Plugs / Wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short extension and an angle socket. I also used a longer extension to get around the steering shaft. Take your time and it will still be done in less than an hour. Might want to take the time and clean out your throttle body and mass air sensor too. Coolant mod is easy to do as well:
http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=9785

at the risk of sounding like a total cheese-nutts... how often should i be cleaning my throttle body? I will be removing my coolant bypass this weekend as i like in arizona and have no need for this in my engine

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was thinkin about doing pluggs and wires... just dont know if the truck needs it at 75k... maybe i will wait another 10k, or maybe when i get bored one saturday and have an extra $50 layin around i will just do it for sh*ts and grins

Mine only has 65k on it... and it definitely improved the powerband. :thumbsup:

P.S. Did the coolant mod on my Z28... and saw NOTHING.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at the risk of sounding like a total cheese-nutts... how often should i be cleaning my throttle body? I will be removing my coolant bypass this weekend as i like in arizona and have no need for this in my engine
I clean mine every time I clean my air filter, really easy to do with the coolant mod. I didn't notice any difference in power with the tb bypass but it makes it much easier to clean the tb and should have some positive effect during the warmer months.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I clean mine every time I clean my air filter, really easy to do with the coolant mod. I didn't notice any difference in power with the tb bypass but it makes it much easier to clean the tb and should have some positive effect during the warmer months.

boost, when you clean your TB out, do you pull the whole assembly off? Then, what do you use? I figure some gumout intake and throttle body cleaner would do but i figure i would ask for some input

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the entire assembly off and used some crc throttle body cleaner. You'll be amazed at how much nasty sh*t comes out. Don't forget to buy a new gasket too.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did my plugs and wires this evening, second to last plug going in.... droped to the floor! broke the sh*t out of it, going to have to go pick up one more tomorrow morning to finish the job... damn it all to hell! it wasnt to bad though, driver side pissed me of more than the passenger side

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driver's side is kind of a bitch but they aren't too bad. Try changing plugs on a 3rd gen rx7. Four plugs and they're so fvckin hard to change, weird looking too
NGKtop.jpg

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those are some weird lookin pluggs... i hate gapping my own pluggs too! for whatever reason i never trust that i got it right... oh well, not looking forward to having to climb into my motor AGAIN in the morning... cant believe i dropped the plugg, maybe next time i should wait on the beer till I am done with the job at hand. '

your nali almost done?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of paint today I think, or monday. I'm not even guessing anymore he can take as long as he wants just as long as the truck is done right. Lots of prep for the smooth caps and I think he was painting the passenger door as well. Once it's back they still have to put all the glass back in along with a new windshield. Borrowed my buddy's taco so it's all good tho.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW. I bought my 2000 'Ho last December with just under 90K miles on it. I changed the plugs at just under 92 K miles. I know some people don't care for the Bosch wires but I wanted to change wires and they were in my budget. I used NGK TR55 GP G-Power plats left at the factory gap. I checked their web site and they said not to adjust the gap. Before the change my mileage ranged from 12.0 to 13.8 mixed driving. Now the lowest I've seen is 14.5 and I'm getting just over 17 highway.

Davco

Reaction score
I just bought a set of plugs to install tomorrow after church. I'm hoping for an increase in gas mileage as the truck has 120k on it.

One thing: I bought ac delco plugs........sorry guys, I know the recommended plug from this site is NKG but the truck is just a daily driver for my wife.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a set of plugs to install tomorrow after church. I'm hoping for an increase in gas mileage as the truck has 120k on it.

One thing: I bought ac delco plugs........sorry guys, I know the recommended plug from this site is NKG but the truck is just a daily driver for my wife.

you do realize the NGK V-powers are only 1.99 per... just thought i would let you know. But i dont think the AC Delco pluggs are bad by any means, thats what was OEM in my truck

Davco

Reaction score
you do realize the NGK V-powers are only 1.99 per... just thought i would let you know. But i dont think the AC Delco pluggs are bad by any means, thats what was OEM in my truck

Yeah, the ac delco plugs are 6.99 each. I just wanted to put the OEM plugs in it. Also, I didn't have to pay for the plugs. Ultimately, it will still be cheaper than the $350 the dealer wanted to change the plugs.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the entire assembly off and used some crc throttle body cleaner. You'll be amazed at how much nasty sh*t comes out. Don't forget to buy a new gasket too.

I was thinking about getting into this tonight... wanted to ask you about how long this would take (obviously still have the coolant bypass in place) i dont feel like being up till 1 am... doesnt look dificult by any means, just fiured i would ask... i might just wait a month or so till it starts cooling down, its still over 100 degrees here during the day and not much better at night

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

NGK is what was in my 'Hoe... maybe it had a tuneup prior to mine... but AC Delco's are good... NGK's are too... and they're cheaper... (TR5 V-power... as Ty said... $1.99)

No reason to be sorry... it's your car! :thumbsup:

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should take you about an hour to clean the tb and do the delete, maybe two if you take your time and drink a few beers.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should take you about an hour to clean the tb and do the delete, maybe two if you take your time and drink a few beers.

LOL... I think Ty's proven that "drink a few beers" is a bad idea...

oh well, not looking forward to having to climb into my motor AGAIN in the morning... cant believe i dropped the plugg, maybe next time i should wait on the beer till I am done with the job at hand. '

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol I work better when I'm a little drunk. I also seem to be more efficient with the help of a little green, guess it doesn't work for everyone tho.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol I work better when I'm a little drunk. I also seem to be more efficient with the help of a little green, guess it doesn't work for everyone tho.

yup! cant work on cars without a miller lite in my hand... had to give up the herbal treatments for my son (at least 95% of the time)

Davco

Reaction score
Wow. I love it when an easy job becomes instantly hard.:nonod:

I just finished changing all the plugs and it was ok except for the plugs that are closest to the firewall (driver and passenger). The passenger side was the worst b/c I had to get under the vehicle to get the plug back in. The killing part is that I broke the very last plug wire. It was fine and I pulled by the boot but the metal piece broke inside the boot and so I still had 1 inch of metal on the plug after I removed the wire.

So then I drove 15 minutes (one way) to napa to get some wires and they need to know what kind of ignition I have...delphi or mitsubishi. I tried to call my wife to get her to read the numbers off the coil but I couldn't get in touch with her. Then I had to drive 15 minutes back home to find out I have a delphi ignition.

Now I have to drive back and get new wires....I guess I'll get a fuel filter too.

I'm going to spend a total of 1 hour driving for parts on a job that should have taken 1 1/2 hours until the plug wire broke.:mad3:

BTW. My OEM plugs say AC Delco on one side and NKG on the other.