Which is the best intake?

• AEM

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • K&N

Votes: 82 49.1%
  • Volant

Votes: 49 29.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No intake will show a substantial gain at low rpm, they will only show a gain where the stock intake is a restriction which is in the upper rpm. Really, will just be personal preference.

Cobra

Reaction score
K&N 77 series. Pretty satisfied with it plus I like the lil shine it gives under the hood..

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No intake will show a substantial gain at low rpm, they will only show a gain where the stock intake is a restriction which is in the upper rpm. Really, will just be personal preference.

Jenna, that being said, would you say that the airbox mod is a good idea? If you haven't read the thread, it's just a hole drilled in the bottom of the factory airbox with an extension tube (either dryer tubing or ABS or PVC, whatever you want to use) leading down into the area in front of the wheel well. It's supposed to draw in much more cold air at the upper RPMs.

I would think that the modded airbox with a free-flowing panel filter and an aftermarket "smooth" tube leading to the throttle body would be a cheaper and easier way to acheive the same effect...but I'm no expert.

Last edited:

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Would you be removing the shelf that sits under the current filter? The tube is by far the biggest restriction in a stock system, so I would think that by replacing it, you would be just fine.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shelf doesnt get removed entirely, you just drill a corresponding hole in the shelf that matches the one in the airbox, and run the tube through both the box and the shelf.

As soon as I come up with a way to mount the MAF to the ABS tubing, I'll be doing this. Shouldn't be too hard. I'll be interested to see what kind of gains this provides versus an actual intake kit when I do my cable tune. What I'd REALLY like to do is get the electric fan mod done so that I'll have more room to work the intake tubing...but I don't have nearly enough money right now for everything. :cryin:

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yuke2K, let me know when you do the tube mod. I have a '00 Tahoe 5.3, and may try it as well. I'm not too far away from you.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are tons of tubes that are already made with the MAF sesor section already built for very very cheap. If anyone has pulled the stock intake out they would see how REDICULOUS this thing is... it has 'heat' pickups all over the place that are restricing the crap out of the air flow not to mention all the extra engine heat this thing picks up. I want to just buy a new tube and than drill a hole in the front of the air box directly behind the head light to pickup more air.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yuke2K, let me know when you do the tube mod. I have a '00 Tahoe 5.3, and may try it as well. I'm not too far away from you.

I'll PM you when I get around to trying it. Not in the financial cards for the time being, but we can get together and help hack each other's airboxes apart when I get the money together, lol. :thumbsup:

I live off 85 near Titan Parkway. Littleton address, although I'm basically wedged between Highland's Ranch and Sedalia.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are tons of tubes that are already made with the MAF sesor section already built for very very cheap.

Are you talking about the ones from Pep Boys and the like? I've seen them before but couldn't recall whether or not they were big enough. IIRC, the ones I saw at the store were mostly meant for the fart cannon crowd and weren't a very big diameter. Do you happen to have a link to something better?

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll PM you when I get around to trying it. Not in the financial cards for the time being, but we can get together and help hack each other's airboxes apart when I get the money together, lol. :thumbsup:

I live off 85 near Titan Parkway. Littleton address, although I'm basically wedged between Highland's Ranch and Sedalia.

Sounds good. I'm in Denver, but southwest. Pretty much Hampden & Sheridan. Not too far from you at all.

How much is this mod approximately? I thought it was just a matter of buying some ABS/PVC pipe, drilling the hole in the airbox and squeezing the tube in there?? :p

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. I'm in Denver, but southwest. Pretty much Hampden & Sheridan. Not too far from you at all.

How much is this mod approximately? I thought it was just a matter of buying some ABS/PVC pipe, drilling the hole in the airbox and squeezing the tube in there?? :p

Haha, yeah, thats about it...but we're undergoing a little financial hardship right now so $30-$50 for parts isn't easy to come by for the time being. :nonod:

I could do it super cheap with the dryer tubing, but that's just not my style. I'm a "do it once, do it right" type of guy. I'd much rather fab the tubes out of ABS with silicone couplers and make it nice and clean.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the ones from Pep Boys and the like? I've seen them before but couldn't recall whether or not they were big enough. IIRC, the ones I saw at the store were mostly meant for the fart cannon crowd and weren't a very big diameter. Do you happen to have a link to something better?

no links, but i think if you go to ebay and search "tahoe intake" and than go look for the cheapest items, you will find what i am talking about

animalbmx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just find the cheapest intake on ebay they all do the same thing...I bought my intake for like 120 I think with my ebay coupon. It was from" spectre performance". When I was getting my blackbear tune Justin said it performed as well as the AEM bruteforce so I was pleased to hear that!
IMG_0206.jpg

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the filtering specs are on the Spectre compared to the Brute Force but the intake tube looks identical to my AEM.

Blizzardx23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the K&N FIPK and it is wonderful. Before I installed the Flowmaster, you could hear the intake suck in all that air...it was bad ass...I used to always hit the gas real quick to make that loud intake sound at the lights lol...now the exhaust drowns out the intake.

I took the shelf out and theres been no issues...so now you can see a large clear path from intake to the ground which is how it pulls most of the air..(and of course, the hot air from engine bay)

This however is temp. as I will ditch the K&N and fabricate my own intake system when I get back to the states.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the K&N FIPK and it is wonderful. Before I installed the Flowmaster, you could hear the intake suck in all that air...it was bad ass...I used to always hit the gas real quick to make that loud intake sound at the lights lol...now the exhaust drowns out the intake.

I took the shelf out and theres been no issues...so now you can see a large clear path from intake to the ground which is how it pulls most of the air..(and of course, the hot air from engine bay)

This however is temp. as I will ditch the K&N and fabricate my own intake system when I get back to the states.

im curious to know what you have in mind? any details?

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Blizzardx23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ohh no...no details till I make it! ;) lol...sorry, but it'll be a few months..
I will however say that its similar to some of the guys here who have their intake duct down to the lower bumper grill.
Can anyone help with the link to that thread? I came across it but cant remember how