Not happy with my 08 Tahoe and dealership....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

300C SRT8

Reaction score
:rolleyes2: Let me first start off with a little background information. I just purchased my 2008 Tahoe LS at the end of March because of a 0% promotion that I couldn’t pass up.

About 1 day after I purchased the vehicle I notice rattling from the rear passenger and front drivers door.. not loud, but annoying enough to have to keep the radio on to not let it bother me. The next day, I accidentally turned my rear wiper on while making a left turn and I hear a 'screech' sound, and immediately checked out what happened when I got him. I noticed a pretty deep scratch where it looks like the wiper might have caused it.. but I cant be sure. Either way, it’s a deep scratch and the vehicle is brand new and I am almost certain turning on the wiper caused it.

Also, I notice the ebony cloth seats are DISGUSTING. They attract lint like a pet hair roller, and my wife refuses to ride in the vehicle unless we get leather because the seats are never clean. If she wears any type of nice clothes she has to lint roll her entire body because of the nasty seats. I cleaned the back seats the other day, and they are filthy again 3 days later.. and no one has even sat in them since!

Anyway, I take it back to the dealer and they fix the rear passenger doors rattling. But they claim to not hear the rattling in the driver’s door, and being that it was 5:30pm and I needed my vehicle, I took it and left unhappy.

I immediately called the GM Customer Service line someone posted online about complaining about their seats. I speak to a gentleman at GM and he advises me to take it to another dealership here in Orange County called Foothill Ranch Chevrolet, which is owned by a guy named Joe Dursham (more on that later).

He advises me to drop the vehicle off at this dealership and see a service writer, and let him know of all my issues. So I drop the Tahoe off @ 8am today, and told them about the rattling in the doors, the crappy leather, excessive wind noise, and the scratch on the window.

I get a call about 3pm today, and they said they are closing out my repair order because they cant hear anything. They said there is a known TSB about the seats for the past year, and GM gas no fix for it so I am SOL. They said the scratch can be from anything (I expected that though). The service writer (a guy named Mundo..lol) basically was calling me out and saying I am crazy… no one can hear this rattling. I ask him to go for a ride… and we do… and he STILL claimed to not hear any rattling from the driver’s side door (the worst one). I was starting to get the feeling he was lying to me… strange, but you had to be deaf to not hear it!! Its extremely annoying.

So we get back to the dealership after the ride, and start messing with the door to reproduce the sound. I tap on the drivers door, and it sounds like a baby rattle! He claims that is ‘normal’. I immediately ask him to try this on another Tahoe, and what do you know? NO RATTLING. He then says that he is not concerned with anyone else’s Tahoe’s except mine… and he can attempt to fix it but cant promise it will not rattle. I said to him that if all the other Tahoe’s do not rattle, then I want mine just like any other brand new Tahoe and he laughed and said he doesn’t care about any other Tahoe except mine, and if my Tahoe rattles, its within normal specs because he couldn’t hear it.

At that point I am pretty pissed. I am asking other service writers to hear the rattle, and they say they can and he still denies it is an issue. The owner (Joe Dursham) comes over to me and tells me to leave and is very unprofessional by raising his voice at me. I then proceed to tell him I have purchased 2 other Chevrolets from him, and referred by buddy who just bought a 08 C6 from him 1 month ago and he said he could care less…. Whatever it is AVOID Foothill Ranch Chevrolet and Joe Dursham like the plague… they said they don’t care what is wrong with my Tahoe, and wouldn’t even let me test drive another one to hear the difference. This guy is an unprofessional arrogant little guy, and he basically told a customer to F off.

