make matters worse, the morning after I filled out the paperwork for the Yukon, (which was on another dealers lot) they told me the original truck I bought had been sold before I completed the paperwork the night before. Then they went to my backup color and found another vehicle in Cocoa Beach. I really wish I had checked the manufacturers date before I took delivery. It seems like someone must have figured out they could save some money by getting rid of a 14 month old truck to someone who didn't know better. By the way, I still have the survey without any marks on it yet. :shhh:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make 'em make it right!

By the way, I still have the survey without any marks on it yet. :shhh:
Call the dealership and tell them you want to speak with the sales manager. Tell the manager how unhappy you are with the situation. Inform them that your survey will reflect your unhappiness unless they are able to make the situation right. Tell them they can make it right by providing you with a package including: 1) Professional paint sealant application if you didn't already pay for that; 2) Reimbursement for a complete PROFESSIONAL detail (after the sealant has cured) to include the engine compartment and undercarriage (many dealerships use an outside contractor who does a heck of a better job than their "car wash attendant" at the dealership.), and 3) a voucher for some free GMC accessories from their Parts Department (look and see what you like, within reason, and tell them). Explain your frustration and disgust with the situation. Find out who the regional / district manager is, and name him/her by name and explain that "Mr. Bigshot" might be able to help you find another dealer who will resolve the situation to your satisfaction, especially since you're considering being completely blunt on the survey.

If you were to get any one of the items above, let alone all three, for no charge, I'd call it a success. THEN, and ONLY THEN, deliver a survey that reflects what you went through in the comments section, and has marks that the dealership and sales people will be happy with since they DID make you happy (right?).

If you really don't get anywhere with your dealer, FIND OUT who the district manager is and contact GM. Send in a nasty survey. Never return to that dealership, not even for service, and point out you'll never be back and will recommend your friends and family never go there either.