OnStar Renewal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I've owned the Tahoe for a year, but that means my "free" year of OnStar is also up. I called them up and asked if they had any deals, she said no. I said, well I don't want to pay $200/year, so do I have to do anything to cancel, or will it just happen automatically. She said she'd transfer me to the cancellation dept. The guy with the cancellation dept. asked why I wanted to cancel, I said it costs too much. He said they'd hate to lose me and would offer me a promotional deal of $12.95 a month (or $155/yr) which is about 25% off. I'm thinking, didn't I just ask that? I renewed as that is a more reasonable price, still probably too much for how much I use it though... Anyway, since they are kind of deceptive about it, I thought I'd inform you all of how to get the deal.

Just an FYI for those Tahoe anniversaries coming up.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the same way with XM. You have to try to cancel to get the $6.50/mo rate.

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to double check my free trial expiration date. Last time I checked my acct I thought it listed 11-21-08. But Onstar automaticly charged my credit card $18 this month(oct). I wasn't sure if it was worth keeping. I never use it and I already have the factory Nav system. I want to call my insurance company to see what I may be saving by having Onstar.

Would love to hear other opinions.

Last edited:

Daryl

Reaction score
Interesting to note. My onstar is up in March; not sure what I'll do since I've really never used it. Two of my neighbors told me about the XM deal, which is one I'll definetely persue. I haven't listened to anything but XM since I get it in August.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow. thats not a bad deal. But I have free onstar for the entire life of the vehicle. Got that with a specail packedge I ordered when i bought my yukon. Xm I need to work on a bit.

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got an e-mail from Onstar saying that the phone minutes I paid for were going to expire when my Onstar subscription expired in October. I paid them for those minutes and I have around 120 minutes that I haven't used yet. I'm not too happy about them just canceling minutes that I prepaid for. Has anyone else had this happen and were you able to talk them out of it and get those minutes rolled over?

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
funny thing is...now that GM is adding blue-tooth to the new models, will OnStar be able to sell any minutes in the future?

and come on folks. over 100 views and very little posts. I'm sure most got at least a trial of OnStar.

sarahw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got an e-mail from Onstar saying that the phone minutes I paid for were going to expire when my Onstar subscription expired in October. I paid them for those minutes and I have around 120 minutes that I haven't used yet. I'm not too happy about them just canceling minutes that I prepaid for. Has anyone else had this happen and were you able to talk them out of it and get those minutes rolled over?

Your minutes won't work anyhow if you don't have OnStar. If you renew OnStar they will roll over the minutes for you.

sarahw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to double check my free trial expiration date. Last time I checked my acct I thought it listed 11-21-08. But Onstar automaticly charged my credit card $18 this month(oct). I wasn't sure if it was worth keeping. I never use it and I already have the factory Nav system. I want to call my insurance company to see what I may be saving by having Onstar.

Would love to hear other opinions.

You must have given them your credit card number when you activated your account. Call them and tell 'em you're cancelling; they WILL offer you the deal. Also, if you don't want them automatically charging your card be sure to tell them that, too. I did this several months ago and got the $12/month deal on my Caddy, but I still have 8 months to go before my free trial expires on the Tahoe.

Note that this "deal" is for the basic OnStar, not the "Directions and Connections" plan.

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must have given them your credit card number when you activated your account. Call them and tell 'em you're cancelling; they WILL offer you the deal. Also, if you don't want them automatically charging your card be sure to tell them that, too. I did this several months ago and got the $12/month deal on my Caddy, but I still have 8 months to go before my free trial expires on the Tahoe.

Note that this "deal" is for the basic OnStar, not the "Directions and Connections" plan.

just what i plan to do. I also love credit cards. I can call any day I please and tell them that I did not authorize a charge. It will be removed just like that. No hassle.

I'm just not sure I need onstar. as I said, I already have Nav system and I keep a spare key in my wallet.h No need for "Directions and Connections" plan. $200 bucks aint much, but I could also buy something nice with $200 :p I need to make up my mind soon. Maybe $200 on a Lockpick?

sarahw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They will let you "pay as you go". You can pay the $12.95/mo until you decide if you really want to cancel.

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool..I'll give them a quick call. I really wish they had better packages with more features to offer. I guess if one planned to do renew the XM radio you'd have no other choice.

kinda sucks...LOL :D Sorta like if you want to marry a woman, you'd have to put up with her mother from time to time.