Now I have no idea what to do. I have a brand new 2008 Tahoe with disgusting lint infested seats, rattling door panels, loud wind noise, and a deep gash on my back window and I was told to go screw myself essentially. This will be the last GM product I ever own, which sucks because I want to like my new Tahoe. But dealerships like Foothill Ranch Chevy give GM a bad name… Any advice?!?!?
:mad2:

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bunch of jackasses running the show over there. Thats one of the bad habits of dealers that sell such a diverse lineup of cars. The thing is, the guy that goes to a Chevy dealer and buys a higher-end vehicle like a Tahoe or Vette(you) gets treated the same way as the guy who buys a Malibu...like crap. You're not the only person this happens to. My father had similar troubles, but not on the scale of yours.

Best advice I can give is not take any crap. Don't stand down for anybody because you're the one who's paying everyone over there. Get Mundo a hearing aide.

300C SRT8

Reaction score
This is my second dealership. Problem is that I do not have the time to keep doing this, I bought a new vehicle to avoid problems like rattling and windnoise. This is so upsetting to me... it makes me regret my purchase. How many dealerships do I need to try? This is pathetic.. to get treated the way Foothill Ranch Chevrolet did makes me think I should never buy a GM vehicle.. its like they were telling me in some way that GMs and Chevys were pieces of crap and thats normal to rattle... im sorry, but my other car is a 2007 Chrysler 300C SRT8 and it drives like a Mercedes compared to this thing. Quiet, smooth, and comfortable.. I told them that and they laughed.. its not funny to me, my SRT8 was $45K and the Tahoe was $40K .. I feel like I bought something that is much higher quality than my Tahoe for essentially the same price.

I had one issue with my SRT8.. and it was the windshield making wind noise when I first bought it.. took it to the dealership and they treated me like a king. It was great, Chrysler paid for a rental (first Chevy dealer said GM wouldnt issue a rental unless its a safety hazard) and never had a problem since.

I should have bought a Jeep SRT8, now I am stuck... hopefully this can be fixed, but this is disappointing as I dont have the time between running a business and having a pregnant wife to be messing around with this...

How do you guys with Ebony cloth seats even enjoy sitting in the seats? How do you keep them clean? They are disgusting... and I think its sad I need to pay $1400+ to get aftermarket leather in order to enjoy my brand new SUV..... I am sick of GM. This is my 4th and last GM product..

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it to another dealer. Just a pointer, if you go in angry, they aren't going to want to help you. Go in and be polite and you might have better luck. If you have been polite, fine, i'm just saying...

300C SRT8

Reaction score
Of course Gambler. I was polite to both dealerships, and always try maintain a professional approach to situations, as they are resolved more effectively in that manner.

Obviously I was a little upset to hear someone tell me that I essentially have to 'deal' with it and that it is 'normal' and they cant fix my SUV that I just bought brand new. Its frustrating taking the time out of your day twice now to resolve problems that should be non-existant when purchasing a brand new vehicle.

What is not polite is a dealership and an owner like Mr. Joe Dursham to tell you they dont care about your business and the referrals you sent them because you are not happy with your brand new vehicle. Maybe GM should start giving classes on how to treat customers to their dealerships, because they are extremely unprofessional and unwilling to satisfy an unhappy customer.

jlcvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your local television station have a consumer reports department or some thing like that? I’ve seen in my area when people got the local station involved, the dealer bent over backwards to help out the customer plus changed their scrappy attitudes. To them your only one person so they don’t care, but when it might hurt them on a much bigger level they suddenly turn into MR. nice guy. I wish these places would start to hire more competent people. About your interior problem, I can’t see them doing anything about that, your only solution seems to be change it yourself and that really sucks on NEW vehicle.:mad: Good luck and keep us apprised on your situation.

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it's because of these horrible dealerships that GM suffers.

I have to drive 45 miles to bring my vehicles to a competent dealership that I trust and who won't tell me my cold air intake has just voided my entire warranty....lol I love when they pull that!

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would've kicked Joe in the nuts and told him that a kick in his nuts is within normal specs.

