Odd noise coming from back of 2002 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

italianstallion323

Reaction score
Ok, when I am traveling at or above around 40 mph, a weird noise that sounds exactly like a cd player skipping or searching comes from the rear/cargo area of the car. It seems to be made worse when i go over a slight hump in the road, but as soon brakes are applied it goes away. Can anybody shed some light on this? Thanks.

Last edited:

Ickulus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, when I am traveling at or above around 40 mph, a weird noise that sounds exactly like a cd player skipping or searching comes from the rear/cargo area of the car. It seems to be made worse when i go over a slight hump in the road, but as soon brakes are applied it goes away. Can anybody shed some light on this? Thanks.

What song is playing in the CD player?

italianstallion323

Reaction score
It's not the cd player, the noise sounds like when a cd player is searching for a track or skipping.<---(this is as best as i can describe it)It's like an oily, continuous creaking noise. The sound is coming from the rear cargo area of the truck.

M.M. 700

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked your rear brake pads? Maybe the metal brake pad indicator is rubbing on the rotors

Biznass

Reaction score
Could also be something in the differential. I used to have an 03 Sierra that made a similar sound and ended up being the rear pinion gear. That may be why you don't hear it until you get around 40mph, as the gears don't get moving fast enough so you hear the noise in the truck.