Seriously, you've been to 2 dealers who basically told you to GFY. Call chevy and calmly explain the situation and give them 1 chance to make you happy.
Keep the receipts of the 2 times you took the tahoe in for service under warranty. If chevy cant fix it and make you happy then take it in to a dealer once a week for a month until they fix it, complain about the rattle and the seats , keep the receipts. If they cannot fix it then you have a lemon under california's lemon law. At that point I would contact a lemon law attorney for advice.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would've kicked Joe in the nuts and told him that a kick in his nuts is within normal specs.

Seriously, you've been to 2 dealers who basically told you to GFY. Call chevy and calmly explain the situation and give them 1 chance to make you happy.
Keep the receipts of the 2 times you took the tahoe in for service under warranty. If chevy cant fix it and make you happy then take it in to a dealer once a week for a month until they fix it, complain about the rattle and the seats , keep the receipts. If they cannot fix it then you have a lemon under california's lemon law. At that point I would contact a lemon law attorney for advice.

I agree. You keep shopping that vehicle no matter how inconvenient it is, otherwise you're the one who is still gonna have to live with even worse losses, like if you sell it OR keep it. And when you call Chevy make a deal about the fact that it was the dealership they recommended who's OWNER told you to get lost because one smartass refused to help you even though other advisors acknowledged your complaint. To get everything in writing is to build a winning case. If you need a LL attorney in SoCal I've got one that worked a max refund for me on a questionable case. But you need to shop it over and over for anything you can find.

OSU_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my second dealership. Problem is that I do not have the time to keep doing this, I bought a new vehicle to avoid problems like rattling and windnoise. This is so upsetting to me... it makes me regret my purchase. How many dealerships do I need to try? This is pathetic.. to get treated the way Foothill Ranch Chevrolet did makes me think I should never buy a GM vehicle.. its like they were telling me in some way that GMs and Chevys were pieces of crap and thats normal to rattle... im sorry, but my other car is a 2007 Chrysler 300C SRT8 and it drives like a Mercedes compared to this thing. Quiet, smooth, and comfortable.. I told them that and they laughed.. its not funny to me, my SRT8 was $45K and the Tahoe was $40K .. I feel like I bought something that is much higher quality than my Tahoe for essentially the same price.

I had one issue with my SRT8.. and it was the windshield making wind noise when I first bought it.. took it to the dealership and they treated me like a king. It was great, Chrysler paid for a rental (first Chevy dealer said GM wouldnt issue a rental unless its a safety hazard) and never had a problem since.

I should have bought a Jeep SRT8, now I am stuck... hopefully this can be fixed, but this is disappointing as I dont have the time between running a business and having a pregnant wife to be messing around with this...

How do you guys with Ebony cloth seats even enjoy sitting in the seats? How do you keep them clean? They are disgusting... and I think its sad I need to pay $1400+ to get aftermarket leather in order to enjoy my brand new SUV..... I am sick of GM. This is my 4th and last GM product..

300C -

Do a search for 'TSB for ebony cloth material' and you'll find a multi-page post about this issue, along with some suggestions to use as a bandaid until there's hopefully a permanent fix. Personally I used some scotchguard spray which helps the accumulated crap come off a bit easier (a carwash vac or shop vac will now remove it) but it's by no means a permanent fix, and it hasn't slowed down the accumulation. I've always carried a small lint brush in my briefcase just in case; now I carry a bigger one in the Tahoe as well. Torques me off to have to lint brush my suits every time I get out of a brand new big $$ SUV.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's really simple. Get seat covers or have leather put in it, obviously there's no magic spray that's going to make your cloth nice like you want, the fabric sucks. As for the others, keep going to different dealerships until you find one that will help you out, I went to 3 before I found one that I was happy with. And as for the window, well, that sucks, but it's not exactly Chevy's fault :confused:.

300C SRT8

Reaction score
Well it gets better. I just talked to my GM rep yesterday.. turns out they lied to me at the dealership the other day, the owners name is actually MARK DERSHEM. So that pissed me off right there.

Now my GM rep is saying there is nothing that they can do about the seats :mad2:

He said GM's engineers are "aware of the problem, and no fix is available. Until there is a fix, I will have to wait until I am notified by GM. The GM engineers are working deligently to resolve the issue"... so I said how long has this been a known problem??? He couldnt tell me... he said they have NO IDEA when this problem will be fixed.

I then get into it with the GM rep.. Cameron Ulrick or whatever his name is, and I asked why did Chevrolet sell me a vehicle with a KNOWN defective part in it? Why was there not an asterisk on my window sticker such as "Ebony Cloth Seats*" stating they are a defective product that is awaiting a fix? Why was this not disclosed to me as a consumer that I would be purchasing a product with known defects, and why was my dealership and salesperson not instructed to disclose this to me before my purchase?

He could only say that he apologizes for them not disclosing to me of the problem, which they should have (!)... and that GM has NO FIX and NO WORKAROUND and has NO ETA when the problem will be resolved. I asked if I could get a leather upgrade at their cost, and he kept repeating the sentence "GM's engineers are aware of the problem, and no fix is available. Until there is a fix, I will have to wait until I am notified by GM. The GM engineers are working deligently to resolve the issue" OVER AND OVER... I was sooo frustrated, I asked for GM's corporate number and the person who is higher than him, and he stated he did not -KNOW- his managers name OR the corporate number to GM.. that his branch office does not KNOW (not that they arent allowed to give it out) the number to their corporate offices.

So after buying over $120K in GM vehicles in the past 10 years, they tell me to F MYSELF. Let it be known I will NEVER buy another GM product in my life again... this is pathetic they are selling Tahoe's with cloth interior when it is known to be defective.... I swear, this is class action lawsuit material right here!!!

I wish I would have just bought the LT with leather, as I am now FORCED into buying aftermarket leather because GM sold me a known defective product that requires a fix that is not available, or not known when it will be available. My wife and I wanted cloth because we are expecting a baby, and figured the leather would be destroyed by a carseat.. when in fact the cloth is worse than destroyed leather at this point.

Thank you GM for NOTHING... I hope you go out of business... and thanks to Foothill Ranch Chevrolet in Orange County California and to the owner Mark Dershem for giving me the worst experience in any type of car purchase...

I wonder what people would be saying if people were out buying Pioneer or Toshiba TVs that were sold with defective parts.. that were KNOWN to be defective... just to find out you are STUCK and not happy with it??? Screw GM, I hope they go out of business... :mad2: And to think, my wife was actually ok with me getting a new CTS-V next year... FORGET IT!

DownTownDru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think black cloth seat fabric in general sucks. I constantly was taking duct tape to the black cloth in my 2000 toyota solara and 1996 ford thunderbird to take the crap out of it. Even my 1987 ford taurus with dark grey velour was a pain in the ass.

I don't disagree that you have had an effed up experience with this. I know that I personally would never do a dark interior if I was going cloth again.

DTD

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sold something with a known defect?
Take the dealer you bought the vehicle from to small claims court for the cost of replacing the seats to leather.
Get all the documentation you can about it being a known defect.
It's a slam dunk win.

300C SRT8

Reaction score
You are a genius.... I am going to do this... I just saw a website called CivilTree.com that files and serves small claims lawsuits for you for free, they just tack on their cost on top of the amount requested in damages.

I wonder if I need to first buy the leather seats, or could I maybe sue for the cost of replacing with leather? I might need to wait because they might want to actually see the seats on the truck first..

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rafael is right, just make sure they didn't document it anywhere in your paperwork. If they did provide you with the info, then you are SOL.

300C SRT8

Reaction score
I dont think they did, but I will double check.. that would be pathetic if they put that in the paperwork but didnt tell me of the problem... :mad2:

EasyRyder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sux about your bad experience with these scumbags dealerships. ive had a bad experience too, so if you can get them back throw in a couple punches on my behalf too! : )